This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rune of the Month

Uruz is one of my favourite runes, and one that I can connect with very strongly. To me it is about personal power and strength, not just in the physical sense but in a non physical sense also. It's about the potential we all have to square our shoulders and get things done. It's that deep well of personal power that resides within all of us... that raw, untamed potential to be fierce and strong and determined. It's our ability to stand our ground, lower our horns and face our challenges. Uruz himself is the great aurochs, a big black bull who's sheer presence is as strong as his rippling muscles, who's great horns can be wielded with finesse and surety, who cannot be intimidated or bullied into working for us but who must be partnered with and appreciated for the magnificent creature that he is.

I think Uruz is a very confronting rune for many people, and can easily scare newcomers off. Uruz is large, powerful, strong, intimidating and sublimely capable of trampling you into the dirt. It takes confidence to work closely with Uruz, as well as a healthy respect for the fact that it is much stronger than you. You can't manhandle Uruz. You have to earn it's trust and respect. But once you do, it's a very powerful and loyal ally.

I use Uruz in workings where I want to tap into personal strength and potential, or to bolster confidence in one's own abilities. Many people consider it a healing rune, but I think that it's usefulness in healing is about helping your body to tap into it's own resources and healing abilities. It's not a gentle healer or nurturer like, say, Berkana... but it can give you direct access to the natural defenses and healing mechanisms that you already possess... provided you have the constitution to heal yourself rather than wait for someone to come along and do it for you.

Comment

Pertho

Elder Futhark:Proto Germanic, meaning unknown
      Younger Futhark: na
      Anglo Saxon Futhorc:Old English, meaning unknown (but there are some assumptions, which it would be great for us to discuss below)

Phonetic value: 'p'

Pronunciation: this awesome website with recordings of Old English vowels and diphthongs. It's amazing and I think anyone who actually finds the pronunciation interesting like nerdy me should listen to it.

Now you all reply and add your insights...

Comment

Index updated. Though it occurs to me that I can pawn off index updates on the OP due to her status as a local tyrant....
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          Index updated. Though it occurs to me that I can pawn off index updates on the OP due to her status as a local tyrant....
          You'll have to teach me how to do it first

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            You'll have to teach me how to do it first
            That can be arranged :cthulhu:
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have been sooooo bad at this lately. Naughty me. lol.

Seeing as Tylluan is the only one who's chipped into Pertho so far, I'm bumping this before I add the next rune

As for Pertho... I don't actually have a lot of experience with this rune, as I've never used it for any sort of workings or bindrunes. I also have it rarely come up in divination, but when it does, I interpret it as meaning that the outcome is chancy, could go a number of ways, or otherwise is not able to be influenced by your machinations and you'll just have to try it and see what happens. Depending on what sort of reading I'm doing and where it ends up on the mat (I cast, I don't draw) it can also mean sheer luck, chance, taking a risk or someone who flies by the seat of their pants.

I think that in some ways, the unknown nature of the meaning of Pertho is fitting, given the two commonly accepted interpretations of the rune. I've seen it most often interpreted as either chance/risk/luck, or the unknown/mystery/wyrd (sometimes both at once!). I definitely lean more towards the chance/risk/luck side of it, with the understanding that there is an undercurrent of wyrd and hamingja to those things. Our 'luck' is influenced by the hamingja that we have accrued via the deeds that we have done and how our community views us. Our wyrd is influenced not just by the will of the Nornir, but by our past actions and how we have shaped our available pathways due to our choices. In a sense, very little in our life is truly about sheer random chance (Thalassa has a specific word for this, but I can never remember what it is). So then why have a rune that represents sheer random chance? I think it's less about actual literal luck/chance, and more about the way that we view the events of our life, the way that we view the possible outcomes, and the predictability of those outcomes. Sometimes we need to take a chance rather than plot out every little detail of our lives. That doesn't necessarily mean that the possible outcomes are unknown or unknowable, just that maybe we need to relax a bit of our control and trust our wyrd to play out. This is where the unknown/mystery/wyrd part comes in... I don't feel that there is a mystical depth to that 'unknown'... it's not a woo woo future hidden in the shadows of the crystal ball... it's just that the predictability is less and maybe it would do us good to take a chance for once. Or maybe the outcome will be negative but we should be doing it anyway as we'll learn a valuable lesson from it.

Comment

Pertho has come across to me as having a few meanings. Like has been said, the idea of it being a dice cup on it's side has come up a few times, and I've used it as such for bindrunes involving luck or chance.

To go along with that, is the concept of the unknown, of randomness, and of fate. I've had it come up a few times when I've done some divinations, though rarely. In each of those times, the combinations of other runes were so jumbled and hard to get a handle on, Pertho always sat by itself off to the side as if to say "FISH OFF". In that respect, I think to equate it with Frigga, and her ability to foretell the future but with a reluctance to do so because knowledge of one's fate can be disastrous, and so is intentionally clouding the issue so that it cannot be known.

Another sort of connection to Frigg, is that the rune itself can be seen as an "open" Berkana, which has been used as a rune of growth and gestation. Connected to the idea of the future, Pertho is "giving birth" to what is to come, either literally (as Frigg has been invoked to aid with pregnancy) or figuratively.

I've found it to be a rather feminine and earthy rune, grounded in life and revelation, and have always seen it as silvery in color.

Comment

Jēra

Elder Futhark: *Jēra (sometimes *Jēran), Proto Germanic, meaning 'harvest'
                    Younger Futhark: Old Norse meaning 'year'
                    Anglo Saxon Futhorc:Old English, meaning 'year'

Phonetic value:NB:Pronunciation: Now you all reply and add your insights...

Comment

Bump.

Before I post up a new rune, I want to bump this one to see if anyone has any thoughts on Jera?

Comment

Again this is another rune that, in AS anyway, has layer upon layer of meaning. It's not just about harvests and years, but about the redistribution of wealth.

Comment

I always saw Jera foremost as 'reaping what you sow'. That's almost always the first impression I get when I see it in a casting... you reap what you sow, you get out what you put in... that sort of thing. But it's also about cycles (of time, events etc) and about biding your time. What goes around comes around, time heals all wounds... all those cliche little sayings are favourites of Jera.

I don't tend to use Jera in magick often, because it can be tricky to combine it right so that you don't end up biting yourself on the butt. Because it's very much about reaping what you sow, you can end up undermining yourself inadvertantly. I have successfully harnessed that for the express purpose of helping me to see the consequences of my words, though.

Comment

My own experience working with the AS rune poem, is that it needs to be read as a whole... verses foreshadow some and hark back towards others. It's a path rather than a series of disconnected and disjointed 'meanings' IMHO.

Comment

Can we get this one up and running again?
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Sure, I just got lazy when participation waned off. You wanna have a go at the last couple before I pull a new one?

Comment

Working...
                                X