X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favourite Quotes

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=139.msg5255#msg5255 date=1287593800]
    Hmmmm.... maybe Keillor stole it? He used it in a performance I was at...
    [/quote]

No freaking way. I'm not sure of course, but I am willing to bet that NB stole it from Keillor, who has been around WAY longer and enjoys a better demographic (no offense, V).
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

"People aren't sensible creatures all the time. And stories are accountable to no one. Have you never loved a tall tale, simply because it made your heart race?"

~Leliana, Dragon Age:Origins

Comment

sigpic

Comment

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony. --Wm Henry Channing

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Nobody is an ass when he's alone. It's something which really requires an assistant. - Andrew Citrivick
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

One of my really favorite, so true:
              It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
              When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Comment

Historians are prophets in reverse - Friedrich von Schlegel

Also Weinberg's Corollary - An expert is a person that avoids the small errors while sweeping on to the grand fallacy.

I have a couple more that I'll post later
                "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                without his weapons of war;
                for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                of a spear on the way without.
                -

Comment

Born again?! No, I'm not. Excuse me for getting it right the first time.
                  Dennis Miller

I don't believe in God but I'm very interested in her.
                  Arthur C. Clarke

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
                  Napoleon Bonaparte

Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.
                  Ronald Reagan

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

"did you die? "unfortunately i did, but i survived"
                    ice age 3 ;D
                    "He Who Knows Others Is Wise. He Who Knows Himself Is Enlightened"
                    ~Tao Te Cheng

Comment

''When we speak English, we make no favor to it...'' - Laibach, 1997
                      ''A death of a man is tragedy. A death of one million people is a statistic.'' - Stalin
                      ...And really this what Stalin said is true. Everyone to whom someone died knows that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Kevin Butler at E3
                        "I. Love. Games. Gaming is having a ridiculously huge TV in a tiny one-room apartment. It's staying up until 3am to win a trophy that isn't real...but is."
                        "And though we may pledge fanboy allegiances to different flags, deep down inside, we all serve one master, one king, and his name is gaming! Forever may he reign!"

Comment

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
                          Thomas Jefferson

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.
                          Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
                          Thomas Jefferson

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                          Mohandas Gandhi
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

One that I should pay attention to more often:

"It is better to be silent, and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                            Abe Lincoln
                            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

One that's been on my mind lately:

"I do not like to write. I like to have written."
                              -Gloria Steinhem

Comment

Just read this one... One of our literature artists. Slavko Grum:
                                ''I have learned, in my tough life, that artist is a cousin to a mentally ill person.
                                If his life is getting to much pressure, he will go psycho!
                                That's why we are writing, writing, writing the great words in a white marble of our work...''
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X