Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Kemetic Orthodoxy - a good way to follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kemetic Orthodoxy - a good way to follow?

So, I've found the website of the Kemetic Orthodoxy, but I have my reservations. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kemetic religion, but this Orthodoxy just gives me bad vibes. I know that their Nisut is supposed to have a "Kingly Ka," but the thought of worshipping a human that claims to be somehow godly, and that deserves worship, just doesn't sit well with me. I'd much rather worship and praise the true gods of Kemet - Heru, Yinepu, Sekhmet, etc. However, I DO know that, supposedly, something very much the same was how the Pharaoh concept worked in Kemet.

What are you guys' thoughts on this branch of Kemetic religion?

Re: The Kemetic Orthodoxy - a good way to follow?

It's an option but it's not the only option. Other Kemetic sects and practitioners exist.

Past that, because I haven't looked at these people in ages, is Nisut actually considered a deity in mortal flesh or something more akin to the Catholic pope (who is granted certain odd perks by doctrine but is NOT worshipped). If we're talking the former, shrug, I require something really impressive before I treat a mortal being as anything other than a mortal being, and in the absence of televised miracles, I would probably need to personally meet the individual.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I thought we had someone that belonged to a KO group at one time...Was it Caelia or Gardenia?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Caelia was Kemetic but tended to have issues with groups and was not part of the Orthodoxy (or if she was in the past, she left by the time I was regularly talking to her, I think). I can't speak on Gardenia's experience (or lack there-of, don't know) with the Orthodoxy.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Trans_Pagan View Post
          So, I've found the website of the Kemetic Orthodoxy, but I have my reservations. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kemetic religion, but this Orthodoxy just gives me bad vibes. I know that their Nisut is supposed to have a "Kingly Ka," but the thought of worshipping a human that claims to be somehow godly, and that deserves worship, just doesn't sit well with me. I'd much rather worship and praise the true gods of Kemet - Heru, Yinepu, Sekhmet, etc. However, I DO know that, supposedly, something very much the same was how the Pharaoh concept worked in Kemet.

What are you guys' thoughts on this branch of Kemetic religion?
          I am a member in KO. And just between us, in PF borders, I consider her just to be something like "mentor of mentors". In ancient Egypt the pharaoh was said to have a soul of a god. Mostly it was Heru or Ra as far as I know. Maybe this Kingly Ka has something to do with it.

I have become their Remetj not too long ago. But KO is just a place for me to learn about Kemetism. However, I still consider the Nisut to be the mentor of mentors, or the head of KO. Not to be confused with Kingly Ka.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit out of topic, if I had to choose between our PF and KO, I would of course choose PF. Even if it means to give up on different studies on Kemetism. But it's my own decision, nobody else's.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            I have become their Remetj not too long ago. But KO is just a place for me to learn about Kemetism. However, I still consider the Nisut to be the mentor of mentors, or the head of KO. Not to be confused with Kingly Ka.
            Yeah, I'd most likely more be into it for the supposed personal attention they pay to their members, and answering any questions they have.

Comment

I was a 'full-fledged' convert (shemsu) from '05 to late '07, but chose to step back to 'friend of the faith' status (remetj), and I really haven't had any contact with them at all in the last few years.

I left Kemetic Orthodoxy for several reasons, and I have to admit the Nisut was one of them, but different members do have different thoughts on the Nisut and her role... but I just couldn't get behind what they were teaching about her. There were some other issues as well, the tradition just wasn't for me. (I actually left reconstruction all together shortly after leaving KO.) They do have several levels of membership though, so it's one way to have some fellowship and structure, but you don't ever have to become a shemsu and really follow their tradition specifics.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                They do have several levels of membership though, so it's one way to have some fellowship and structure, but you don't ever have to become a shemsu and really follow their tradition specifics.
                I'll take note of that! Thanks!

Comment

I was a 'full-fledged' convert (shemsu) from '05 to late '07, but chose to step back to 'friend of the faith' status (remetj), and I really haven't had any contact with them at all in the last few years.

I left Kemetic Orthodoxy for several reasons, and I have to admit the Nisut was one of them, but different members do have different thoughts on the Nisut and her role... but I just couldn't get behind what they were teaching about her. There were some other issues as well, the tradition just wasn't for me. (I actually left reconstruction all together shortly after leaving KO.) They do have several levels of membership though, so it's one way to have some fellowship and structure, but you don't ever have to become a shemsu and really follow their tradition specifics.
                  Thanks for sharing! To be honest, I really doubt I should become a Shemsu, or pass the RPD divination at all...
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    Thanks for sharing! To be honest, I really doubt I should become a Shemsu, or pass the RPD divination at all...
                    The RPD was also one of the reasons why I left. It's sort of hard to explain, but I didn't object at all to the Gods who were named in my RPD, that was not the issue, and at first I understood the idea behind the RPD, but as time went on I found myself disagreeing more and more with what the RPD meant in terms of the relationship of the gods named to the soul(s) of a person, and that whole aspect of it, especially from a reconstructionist point of view.
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

The RPD was also one of the reasons why I left. It's sort of hard to explain, but I didn't object at all to the Gods who were named in my RPD, that was not the issue, and at first I understood the idea behind the RPD, but as time went on I found myself disagreeing more and more with what the RPD meant in terms of the relationship of the gods named to the soul(s) of a person, and that whole aspect of it, especially from a reconstructionist point of view.
                      That makes sense. As far as I can understand, in a reconstructionist faith, it's more of a personal experience, than directing a person to specific god(s) or goddess(es). If one gets along with a deity - very well then. But being told by someone "this god/goddess is connected with your soul, then worship him/her" is hard for me to accept.

Comment

It's been a while, but I think one of the explanations was it was meant to sort of be a stand in for not being born into a Kemetic home where you'd have household/family and local gods, and from that point of view I can sort of see where they're coming from? But getting into the whole soul thing, and should one want to go further in the faith and become a priest sort of having that whole thing locked down, none of it really felt right to me. While my RPD results were not an issue for me, I also knew a few people who really struggled with their results, and I think had some pretty bad spiritual experiences because of it all, but they felt like they were stuck in these... I mean some of them sounded like they were describing abusive relationships, and it was all quite odd, but they were stuck because this was the god who made their soul, so what choice did they have? I mean the majority of folks who had the RPD and went on to become shemsu certainly didn't have experiences like that, but those few people really stick out in my memory.
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
                        X