Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folklore and Religion: How Far Does Your Faith Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Folklore and Religion: How Far Does Your Faith Go?

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    Now, this is totally connected, at least in my way of thinking.

Why is it that people will readily believe in ghosts, aliens, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, gods, angels, demons, devils, saints, and so forth, but the moment you mention fairies, trolls, and elves they become skeptics?

People think nothing of walking into a church, praying to an angel or a saint, dropping a few bucks into an offering box, and lighting a candle with the hopes of getting some sort of result.

Is that really so much different than standing by a certain tree, making a request, then leaving behind a bowl of milk, some biscuits, or a thimbleful of ale so that the local fae would take notice and respond?
    I think people become skeptics about the Fae because the definition of what the Fae are varies so greatly and is tied so closely to fantasy. For many the Fae become a sort of tinker belle fairy yet ask them about Leprechauns or Little People for instance and they believe. Say Fae to some and they again imagine the story book stuff but mention seelie courts, unseelie courts, trooping or non-trooping or such and they are willing to accept them as those are the terms used in their upbringing.

When I was stationed in Scotland we had some talks about the Fae and it was children's foolishness. Yet mention Red Cap and then suddenly it was a real danger. Water Horses where to be feared under certain moon conditions and the locals wouldn't venture near an open source at all. Heck even the moon itself was special and I heard more than one Scot refuse to go out at its height less the wolves get them. Yeah tried that once as part of a snipe hunt for some people under a full moon. Yet when we got out and about there were actually quite a few troll bridges or entrances that you still threw a shilling or pence down into to ensure safe passage. Places where you'd see coins but you'd not even think of picking one up.

So for me the usage and how the word Fae is received comes from not using the right words for the right situation. Which sort of continues the notion of childish foolishness on the part of pagans who lump it all together as the Fae. Not saying those who utilize the Fae or practice Fairy type Wicca are childish just that's how I often see it spoken of.

As far as folk customs of thimble of ale, bowl or cup of milk, piece's of bread more often than not that was a private matter and not spoken of outside the family. Everyone knew everyone was doing it but you didn't speak about it. Like the cobbler's who made shoe's, you honored and thanked them but you didn't broadcast it to make them a curiosity or something that people would come and gawk at. The Brownies who aided in your home and made it their's as well were honored and such but you didn't make light of them. That didn't even touch what the difference was between women and men and how honoring's were done. Saw my grand-mother, mother and sisters leave threads out with bright colors and you'd get told don't worry about it. Yet as a male leather, animal parts like antlers, tobacco or some such thing would be dropped at the door, boundary places, etc. You didn't see it and when you did you didn't mention it but you might remember to drop your own.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
    X