Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treating Islam as if it were a valid religion? Damned teachers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating Islam as if it were a valid religion? Damned teachers!

Xenophobia rears it's ugly head in our schools systems -

Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam

Curious: Isn't that also the god of Islam?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Treating Islam as if it were a valid religion? Damned teachers!

I'm confused. Why is this in public school? I mean, we learned that these religions existed, but we didn't spend any significant time on the details...people would have crapped if we were writing papers about Jesus being the Lord and Savior, even in a Catholic town like a I grew up in. I'd be seriously concerned, though I suppose for different reasons.

I mean, I don't believe in Islam any more than I believe in Scientology and imagine the uproar if that was taught in school?

Unless I missed something and this is a private school. Then carry on....

Comment

Social Studies. You can't understand societies unless you understand their religious beliefs. Why wouldn't something which is so important to people be part of social studies?

To me, it looks like a valid assignment - explain something, with a purpose.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Different. I got an overview of Islam as part of Social Studies in 7th grade (also got Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and maybe Judaism). We weren't doing promotional pamphlets but I'll chalk that up mostly to variance in teaching style provided that similar assignments are or will be given with the other religions being taught.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Social Studies. You can't understand societies unless you understand their religious beliefs. Why wouldn't something which is so important to people be part of social studies?

To me, it looks like a valid assignment - explain something, with a purpose.
          This.

It seems to me to be in the same vein as creating a poster for, and a poster against something. I did this for whaling in high school. I don't want to condone whaling, but what better way to get an understanding of both sides of the argument and make my own, now educated, decisions???
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't think this was a promotional pamphlet. That's just one mother's over reaction. The teacher said the assignment included all five of the major world religions. Note, the mother didn't have a problem with the Judaism, Hinduism, or Buddhist portions of the pamphlet.

Furthermore, religion is an integral part of the majority of cultures around the world, if not all of them. To be certain, Christianity still holds a significant sway here in the United States. People's art, history, and culture are often directly tied into their religion. So yes, I would say studying world religions is a valid topic in school. And creating informative pamphlets is probably a very good starting place for ending intolerance.

On the topic of Allah. Many Christians like to argue that Allah is not the same god as Yahweh, though you could also have the argument that Yahweh isn't the same god as the one in the new testament. They don't like that Islam is a branch off their own faith. There are good arguments on all sides of that particular discussion, but essentially, it depends on your point of view.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              This.

It seems to me to be in the same vein as creating a poster for, and a poster against something. I did this for whaling in high school. I don't want to condone whaling, but what better way to get an understanding of both sides of the argument and make my own, now educated, decisions???
              That's exactly it - in persuasive writing, a typical assignment is to write persuasively about something you disagree with, as if you were supporting it. This is a classic way to teach the importance of rhetoric - that HOW you say something is as important as WHAT you say, AND of understanding BOTH sides of an issue (a thing which I don't imagine very many people are actually capable of, but which is of vital importance).

It looks to me as if it is that second thing - understanding others - that she has a problem with.

Incidentally, I did once get reamed myself by a loony for having students write a paper in favor of gun control. Pretty funny, for those of you who know me...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Different. I got an overview of Islam as part of Social Studies in 7th grade (also got Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and maybe Judaism). We weren't doing promotional pamphlets but I'll chalk that up mostly to variance in teaching style provided that similar assignments are or will be given with the other religions being taught.
              What we are being told "in the profession" is to "make it real." In other words, assignments should have a purpose and not just "be." That's what it looks like the teacher was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

It looks to me as if it is that second thing - understanding others - that she has a problem with.
                Well at least the kid was excited by it. Lets hope the shitty mothering doesn't rub off...
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Sounds to me like the mom is a overreactional religious nut.

A 10th grader creating an informational brochure on a world religion in simplified language is a perfectly legitimate assignment (though I would expect something like that in middle school, not high school)...with something more like a paper or oral report in high school. The only person I've seen equating this to a "pursuasive" sort of assignment is the mom.

