puzzle feeders and other toys for cats and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puzzle feeders and other toys for cats and dogs

I think I might also build him a new scratching post in the living room. He doesn't have a post yet in the living room, just a board. He also needs more climbing possibilities in that room, because right now he tries to climb up the leather chair and onto the stereo and flat-screen tv (he -barely- fits there and I'm afraid he'll knock it over). He's just doing what comes naturally, so I thought I'd make a post with a platform on top. Right now, we have a small cupboard and a very tall cupboard, which he can't get up to at the moment...I thought that if I put the post between the two, he could use it to climb up to the top of the tall cupboard, which is the tallest thing in the room. That would give him an outlet for all of his energy without destroying our stuff (I hope).

I'm also making him one of these: http://www.yeepet.com/store/images/1309485399.228241568, because he likes to burrow into things. He is both a bush cat and a tree cat. I may also make him a tunnel like this: http://www.bestbuypet.com/wholesale/...tunnel-New.JPG

Leather chair already has claw marks on the seat, because he can't seem to jump on anything without diving onto it claws first. We've had it all of a week and a half

I think he really, really has to be an outdoor cat. He's just too wild and energetic and we can't seem to train him out of it, even in a big apartment with a big outdoor terrace space. We're moving in a few months and we want to find a townhouse, apartment, or house with a garden. If we weren't, I'd kind of consider rehoming him...we love him to bits, but I don't think he's happy as things are. He just needs somewhere where he can run around, jump, climb, and get into things.

Re: Trimming claws, soft paws, etc

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I think I might also build him a new scratching post in the living room. He doesn't have a post yet in the living room, just a board. He also needs more climbing possibilities in that room, because right now he tries to climb up the leather chair and onto the stereo and flat-screen tv (he -barely- fits there and I'm afraid he'll knock it over). He's just doing what comes naturally, so I thought I'd make a post with a platform on top. Right now, we have a small cupboard and a very tall cupboard, which he can't get up to at the moment...I thought that if I put the post between the two, he could use it to climb up to the top of the tall cupboard, which is the tallest thing in the room. That would give him an outlet for all of his energy without destroying our stuff (I hope).

I'm also making him one of these: http://www.yeepet.com/store/images/1309485399.228241568, because he likes to burrow into things. He is both a bush cat and a tree cat. I may also make him a tunnel like this: http://www.bestbuypet.com/wholesale/...tunnel-New.JPG

Leather chair already has claw marks on the seat, because he can't seem to jump on anything without diving onto it claws first. We've had it all of a week and a half

I think he really, really has to be an outdoor cat. He's just too wild and energetic and we can't seem to train him out of it, even in a big apartment with a big outdoor terrace space. We're moving in a few months and we want to find a townhouse, apartment, or house with a garden. If we weren't, I'd kind of consider rehoming him...we love him to bits, but I don't think he's happy as things are. He just needs somewhere where he can run around, jump, climb, and get into things.
    You can give him things to climb and jump on indoors... everything you just said is a fabulous idea. Do you have a particular reason for feeling that he is not happy indoors? Everything you've described is pretty normal... cats who are unhappy indoors will usually show signs of anxiety or be really proactive about escape attempts. Energetic and boisterous is a personality trait, but it doesn't necessarily preclude them from being indoors. It just depends on how far you can go with creating an indoor cat gym.

Just be aware that highly active personalities are usually the ones who get into the most trouble outdoors. Contrary to popular belief, they don't need oodles of space... just the right climb-jump-survey-observe-crawl-play outlets. It's amazing what you can do with cat enclosures and small courtyard or balcony spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      You can give him things to climb and jump on indoors... everything you just said is a fabulous idea. Do you have a particular reason for feeling that he is not happy indoors? Everything you've described is pretty normal... cats who are unhappy indoors will usually show signs of anxiety or be really proactive about escape attempts. Energetic and boisterous is a personality trait, but it doesn't necessarily preclude them from being indoors. It just depends on how far you can go with creating an indoor cat gym.

Just be aware that highly active personalities are usually the ones who get into the most trouble outdoors. Contrary to popular belief, they don't need oodles of space... just the right climb-jump-survey-observe-crawl-play outlets. It's amazing what you can do with cat enclosures and small courtyard or balcony spaces.
      He just seems aggressive at times still. The energy is fine, but he lashes out sometimes. Like, he'll start howling, scratching at things aggressively, or even attack sometimes. He just seems sort of trapped, but maybe I'm misinterpreting it. Maybe he really does just need more to climb on. I'm hoping the new post/jumping board and hidey places help. I built him a box fort once...he loved it. Unfortunately, it was too big to stay in the flat.

