Nomadic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nomadic

Has anyone on here ever chosen a nomadic lifestyle before?

I recently found out that my current career path has a group of people called travelers. I guess they're pretty common in medical fields. Basically they get assignments all over the US to fill in when there's a staffing situation or an overabundance of work and spend about three months at each location. Why would anyone do that? Well, they get paid a lot. $30/hr is about average from what I've seen. Sometimes as low as $20 sometimes as high as $40 or $50. And sometimes they subsidize housing on top of that. With that kind of money, I could work and my hubby could be a stay at home dad and we could travel around the US. Homeschool the kiddo. Etc.

What I'm wondering is what kind of costs are you looking at? We're thinking of getting an RV, but how much is it to camp for a month? What is upkeep like on an RV? If anyone has done anything similar, what were the ups and downs? Did you enjoy it? Budgeting and how that works, etc.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Nomadic

I haven't done it, but I think $20 isn't enough to do it with a family.

I make more than that and sometimes staying in one place is too expensive. Overall, an RV can be as expensive as a house to maintain, especially with gas prices being what they are. I would also think it might lead to a pretty isolated childhood, but this is just conjecture, because I have no real experience.

Do any of the folks you know that do this have families? What do they say?

Comment

I've only met the one person that I work with. He has a daughter, but she lives at home. I do wonder about socializing, but I do think we could make it work, we'd just have to make an effort to be involved. And with the internet, gaming, etc a lot of socialization these days is through a screen. It might be unfortunate, but that is the way it's going. This is my biggest concern though.

When it comes to income, there's also a good chance of having housing subsidized on top of the salary. Which can be as much as $50 a day. And while $20/hr is the low, $30 is about average from what I've heard. That adds up to quite a bit extra. I'm not sure exactly how it will all work, budget wise, but we make about $20/hr combined now and we think we might be able to save up enough for a cheap RV and buy it outright by the time I'll have enough experience to do this, between taxes, etc. Then, with saving, we hope to move up to a newer one in another five years or so. Also, we wouldn't have the mortgage we have now, or if we did choose to keep the house we would probably rent it for about $1000/month (that's what a three bed goes for around here) and our payment is only $550 so... a tad more income. We would probably have a decent sized car payment though as we would have to buy a towing vehicle, truck, jeep, something. But we can buy used there which would save quite a bit on the payment.

I'm really going to have to sit down a crunch numbers, but even if it's not quite enough, there's a good chance the hubby would be able to get some sort of part time temp job that works with whatever my hours are. Which would be the extra boost we need.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I'm going to agree with RW that its probably not as much money as you think. Hubby worked as a contractor. He made $25/hr, housing was provided, and a rental car (which meant I still had my car to use), plus he got locality pay since our residence was out of state. Granted, we had one more kid to take care of...but, we couldn't make it work. There's not always continuity of work. Plus, I had health issues that were expensive, even with insurance.

I'm not trying to say its a bad idea, just that its not necessairly going to be better financially if you are looking to go into this for financial reasons.

And, I agree that it is an isolating way to homeschool since you won't be in the same place for long enough to really be part of a homeschooling group (assuming you can find one you mesh with).

Also, I'd definately want to keep the house...paying equity into it, plus the tax break--and you have a place to come back to (or sell for $) if you have to settle down.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X