Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is witchcraft? Who can practise it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is witchcraft? Who can practise it?

I'm noting in another thread people see the word witchcraft and attach it to or divorce it from certain religions. From what I know of witchcraft so far, it is a practise that can be performed within any religion that has theology around the manipulation of spiritual energy. Is this right?

What makes witchcraft witchcraft and not voodoo for example? Or is voodoo a type of witchcraft? Are there rules around what is/isn't witchcraft? If so, who made those rules?

Re: What is witchcraft? Who can practise it?

I smiled when I read it, because these questions have a wide range of answers. In my opinion, any person can practice witchraft, as long as they have a strong interest towards it.
    Yes, witchraft, heka or just magic as it is described in different pantheons, which have theologies around manipulation of spiritual energy, can take different forms.

I am really not sure about the last question. I'll read further comments in order to know more about the subject. But I must thank you for making the thread!!!
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Yes, witchraft, heka or just magic as it is described in different pantheons....
      Boom. Represent.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I wouldn't say spiritual energies are used for magical usage in witchcraft does not require the presence of a deity or spiritual presence in order to work. In most definitions witchcraft is using ones own determination and skills to manipulate what might be called natural energies and influence things through that manipulation. While witchcraft can function within the dynamics of most religious / spiritual systems it can also function where no such dynamic is to be found.

As to defining it against the likes of root workings, HooDoo, Voudon, folk magics, etc there is no clear line I think as many of the same skill sets are utilized but are not culturally or socially seen as witchcraft.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          What makes witchcraft witchcraft and not voodoo for example? Or is voodoo a type of witchcraft? Are there rules around what
          is/isn't witchcraft? If so, who made those rules?
          Voodoo isn't witchcraft for the same reason Christianity isn't, it's a religion with specific practises some of which we as Westerners see as magical. But it's a religion the same way Shinto, Christianity or Buddhism is. It's just that Western media have this unfortunate tendency to focus on the magical aspects and completely ignore the religion behind them.
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            Boom. Represent.
            Um.. What?
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              Um.. What?
              You said heka... I was feeling represented
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                You said heka... I was feeling represented
                Aaah. Good for you!

Comment

To me, I associate witchcraft with thaumaturgy. Maybe it is the word "craft" on the end that implies work in the material world. I am a pragmatist, so I'd say the rules are "whatever works."

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

To add to the confusion of this some people use Witchcraft with a capital W as a synonym for Wicca.

If we stick to witchcraft with a lower case w it's a way of doing magic that relies on whatever is at hand and go by whatever works as nbdy said.
                    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I'm noting in another thread people see the word witchcraft and attach it to or divorce it from certain religions. From what I know of witchcraft so far, it is a practise that can be performed within any religion that has theology around the manipulation of spiritual energy. Is this right?
                      I have nothing of significance to add that hasn't already been touched upon here by the others. But as I see it, "witchcraft" is a collection of practices used for manipulating both the Inner and the Outer, the Seen and the Unseen worlds surrounding us.

What makes witchcraft witchcraft and not voodoo for example? Or is voodoo a type of witchcraft? Are there rules around what is/isn't witchcraft? If so, who made those rules?
                      As MoonRaven stated, Voodoo (Vodou, Vodun, there are different veins) may be regarded as a religion - but something like Hoodoo would be better interpreted as a collection of folk magical practices associated with African American culture.

So, for my beliefs, witchcraft is a collection of practices which can be incorporated into certain religions, but is not a religion in and of itself and is not necessarily particular to any culture.

Comment

Really good answers thanks all!

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        I wouldn't say spiritual energies are used for magical usage in witchcraft does not require the presence of a deity or spiritual presence in order to work. In most definitions witchcraft is using ones own determination and skills to manipulate what might be called [b]natural energies[b] and influence things through that manipulation. While witchcraft can function within the dynamics of most religious / spiritual systems it can also function where no such dynamic is to be found.
                        That answer really intrigued me and then it was backed up by Nbdy saying the word 'craft' leant itself to work in the material world.
                        Can either of you expand on this a little more?
                        Last edited by thalassa; 12 Oct 2014, 02:56.

Comment

Really good answers thanks all!

That answer really intrigued me and then it was backed up by Nbdy saying the word 'craft' leant itself to work in the material world.
                          Can either of you expand on this a little more?
                          I think the basic notion is witchcraft is the force of ones own will and determination to cause change to occur. That strength of will and presence being used to influence things about you and to make conditions right to get what you desire. In some ways its like the story of the Little Engine that Could. It believed it could, the belief so strong that it changed conditions to make it possible for it to do what it needed or gain what it desired. Where it differs from spirituality / religion in my opinion is that results are based upon how bad you want something and how much energy, focus and effort you place in getting it.

I suppose in many ways its the old law of mind over matter.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 12 Oct 2014, 02:57.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Witchcraft can be called 'magic' by some. But then you get this sort of crack hattery: You made this fever go away with this tea. You are a witch, so sayeth the Catholic church. Witchcraft is really a tool to opress someone who knows something more then you and you are scared shiteless so you call them a witch and be done with them. Something like that.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              I think the basic notion is witchcraft is the force of ones own will and determination to cause change to occur. That strength of will and presence being used to influence things about you and to make conditions right to get what you desire. In some ways its like the story of the Little Engine that Could. It believed it could, the belief so strong that it changed conditions to make it possible for it to do what it needed or gain what it desired. Where it differs from spirituality / religion in my opinion is that results are based upon how bad you want something and how much energy, focus and effort you place in getting it.

I suppose in many ways its the old law of mind over matter.
                              So what is the difference between this and positive thinking?

Comment

Working...
                              X