Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prolonging a break that has been taken

Hello everyone!
    I can only speak for myself here, but I know that with many people, there is a break with the deities the person works with, on a specific level. The person takes a break for some reason, or the deity decides so - it can be both. So this "break" has been prolonged in my case. On one hand it was a great opportunity to train my 6th sense, clairvoyance, but on the other hand, I have no idea how to end this "break".
    And to be honest, I have been feeling sort of helpless during the past few days. My grandfather has been taken to the hospital, luckily, everything ended well. Though I felt sort of rejected after praying to Sekhmet for my grandfather. She helped, I knew that. But the feeling was like I was being rejected for some reason.

Thoughts?

P.S.
    This is not only with Sekhmet. It's also with Djehuty - the primary deity I work with. I pray for Sekhmet for healing, though the number of times I prayed to her can be estimated by fingers on one hand.
    Last edited by Gleb; 17 Oct 2014, 12:05.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Prolonging a break that has been taken

Just my own opinion and perspective but I think they tend to leave us to walk on our own which makes some of us feel alone. Using the parent analogy they don't pat us on the back and say good job every time we do something. So when we really do something special then they acknowledge it otherwise why give false praise and honorings. They want us to be self sufficient and stand upon our own feet and the only way to do that is not treat you like a child and hold your hand every second of every day and tell you congrats, you woke up today or good job you tied your shoe.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I agree with monsno.

I would just also ask what you're doing during this break to maintain ties with your deities?

For instance, sometimes Spirits can "reject" our pleas if, for example, They find us to be like those relatives you never see when things are peachy, but who call on you the minute they need money.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
        ...They find us to be like those relatives you never see when things are peachy, but who call on you the minute they need money.
        This is what I was going to say, only probably with a hundred more words than Torey used lol.

Sometimes you have to prove that you are really 'back' and dedicated to reforming the relationship. Perseverance and proving your level of commitment can be helpful here. Our deities are busy entities... and they have thousands of committed followers to split their attention between. No matter how good the relationship was before, they probably aren't sitting around waiting for you to show your face again. Sometimes when you get back from a break, you get ignored or you get the Divine Answering Machine until they can see that you are serious about continuing on.

I see relationships with deities as a two way street... they scratch your back if you scratch theirs. That's where devotional work comes into play... in order to get that personalised attention, you have to feed enough of your time and energy into them to make it worth their while. An intermittent prayer here and there wont get you personalised attention. It'll get you the Divine Answering Machine. And once you've had personalised attention, you can tell when you aren't getting it. Relationship history doesn't guarantee continued personalised attention if you aren't keeping up your end of the bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Just my own opinion and perspective but I think they tend to leave us to walk on our own which makes some of us feel alone. Using the parent analogy they don't pat us on the back and say good job every time we do something. So when we really do something special then they acknowledge it otherwise why give false praise and honorings. They want us to be self sufficient and stand upon our own feet and the only way to do that is not treat you like a child and hold your hand every second of every day and tell you congrats, you woke up today or good job you tied your shoe.
          Makes sense. I barely have good friends here where I live, so I try to stick with Djehuty and Bast as much as possible. I just want to know they will be there if needed. But I know that at some point, I'll have to walk without them.
          Originally posted by Torey View Post
          I would just also ask what you're doing during this break to maintain ties with your deities?

For instance, sometimes Spirits can "reject" our pleas if, for example, They find us to be like those relatives you never see when things are peachy, but who call on you the minute they need money.
          I always think about Djehuty and how things connected to him work. For instance, is everything ok with the other deities, and so on. I also try to talk with him from time to time. But that's not enough... It doesn't seem to be.
          Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          This is what I was going to say, only probably with a hundred more words than Torey used lol.

Sometimes you have to prove that you are really 'back' and dedicated to reforming the relationship. Perseverance and proving your level of commitment can be helpful here. Our deities are busy entities... and they have thousands of committed followers to split their attention between. No matter how good the relationship was before, they probably aren't sitting around waiting for you to show your face again. Sometimes when you get back from a break, you get ignored or you get the Divine Answering Machine until they can see that you are serious about continuing on.