Maybe I'm also projecting my own feelings onto him...I've been feeling trapped since H left (he's already living where we're moving and I'm going over there later). I work at home by myself and although it's a big apartment, it still feels confining. There are just the three rooms and we have way, way, way to much stuff....seriously, I'm kind of glad we're moving, because we'll leave half of it behind as a furnished flat (I'm renting out our current place) and it gives us an excuse to get rid of all that stuff we've been hanging on to). Also with the weather changing over into fall, there's less chance to get out and about (I hate being cold....hate it). But yeah....I feel like both Albert and I are kind of restless. I think Albert misses H quite a bit...he's so much calmer when he's home.

Comment

He just seems aggressive at times still. The energy is fine, but he lashes out sometimes. Like, he'll start howling, scratching at things aggressively, or even attack sometimes. He just seems sort of trapped, but maybe I'm misinterpreting it. Maybe he really does just need more to climb on. I'm hoping the new post/jumping board and hidey places help. I built him a box fort once...he loved it. Unfortunately, it was too big to stay in the flat.

Maybe I'm also projecting my own feelings onto him...I've been feeling trapped since H left (he's already living where we're moving and I'm going over there later). I work at home by myself and although it's a big apartment, it still feels confining. There are just the three rooms and we have way, way, way to much stuff....seriously, I'm kind of glad we're moving, because we'll leave half of it behind as a furnished flat (I'm renting out our current place) and it gives us an excuse to get rid of all that stuff we've been hanging on to). Also with the weather changing over into fall, there's less chance to get out and about (I hate being cold....hate it). But yeah....I feel like both Albert and I are kind of restless. I think Albert misses H quite a bit...he's so much calmer when he's home.
        Redirected aggression can be a sign of anxiety, but aggressive play can also be completely 'normal' for certain personalities. If I recall, he was rehomed to you, no? Do you know why?

It's true that some cats do better as outdoor cats. But it's also true that sometimes we just think they do, because we stop seeing the behaviour, not because they aren't doing it, but because they are now inflicting it on the neighbour's garden or the cat up the road.

Comment

Redirected aggression can be a sign of anxiety, but aggressive play can also be completely 'normal' for certain personalities. If I recall, he was rehomed to you, no? Do you know why?

It's true that some cats do better as outdoor cats. But it's also true that sometimes we just think they do, because we stop seeing the behaviour, not because they aren't doing it, but because they are now inflicting it on the neighbour's garden or the cat up the road.
          Good point. Though, we want to move to a place with a garden for us as well, and I can't imagine it would be easy (or even possible) to keep him inside. He's almost unmanageable when he wants to go on the balcony and I won't let him (because it's cold out and I don't want to leave the door open and I'm not just going to shut him out there unsupervised!)

He was re-homed to us because he wasn't happy in his old home. From what I understand, he was displaying the same aggressive tendencies, which he didn't before. His previous owner moved to Berlin from somewhere in Thuringia (I can't remember where), lived in a much smaller flat in the middle of the city, and was away a LOT (business trips, nights with his GF, etc). Albert needs a lot of attention and doesn't really deal very well when he's left alone on a regular basis. He's a high energy cat and doesn't play well by himself...he needs someone to play with him (we do! it makes him happy!)

Usually he gets aggressive when he wants attention or wants to go outside on the balcony. So, when I'm on Skype with my boyfriend, trying to work, or when he feels like going out). I play with him, but I can't give him my undivided attention whenever he feels like it. I'm hoping having a few more outlets for his energy will help him feel more relaxed.

