X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking about wine

Can we go on talking about wine?

Either in that thread:

Talking about wine .... :) A never ending subject - and a pleasant one. I remember that I started a thread about wine in the old forum - and would like to start a thread about wine again now. To begin the talk I ask: Do you remember the wine that you had most recently? What was it - and how was it? :)

Or in a new one?

- - - Updated - - -

----------------------

May I start the subject with these questions - as before:

-------------------------

Do you remember the wine that you had most recently?

What was it - and how was it?

Re: Talking about wine

Please use this thread. I was going to unlock the other one but then I realised it was almost two years since someone posted in there. Better just make it a fresh start.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I do wine tours locally (kinda) always. Since hubby and I married (under 2 years) we've done 3 wino trips. Looooove the barossa valley. We did mclaren for pur anniversary.

Last wine was some cheapy sauv blanv I didnt pay for.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Comment

Ever since people discovered that good wine doesn't HAVE to come from France, a lot of places have started cranking it out. Since I'm a Michigander, I usually like to stick to Michigan made wines. The western side of the state has some really outstanding vinyards & vintners.

My personal favorites come from Black Star, or Grand Traverse, but they are a bit pricey, so the last one I had was Left Foot Charlie Red. Not too bad.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Ever since people discovered that good wine doesn't HAVE to come from France ....

You are so right!

Germany also has very good wine - though not many people know this abroad!

Comment

CA wines from Clarksburg are my current favorite (and close by home too!). A Todd Taylor Primitivo being my current red of choice. And a Rendevous Chenin Blanc.

I have a fondness for Australian wines too. They have some very interesting selections at the import store.

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
                Do you remember the wine that you had most recently?

What was it - and how was it?
                A wine from one of our local wineries:

Bird in Hand's Montepulciano (red).

It was nice. Pretty much as it's described, it has "lifted varietal aromas of sweet black briary fruits. The long palatte includes flavours of blackberry and current with firm tannins ensuring a silky finish".

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Since I'm a Michigander, I usually like to stick to Michigan made wines. The western side of the state has some really outstanding vinyards & vintners.

I have had a look:

##Pinot Grigio
                  ##Sauvignon Blanc
                  ##True Chardonnay
                  ##Chardonnay Reserve
                  ##Gewurztraminer
                  ##Dry Riesling
                  ##Lakeshore White
                  ##Edelzwicker
                  ##Vino Verde

Fenn Valley Vineyards is a family owned and operated vineyard and winery complex established in 1973. Our goal has always been to produce world-class wines from grapes grown along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Three names are German!

Comment

Thats because people are too preoccupied by German beer!!! And rightly so!

Australian wine is amazeballs. South Australian wine is pretty top notch, Victoria has some great ones. New Zealand makes some of the best Sauv Blanc in the world.

If you're looking as Australian wines, generally get reds from the Barossa Valleh, and whites (mostly Reisling) from the Clare Valley
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Just my taste,but I dislike drinking wine,even the very good wine...I just do not like the taste or the effect...that is all,go back to sipping your fine wine..
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I like Yellow Tail Cabernet (Australian). Surprisingly good for its low price! We have a couple of local wineries here in MO, what I've tasted was sweet and I prefer dry, so I can't make a judgement. I went to Cream Ridge Winery in NJ once and they had some really interesting stuff.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

You are so right!

It's probably because most of the German wines sold abroad are TERRIBLE. When I was visiting family in Canada, I saw a bottle of Black Tower wine at the local liquor store (where they sell liquor, beer, and wine). It was $30 (maybe about 23 Euro?) It costs less than 3 Euros here and it's one of the terrible wines they sell at the Netto down the road from me. Other than that, I often see a wine called Blue Nun, which is another terrible wine that prices at under 3 Euros in Germany. Anyway, it's always awful and it's always expensive. When I was in the UK, I also only saw really bad German wines on the shelves. I have a feeling that we keep all the good wine for ourselves and just export the bad ones!

I really like wines from the Mosel, though Saxony also makes surprisingly good wines. In a town in Brandenburg near Berlin, they have a fruit wine festival every May. There are also some interesting choices there.

British Columbia also produces great wine, but unfortunately you can only get it there. None of the wineries are big enough to export.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            None of the wineries are big enough to export.

I'm finding this is true of some of the best wineries I've found.

Comment

Blue Nun! Haha!! I remember drinking that decades ago. I don't think I liked it much. But then, I wasn't a connoisseur. A good Saturday night was a bottle of that, or Strawberry Hill. ***puke***
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X