I see relationships with deities as a two way street... they scratch your back if you scratch theirs. That's where devotional work comes into play... in order to get that personalised attention, you have to feed enough of your time and energy into them to make it worth their while. An intermittent prayer here and there wont get you personalised attention. It'll get you the Divine Answering Machine. And once you've had personalised attention, you can tell when you aren't getting it. Relationship history doesn't guarantee continued personalised attention if you aren't keeping up your end of the bargain.
          Makes sense, too. I can think only of one way to "return". To read more books, and pray to him more often. Does this count?
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Gleb hi, I hope this encourages you. I have gone through seasons like this before of two different kinds. The first was when I felt absolutely nothing from God when I prayed. I had kept my habit of prayer, study of the Bible and worship through song daily but felt nothing. This persisted for quite some time. I don't even remember when I started feeling again, but I just kept on with my habits regardless. The other season is like one I'm in now. I don't feel God in the same ways anymore. I can try to pray and worship in the same way I used to, but it's ineffective. I have had to try other ways to make the connection. So yea, either just be consistent in your habits or maybe try different methods.

Comment

By the way, is there something like hibernation when comes to connection with one of the gods?

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                By the way, is there something like hibernation when comes to connection with one of the gods?
                Define hibernation? Part of what you are experiencing maybe because you've tried placing Christian theory upon a pagan backdrop. Consider Artemis and the offering of cakes to her as part of ritual. Many claim its to be done each month yet the place it comes from only did it every 6 years with those special cakes. The procession of the key in regards to Hekate worship at Lagina appears to have only occurred twice a year. Other festivals and such at larger intervals between them though the temple / shrine / sanctuary were fully staffed with a priestly class and dedicated to those gods / goddesses.

That's not even touching upon the idea of right practice versus right belief. Right practice where how you do things is more important than believing in the gods / goddess or right belief where believing in them and worship / honoring is more important than how you do it. Right Belief falls more into many forms of Christian and Pagan dogma than archaic practices. In part I suppose because many equate there to be a relationship with the divine that is more personal which makes them feel special.

Myself I probably fall closer to right practice with hints of right belief in my practice. The gods and goddesses I am blood bound to and make offering / libations to I do not see as being a parental type figure nor do I see them as an equal or sibling type relationship. So to me I will walk more alone than I will with them at my side chirping away in my ears.

In some ways bringing on The Dark Night of the Soul type scenario more often. That point where you question your beliefs about everything spiritual / religious wise and what it does for you and what you expect from it. I suppose you could equate it to a life insurance policy, we pay into it but we don't expect a daily accounting returned to us from the agent who issued it. When needed we trust it to be there. That trust and belief the aspect of doubt at times that has to be faced.

Sorry this probably didn't answer or help but its what came out so i'll leave it at that.

Comment

By hibernation, I mean something like a non-active volcano. I can't define it otherwise. A non active volcano doesn't show any signs of activity. When it comes to my connection with the divine, I sort of feel nobody is there. I try to contact Djehuty, pray to him. But there is a feeling that he is absent.
                  With Bast it's a bit different. I know she hears me, but the feeling is like I am being watched like a gazelle by a lioness. Like she watches how I do different things, but doesn't show any signs of participation.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't expect them to do miracles for me, I just want a sign that they are there. Watching. I know they will help when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    By hibernation, I mean something like a non-active volcano. I can't define it otherwise. A non active volcano doesn't show any signs of activity. When it comes to my connection with the divine, I sort of feel nobody is there. I try to contact Djehuty, pray to him. But there is a feeling that he is absent.
                    With Bast it's a bit different. I know she hears me, but the feeling is like I am being watched like a gazelle by a lioness. Like she watches how I do different things, but doesn't show any signs of participation.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't expect them to do miracles for me, I just want a sign that they are there. Watching. I know they will help when needed.
                    Consider when the government makes itself known that they are watching and will help when needed. Usually its not of benefit to the person but done at their expense and within confinements and such that only serve the government. So why would you want something similar from the gods / goddesses? What kinds of signs are supposed to be given that show yes they are watching but no they are not trying to live your life for you and are allowing you to live it? Then how often are these signs supposed to be given? Hourly, weekly, monthly, semi-annually, bi-annually, annually?

