Dragon Magick Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Magick Books?

So I've read DJ Conway, and I almost burned her books. They are so horribly written and filled with pompous, High Priestess attitude and anti-Christian phrases that it's a wonder anyone can like it. Not to mention her clear man-hate, but don't get me started on that.

Anyway, I know there isn't much about Dragon Magick written, and I've been practising it for years so I usually go by my own instincts but I'm looking for more opinions on the subject. I've heard of a book by Parker J. Torrence (I think that's the name) called Sea, Land, Sky: A Dragon Magick Grimoire, if anyone who's read it can tell me whether it's worth the money. So, yeah. I need suggestions please! Also, Dragon History books about the legends in different cultures would be great if you could recommend some of those, too! Blessings!

Re: Dragon Magick Books?

This isn't really my cup of tea, but I do enjoy folklore, fairy tales, and art. I've kept these 2 sites bookmarked just... because. Maybe they'll help, maybe not. I can't attest to their scholarly repute either.

Everything about dragons on the web; dragon pictures, dragon information, articles, and more, and tips for playing Dungeons & Dragons better.

There is a good deal of difference between Dragon Species and Dragon Types. Dragon Types are not specific; they merely describe the physical appearance of the dragon. Dragon Species are more specific, namely to certain areas. For instance, Eastern Dragon is a dragon type; whereas, Ying Lung is a Dragon Species.

Comment

Thank you! I also have the draconika website in my bookmarks but the other one is new to me! I like to read as much about dragons from different people to widen my.. knowledge? xD Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to be of help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
          This isn't really my cup of tea, but I do enjoy folklore, fairy tales, and art. I've kept these 2 sites bookmarked just... because. Maybe they'll help, maybe not. I can't attest to their scholarly repute either.

Everything about dragons on the web; dragon pictures, dragon information, articles, and more, and tips for playing Dungeons & Dragons better.

http://www.blackdrago.com/species.htm#basilisk
          good sites

but I think these might be better

also I wouldn't dismiss Conway so much in her books. but you have be able to discern which is crap and which is good.
          Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Thanks for the sites, lightdragon! I've come across the second site, but not the first, so thank you.
            Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the stuff she writes, but a vast majority of it is useless to me. I dislike her Mystical Dragon Magick book the most - I came across something on the internet which seemed to describe it well; she seemed to be writing about Hogwarts, with the 'essential' different coloured robes and such. Too much fluff, in my opinion. As I said before, I usually just go by instinct but learning is a part of the path and there's not many reliable sources for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Spirit View Post
              Thanks for the sites, lightdragon! I've come across the second site, but not the first, so thank you.
              Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the stuff she writes, but a vast majority of it is useless to me. I dislike her Mystical Dragon Magick book the most - I came across something on the internet which seemed to describe it well; she seemed to be writing about Hogwarts, with the 'essential' different coloured robes and such. Too much fluff, in my opinion. As I said before, I usually just go by instinct but learning is a part of the path and there's not many reliable sources for that!
              Yay, another person interested in working with dragons!

I've never liked Conway much myself, either. For sure, she is an OK introduction into general (neo) paganism--or at least she was back when I first got interested in things like Wicca--, but for specifics I find her work sorely lacking. At least the Dancing With Dragons book has some snazzy pictures in it.

If you frequent Tumblr, you could do some searches around there. You may find some interesting blogs that will at least give you some food for thought.
              Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Hi.

I don't know about any good books, but I do know there is a girl on Youtube who has a series on Draconic Wicca. Het username is Dragonfeather369. She has recourses on all kinds of other witchy stuff too. Go take a look. I personally find her channel very informative.

Comment

Dragon Spirit,

I did not have the same trouble with Conway's books that you had, but I've read them as well as Torrence's Sea, Land, Sky. Torrence's book is awful, imo. If you can get past the fact that it's very unprofessional (grammatical mistakes, punctuation errors aplenty), the book is extremely light on relevant content. I have to presume that he got his information and idea for the Sea/Land/Sky format from received information, because he lists no source for his dragon-specific material. (Conway at least states outright that her information is what she has personally received.) The book is 159 pages long; of those, well over 50 are blank ("for your notes"). He includes a number of deity descriptions, spells and oil/incense recipes that have nothing to do with dragons at all (and his idea of a dragon-attuned oil seems to be just throwing some Dragon's Blood into a traditional mix). I also personally had a problem with his dismissal of those whose paths he doesn't agree with, especially when he degrades to name-calling. And one of the sources he does list is Silver RavenWolf's Teen Witch, which throws up a red flag for me.

That said, you never know where you might find inspiration for your own meditation, spells, oil mixes, etc. I would highly recommend borrowing the book rather than buying it, if the cost is any consideration. Again imo, it isn't worth the cover price.

Comment

I think in a subject like this it's essential to differentiate between what is personal revelation, and what is traditional. I avoid using 'fact' because even traditional beliefs can be hard put to digging up 'facts' to support themselves.
                    In Wales, where I come from and live, we have a dragon on our flag. And the whole of the UK seems to have legends about these creatures. Were they, as some have suggested, connected with ley lines and earth power? Was that the treasure they guarded deep in their caves? Do you believe they are the same as the Norse 'wyrm' (we have a place called Worm's Head' in Wales, that snakes out into the sea like the carved prow of a longship.)
                    I would say one of the best places to start is in working out what, for you, is a Dragon. What does it mean? Where does it reside?
                    Only then - IMHO - can one start exploring what 'Dragon Magick' might entail.

And yes, I do believe in dragons.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                    X