"bleeding" from the feet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"bleeding" from the feet.

This is a bit hard to put into words and sounds really strange. I would pm someone about this because I'm embarrassed, but I don't know who to pm.

In the last week or so when I have been attempting meditation in savasana, I have this feeling of bleeding from the arches of my feet. Of course there is no physical blood and there is no pain, it's just an annoying psychological sensation. It's only when I haven't done a yoga session beforehand.

Have I finally cracked it?

Re: "bleeding" from the feet.

I know nothing about yoga or related practices, but I know there are energy centers in your feet (some would call them minor chakras) and the soles of the feet are where many people have their grounding channel (as in grounding into the earth). I wonder if this bleeding sensation is a sensation of energy 'bleeding' out from these energy centers?

Comment

Could be.. I wasn't planning on going to a yoga class for a bit, but I will go along this week and ask the instructor. Thanks Rae'ya. I didn't know of any other Chakras other than the major seven. I will ask.

Comment

I've just PMed you. I'm not an expert, but if you want, you can pass on my pm. Best of luck!!!
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thank you Gleb, have read and replied to your message
          I went to the yoga instructor tonight and asked her about the sensation and asked her what she thought about the possibility of leaking energy. She asked me if I was feeling any different and tbh I'm not feeling any different in my body or my spirit, there's just that annoying sensation. She said it could be due to a few different things, listing mundane things as well. One thing she did suggest which felt right was that something might be up with my liver. I didn't ask her why, I should have. I got excited because the other day I felt like my body needed a fast. I'm easily distracted. She suggested trying acupuncture and sitting with my feet elevated. I'm not really any closer to understanding what is going on. I might call the owner of the yoga sanctuary and see what she has to say.

Comment

I still don't really have many answers for this. I think I do need to find out what is going on. I am now having a sensation like my toes are burnt.

If anyone knows of reputable resource, please let me know

Comment

I am going to offer an annoyingly mundane solution namely some sort neurological disorder/deficiency. A lot of people have feeling of being burnt, touched, leaking, buzzing in their extremities (feet and hands), many of those are due to bad circulation, vitamin and/or mineral deficiency, or a nerve getting squeezed somewhere between the extremity and the brain causing a sensation of pressure, buzzing, or similar.
              Maybe the reason you first experienced (or noticed it) while meditating was that you became aware of your body in ways that you normally aren't.

Sorry for the immensely mundane and boring solution, but personally I think it would be worth being checked out for this stuff before looking for more esoteric explanations.
              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

In the last week or so when I have been attempting meditation in savasana, I have this feeling of bleeding from the arches of my feet. Of course there is no physical blood and there is no pain, it's just an annoying psychological sensation. It's only when I haven't done a yoga session beforehand.
                If it only happens when you don't practice your yoga beforehand, then energy leakage out of the bottom of the feet sounds like the most likely (metaphysical) explanation.

A lot of the body's denser energy is stored in the legs, and one of the first goals in most yogic systems is to get that energy flowing upwards through the pelvis and throughout the body (a particularly big issue these days with our sedentary 21st century lifestyle). This is why a lot of postures (at least in Chinese systems, I can't speak for Indian yoga, but they share a common historical lineage and the same basic principles) involve straightening the spine and tucking in the tailbone - it aligns the meridians in the pelvis and allows that upward energy flow. You can actually feel it quite intensely if you maintain certain postures long enough. The seated lotus posture also has this effect, but it's fairly difficult to achieve for long stretches of time without extensive stretching to build up to it (even more difficult to do so without injuring your knees).

(not quite the version I was taught, but the legs/pelvis/spine are accurate)

My guess would be that without practicing your yoga beforehand, your tailbone isn't getting tucked in and straightening your spine, the energy that you stir up during meditation is blocked from going upwards (so tp speak) and circulating, and so instead it takes the next easiest way out, the energy centers at the bottom of the feet (which by their nature allow energy to flow in and out).

Simplest solution is to just practice your yoga beforehand, at least a shortened routine of a few postures which will achieve what I mentioned. Or you could try just adjusting your savasana so that your spine is straightened - putting something under your knees might help here, lift the legs up a bit and allow the tailbone to tuck in and align with the rest of the spine. But practicing moving exercises before still ones is a good habit to get into (and a small stretching routine before those isn't a bad idea), as it stretches and limbers up the body and gets the energy flowing.
                Last edited by Aeran; 25 Dec 2014, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                  If it only happens when you don't practice your yoga beforehand, then energy leakage out of the bottom of the feet sounds like the most likely (metaphysical) explanation.

A lot of the body's denser energy is stored in the legs, and one of the first goals in most yogic systems is to get that energy flowing upwards through the pelvis and throughout the body (a particularly big issue these days with our sedentary 21st century lifestyle). This is why a lot of postures (at least in Chinese systems, I can't speak for Indian yoga, but they share a common historical lineage and the same basic principles) involve straightening the spine and tucking in the tailbone - it aligns the meridians in the pelvis and allows that upward energy flow. You can actually feel it quite intensely if you maintain certain postures long enough. The seated lotus posture also has this effect, but it's fairly difficult to achieve for long stretches of time without extensive stretching to build up to it (even more difficult to do so without injuring your knees).

(not quite the version I was taught, but the legs/pelvis/spine are accurate)

My guess would be that without practicing your yoga beforehand, your tailbone isn't getting tucked in and straightening your spine, the energy that you stir up during meditation is blocked from going upwards (so tp speak) and circulating, and so instead it takes the next easiest way out, the energy centers at the bottom of the feet (which by their nature allow energy to flow in and out).

Simplest solution is to just practice your yoga beforehand, at least a shortened routine of a few postures which will achieve what I mentioned. Or you could try just adjusting your savasana so that your spine is straightened - putting something under your knees might help here, lift the legs up a bit and allow the tailbone to tuck in and align with the rest of the spine. But practicing moving exercises before still ones is a good habit to get into (and a small stretching routine before those isn't a bad idea), as it stretches and limbers up the body and gets the energy flowing.
                  It's a really good thing! I second this.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Wow thank you Aeran. And Gleb your advice to elevate the feet works and maybe for reasons Aeran outlined. Thank you MoonRaven for pointing out physical explanations. I live in a house that is totally tiled and my feet do get incredibly sore from that if I do not treat my feet well. However, the feeling I have really isn't a physical one and I can't explain it any other way than I just know. Thanks everybody for the helpful responses.

Comment

No worries, just remember, hips forward and up, tailbone tucked in, spine straight Some kind of setup like this might help:

Going a little off topic here, but if your house is entirely tiled like you say, you'd probably get a real benefit out of practicing some grounding. If you have any standing asanas, try them outdoors with your shoes & socks off, on bare or grassy ground. If you don't, even just sitting barefoot in a chair on the lawn, meditating, or even just reading, works, although somewhat less effectively. Like I mentioned the energy centers in the feet mainly function to exchange energy, and for most of human existence they served to flush stagnant "energy" (chi, prana, whatever you want to call it) out of the body and bring in new, fresh energy from the earth. As our society has changed to incorporate artificial, non-conductive flooring/shoe materials and apartment building living, it's resulted in many people going weeks or months at a time without this process taking place, which causes a slow and steady buildup of stagnant energy and an imbalance in the energetic anatomy due to the lack of dense earthy/'yin' (to use the Chinese terminology) energy coming into the body, which can manifest in all sorts of nasty ways (speaking from personal experience, which is why I bring it up).

Give it a shot for a few weeks if you feel like it, see if it makes a difference for you.

Comment

Thanks again!! I feel like I just left the Dr's office.

Comment

Working...
                        X