If you superimpose some human traits on them how well do you as a person like having someone clinging onto you for everything and constantly being reminded yes you are there. Unable or nearly unable to make any move because they require your permission to do so, even if that permission is only implied by their own need and desire to have such. Like some little brother or sister who you can't get ride of and your mom and dad tell you to just take them with you so they shut up. You tell your sibling to go play, go read, go do anything just get out of your hair and off your pants leg, for at least a few minutes if nothing else. You love your siblings but look at them like some nasty cling on that you can't get ride of and it won't remove itself either so you start to try and hide from them, ignore them or potentially even strike lightly at them to push them away and make them stand on their own and not on your feet.

You also have to consider have you ever been accepted by a particular god / goddess to begin with? Yeah you choose them and are certain they accepted but did they or have you just convinced yourself they did? Now that they are not answering as you like you have to face the possibility that they didn't accept you, all that happened is you convinced yourself that they did. So you pass back into the dark night of the soul type scenario.

Comment

I can't compare any deity to a government of a country. It is so different. The government has other things to worry about, that are not me. For instance, taxes, military defence, education and so on. Plus, no man is more superior than any other man. A deity is more superior.
                      I don't ask for a specific period of time either. Just to say something like "I am here, don't worry". As far as I can recall, it is through dreams. It has been always through dreams.

Why are you comparing a deity to a sibling? Or I just don't get it right... I can't treat any deity, without connection to its origin like a sibling or a human. I treat any god or goddess with great honor and respect. Even more than many humans deserve.

I tried Heru some time ago. But it didn't turn out. He didn't answer. Djehuty answered. Like I said earlier, and in some threads - he sent me signs and messages through dreams. You may ask how do I know it was him and not just an ordinary dream. If you want to ask this question, then my answer is - I have learned to differ.
                      As concerning Bast - she showed me more practical ways to enjoy life. For instance, when there was war during the summer holiday, I got a chance to participate in a trip to the north of Israel. Many other things too, for instance meeting friends in my spare time. And usually I barely get out of home. Only to school, back and to take the dog out.

About convincing myself - I call it getting into a self made illusion of reality. When I do this, I am aware by 100% that I get into an illusion of reality. There is no doubt that what I have experienced is not illusion.

Comment

Every so often, the gods just...leave. It doesn't mean they won't come back. There's a certain god that checks up on me for a month or two out of every year and then leaves again. It freaked me out the first time it happened, but I'm getting used to it.

I don't personally work with Bast or Dejuty, but could they just be waiting to see what you do with this fallow period? Could they be trying to nudge you in the direction of other gods? Could they be trying to get you to be less reliant on them? There are a lot of questions and there are some you probably need to ask yourself.

It's hard. It's very hard. But you can get through it.

Comment

Originally posted by HarpingHawke View Post
                          Every so often, the gods just...leave. It doesn't mean they won't come back. There's a certain god that checks up on me for a month or two out of every year and then leaves again. It freaked me out the first time it happened, but I'm getting used to it.

I don't personally work with Bast or Dejuty, but could they just be waiting to see what you do with this fallow period? Could they be trying to nudge you in the direction of other gods? Could they be trying to get you to be less reliant on them? There are a lot of questions and there are some you probably need to ask yourself.

It's hard. It's very hard. But you can get through it.
                          Thanks for sharing! I have been kinda freaked out for the past few days.

Perhaps. I've been their devotee for a long time. I have lost count already. Perhaps it's they want to see how I do on my own. As concerning other gods - it is an interesting idea, very interesting. I have to check it out.
                          It is also possible that they tried to get me to be less reliant.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X