Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which translation of the Poetic Edda is a good one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which translation of the Poetic Edda is a good one?

I have the Prose Edda, and want to get the Poetic Edda. I saw there a couple of translations, some with better translations than others. I read that the Lee M. Hollander version is "challenging". There is the Olive Bray and Wolf Wickham version, and several others. I'm new at this, so I guess I need one that's middle ground... not too challenging, but not dumbed-down.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Which translation of the Poetic Edda is a good one?

I don't own an English translation - only a Norwegian one with the original verses in it and one in Danish - so I can't give specific recommendations, but as a general recommendation I would say get more than one if you can afford it.
    The problem with translations are that they're well... translations. When you translate into a different language such as translating something in old Icelandic into modern English you face the problem that some of the words you want to translate simply don't exist so you have to find an approximation, but even the best approximation won't cover all the meanings of the original word. That's why you'll find different translation of the same text, because different translators find different aspects of the same word important.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

That's a good idea about a couple of different versions. The books are not expensive at all, so that is an option. Thanks.

Comment

Here are a few, free to download:

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

ooh, thanks!

Comment

Personally I like my Henry Bellows translation (which is possibly the one Rick has linked to, as it's usually the one that's available free online). Olive Bray's translation has an impeccable reputation, and is next on my list. I've heard mixed things about the Hollander and Larrington versions.

But the reality is, that they are all translations, and unless you can find one in Old Norse (some of the Olive Bray ones have original Old Norse, which is the version on my wishlist), they are all going to be imperfect. Having more than one translation is the preferred option, but even then remember that not of them are 100% true to the original Old Norse. And even then, 'the original Old Norse' was put together from bits and pieces from several different manuscripts, some of which directly contradict each other, and all of which were recorded by people who lived long after the original stories stopped being common knowledge. I think we tend to get all excited about finding 'the right' translation... which is a little silly, when you think about it. None of them are The One True Translation. So have a look at different versions and pick the one that sings to you. Then when you can afford it, get a few more and compare.

Comment

I think Bellows makes for nicer reading, but Bray can be easier to 'dicipher'.

I think it's a bit like comparing KJV and NIV though...
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                Personally I like my Henry Bellows translation (which is possibly the one Rick has linked to, as it's usually the one that's available free online). Olive Bray's translation has an impeccable reputation, and is next on my list. I've heard mixed things about the Hollander and Larrington versions. ...

None of them are The One True Translation. So have a look at different versions and pick the one that sings to you. Then when you can afford it, get a few more and compare.
                I'm definitely going to pass on the Larrington version because it is way more challenging from the reviews. I'm nowhere near ready for that.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                I think Bellows makes for nicer reading, but Bray can be easier to 'dicipher'.

I think it's a bit like comparing KJV and NIV though...
                If you have the Daily Asatru phone app the Bellows and Bray translations are the ones it uses. It lets you toggle between them. Sometimes they do differ, and you have to read both to get a better or fuller understanding of the verse.

I have the Bray version in my B&N wishlist, I'll look for the Bellows also. They may be a good start.

Comment

Yeah I gots it
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Both versions, Bray and Bellows on their way to my door.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Thorbjorn View Post
                      Both versions, Bray and Bellows on their way to my door.
                      Quick work there man.

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
                        Quick work there man.
                        I strike fast, but not always with the best results (this one should be one of the better strikes). I am Thor's man, after all. lol

Comment

I have the Hollander translation and I too noticed it is a bit challenging, so I am learning Norwegian so I can try and get one that hasn't been translated into english.

Thank you for this post, it helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X