Comment

Danie, have you thought about puzzle feeders? When Sophie had her birthday party, we made wild cat enrichment toys to send to a big cat rescue...we made giant zebras according to their specification (and then mailed them) and they put food treats in them (sometimes catnip), and ya know, the big guy's take them down. Apparently little kitties like them too (we did the diy water bottle version and the toilet paper roll one for Smitten, its more challenging on carpet compared to hard surfaces, but it entertains her during the daytime when we are at work/school). Dogs like 'em too (V, if you are reading this, it might entertain your pup while you are at work).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Danie, have you thought about puzzle feeders? When Sophie had her birthday party, we made wild cat enrichment toys to send to a big cat rescue...we made giant zebras according to their specification (and then mailed them) and they put food treats in them (sometimes catnip), and ya know, the big guy's take them down. Apparently little kitties like them too (we did the diy water bottle version and the toilet paper roll one for Smitten, its more challenging on carpet compared to hard surfaces, but it entertains her during the daytime when we are at work/school). Dogs like 'em too (V, if you are reading this, it might entertain your pup while you are at work).
              This is what I mean when I talk about activity treat balls... Kong and Buster Cube are two other brands. Personally, I think all dogs and cats should be fed from these. You can put their dry kibble in there... it doesn't have to be treats. Our clinic cat is fed solely out of one of these, as are most of our staff pets. The Buster Cubes are the hardest, but there are also flat, stationary kinds with swivel tops that the pet has to manipulate. Anything that makes them have to think and work for their food and/or treats is a fabulous idea.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Yeah, we have one, but he doesn't seem interested in it. He likes the treats that come out of it, but he doesn't seem to make the connection between the ball and the treats. I still think it's a great idea, though....maybe a different design will work. Thanks for the links!

Comment

Yeah, we have one, but he doesn't seem interested in it. He likes the treats that come out of it, but he doesn't seem to make the connection between the ball and the treats. I still think it's a great idea, though....maybe a different design will work. Thanks for the links!
                  Feed him his actual food out of it. Treats aren't usually enough of a motivator for a house cat that gets two square meals a day. So put his food bowl in the cupboard and give him his kibble in the ball. He'll soon work out that in order to eat, he has to use it. Don't panic if he goes hungry one night... every time he asks for dinner, go push his ball until a few drop out. Make sure it's on the easiest setting for the first week or so. He'll work it out. Just be prepared to have to go fetch it when he gets it stuck under furniture. Flynn will come tell us when he got his ball stuck, but unfortunately doesn't tell us WHERE he got it stuck! So then there's a mad hunt behind doors and under cages to find it. He rolls that thing all up and down the clinic eating his breakfast or dinner. I also use one in puppy pre-school classes, and it takes the average puppy about five seconds to work it out. It also takes the smart puppies about five seconds to work out that they should just follow the other puppy around and eat the kibble while the other pup does all the work of rolling it around.

The other thing I do with Flynn sometimes when I've got a few minutes (which isn't very often) is toss his kibble to him one at a time up the hallway. He runs and pounces on it then eats it, then waits for the next one. All of this is geared up to simulate natural behaviours... what would he be doing outside or 'in the wild' and how can you simulate that indoors? Environmental enrichment for zoo animals is exactly the same... all the same concepts can and are translated into pet animals... or at least they should be. Most pet owners don't give their home alone pets enough environmental enrichment, which is why 'destructive' pets are so common. Static toys are not environmental enrichment for intelligent pets.

Torey just, right this second, inadvertently gave me a great example here... his co-worker has ferrets, and it was one of her ferret's birthday today. So she put up on FB that she bought him a birthday present. Not a toy. Not a treat. A big bag of sand. Best birthday present ever.

Comment

Feed him his actual food out of it. Treats aren't usually enough of a motivator for a house cat that gets two square meals a day. So put his food bowl in the cupboard and give him his kibble in the ball. He'll soon work out that in order to eat, he has to use it. Don't panic if he goes hungry one night... every time he asks for dinner, go push his ball until a few drop out. Make sure it's on the easiest setting for the first week or so. He'll work it out. Just be prepared to have to go fetch it when he gets it stuck under furniture. Flynn will come tell us when he got his ball stuck, but unfortunately doesn't tell us WHERE he got it stuck! So then there's a mad hunt behind doors and under cages to find it. He rolls that thing all up and down the clinic eating his breakfast or dinner. I also use one in puppy pre-school classes, and it takes the average puppy about five seconds to work it out. It also takes the smart puppies about five seconds to work out that they should just follow the other puppy around and eat the kibble while the other pup does all the work of rolling it around.

The other thing I do with Flynn sometimes when I've got a few minutes (which isn't very often) is toss his kibble to him one at a time up the hallway. He runs and pounces on it then eats it, then waits for the next one. All of this is geared up to simulate natural behaviours... what would he be doing outside or 'in the wild' and how can you simulate that indoors? Environmental enrichment for zoo animals is exactly the same... all the same concepts can and are translated into pet animals... or at least they should be. Most pet owners don't give their home alone pets enough environmental enrichment, which is why 'destructive' pets are so common. Static toys are not environmental enrichment for intelligent pets.