It is perfectly acceptable (legally and otherwise) (and IMO should be a requirement) to TEACH world religions in public school...its not legitimate to PREACH a particular religion or its theology in a public school. Religious literacy is part of cultural literacy.

Word religions were part of my civics, world history, and geography classes in high school (and to a lesser degree, middle school) in public school, some 20+ years ago...and religious literature from a variety of sources was in a handful of my lit classes as well.

This used to be considered part of creating well-rounded and critically thinking future adults.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

In the article, if you follow the link attached to the text, “This assignment upset me because they are presenting Allah as the same God of the Christians and Jews", you can see the Facebook conversation ensuing - basically a few Christians saying "hooray for fighting for Christ!". One even says that "we must protect our children with TRUTH and not teach lies". Holy smokes.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    Note, the mother didn't have a problem with the Judaism, Hinduism, or Buddhist portions of the pamphlet.
                    ^ This is what bugs me. Why pick on Islam? Makes me wonder if this isn't just ignorance fueling this - someone who has no idea about the history of Islam (or Christianity) and has a stink up her nose because of the propaganda around "terrorist Muslims".

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post

^ This is what bugs me. Why pick on Islam? Makes me wonder if this isn't just ignorance fueling this - someone who has no idea about the history of Islam (or Christianity) and has a stink up her nose because of the propaganda around "terrorist Muslims".
                      ^^^ My thoughts.

We studied other religions in middle school and high school. Along with egyptian, greek, roman, and other ancient reigions.

I was in high school during 9/11 we had muslims in my school one girl felt compelled to write a letter to our high school paper explaining her religion and why she dresses how she does(the correct term escapes me). She tolds us that they were extremists and are not following Allah correctly. How would a christian feel if a person commited great crimes in the name of god would you consider them doing gods will.

This mother needs to get over herself. Heck I remember parents trying to ban Harry Potter from schools. At one time Mark Twains books were banned and thats required reading now.

For a religion thats all about converting people. Narrow minded christians annoy me. Jesus taught love not hate. His friends were people society shunned. She must forget Jesus wasnt really white.

I hope her child is spared by her ignorance.

Comment

I have always been baffled by monotheists talking about "other gods." If you really believe there is only one, then the best anybody else can do is call that god by a different name than you do, perhaps worship in a different way. I figure monotheists who get bent out of shape about "other gods" aren't really monotheists.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                          I have always been baffled by monotheists talking about "other gods." If you really believe there is only one, then the best anybody else can do is call that god by a different name than you do, perhaps worship in a different way. I figure monotheists who get bent out of shape about "other gods" aren't really monotheists.
                          Monotheists have a variety of beliefs regarding other deities...monotheist has varying levels of meaning, but most faiths referred to that way have a god insisting upon being the only true god, or the only one worthy of worship, not necessarily the only one to exist. And some believe other 'gods' are demons but into place by their primary god as a test. And of course, sometimes its just the imprecision of language because you can't just pretend other people don't believe in different gods, even if you only believe in one, so you can refer to a "god" or "gods" but not believe they ARE a god.

I was a Catholic for a long time, and I met some of each.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                            Monotheists have a variety of beliefs regarding other deities...monotheist has varying levels of meaning, but most faiths referred to that way have a god insisting upon being the only true god, or the only one worthy of worship, not necessarily the only one to exist. And some believe other 'gods' are demons but into place by their primary god as a test. And of course, sometimes its just the imprecision of language because you can't just pretend other people don't believe in different gods, even if you only believe in one, so you can refer to a "god" or "gods" but not believe they ARE a god.
                            I was a Catholic for a long time, and I met some of each.
                            Makes sense. Monotheism as in believing there are many gods but choosing to worship only one. Seems like we need more than one word for it, then.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                              Makes sense. Monotheism as in believing there are many gods but choosing to worship only one. Seems like we need more than one word for it, then.
                              We've got one: Henotheism.
                              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
                              X