Torey just, right this second, inadvertently gave me a great example here... his co-worker has ferrets, and it was one of her ferret's birthday today. So she put up on FB that she bought him a birthday present. Not a toy. Not a treat. A big bag of sand. Best birthday present ever.
                    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely do that asap.

Comment

Soooo he's still not really "getting" it....I keep trying to show him, but he doesn't really make the connection between the food coming out of the ball and the ball itself. Maybe it will help to rub some wet food on it?

This is a cat that once found a sealed bag of his food in a full shopping bag, dragged it out, and ripped it open, and who has almost successfully opened the cupboard that has his food on several different occasions. I refuse to believe that he can't figure this out!

Comment

Soooo he's still not really "getting" it....I keep trying to show him, but he doesn't really make the connection between the food coming out of the ball and the ball itself. Maybe it will help to rub some wet food on it?

This is a cat that once found a sealed bag of his food in a full shopping bag, dragged it out, and ripped it open, and who has almost successfully opened the cupboard that has his food on several different occasions. I refuse to believe that he can't figure this out!

I ended up getting this roly ball with holes (ordered it online) after using a yogurt container that I put holes into with the kitty. The problem we ran into was 1) carpeted floor was hard for the kitty to roll the cylindrical-ish container on, and 2) he couldn't *see* the food in the container (the ball I bought is clear) and didn't seem to make the connection between food and container, and 3) he's only 9 weeks old, so the container is about as big as he is and we couldn't put much food in it because it got too heavy for him!

But, what helped was putting some food under the container, and sort of trailing it out. He got it, but he still had problems (which is why we bought the ball). Although, some of the reviews I read on the feeder (and some of the other feeder options I looked at) did mention using wet food on the outside to sort of "bait" the toy, also...just giving it some time. A number of reviewers said it took their pets as much as a week to really figure it out...a few reviews mentioned that their pet didn't "get it" until they stopped feeding them at their regular times (why bother when you don't have to work for it?) and it seemed that they needed the incentive of a few missed meals.

Another option might be something more like this, where he can see the food (we will probably get this too, eventually).
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Great link, thal!

I've tried feeding out of toys. I have one of those wobbly Kong things, and I put his food in it, and I pat pat pat to show him, hey food comes out, and he's interested for like three seconds, and then says 'eff it, I won't eat". I can tell, my dog is terribly bored pretty much any time I'm not actively playing with him, and he's got (or getting) separation anxiety (but that's another issue).

Basically, my dogs two loves in life are destroying my yard and running. He doesn't want to play with ropes, or balls, or toys stuffed with peanut butter, or toys stuffed with treats, and when we are training, he doesn't even seem that keen on treats. He chews bones for maybe 30 minutes max, then buries it in the yard, never to be seen again. He doesn't like stuffed toys to destroy, nada.

Just running and digging holes in my yard, and tearing up my bales of hay for his doghouse (which he also doesn't use - I've been trying to feed him in there, but then he just won't eat because he won't go in).

My dog is hopeless.

Mostly art.

Comment

What Thal said. Most animals are inherently lazy when it comes to dinner, even if they go to extraordinary lengths for treats or stolen bits... you have to convince him that this is how he eats. Make sure that it is the right size and that the hole is initially big enough that food falls out with the slightest roll, then build up from there. You can also sit the ball on top of some kibble so he has to knock it off to get the kibble. He'll get it eventually, and 2-3 missed meals wont hurt him.

Comment

What Thal said. Most animals are inherently lazy when it comes to dinner, even if they go to extraordinary lengths for treats or stolen bits... you have to convince him that this is how he eats. Make sure that it is the right size and that the hole is initially big enough that food falls out with the slightest roll, then build up from there. You can also sit the ball on top of some kibble so he has to knock it off to get the kibble. He'll get it eventually, and 2-3 missed meals wont hurt him.
                              I'm just getting a bit concerned, because it's been about 48 hours and in that time period, he's only had the bits that I've "helped" him get from the ball. I've tried putting some wet food on it, but it doesn't work. The hole is also the biggest it can be and quite a bit of kibble comes out.

I'm wondering if the ball itself sucks. It seems to be weighted so that the opening sits at the top. You have to give it quite a bit of a roll to get it so that it will turn around and drop food. Plus, it's made of a really thick material and I think it's hard to smell the food in there. Maybe I should just try a different one?

Comment

Working...
                              X