Lets talk about (tarot) decks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk about (tarot) decks...

I honestly had a lot of skepticism when it came to people saying that tarot decks had personality, but after doing a bunch of readings with my deck, I'm really starting to see it. And my deck is NOT NICE haha. It does not suffer fools gladly, and sometimes even basically tells me and others "I'm not going to answer that stupid question. Think about THIS instead.".
    Well, okay, that doesn't make it mean I suppose. Just really brutally honest. And sassy. I can feel it rolling its eyes sometimes.

So, friends, tell me about your favorite decks personality! I think it'd be neat to hear about.

Re: Tell me about your favorite decks personality.

I'm currently using the Shadowscapes Tarot Deck by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law. This deck seems to be very sensitive. Even my readings that have a more harsh outcome, the cards somehow do it in a nice way with such grace. I think that's why I connect to it so well, and it has practically become my best friend. I notice that my readings tend to really put EVERYTHING into perspective for those I'm doing the reading for.

I've had my roommate tell me on more than one occasion after a reading, "Well, you told me what I kind of already know, but somehow I feel better about it now."

This deck is rather soothing and gentle. Almost places a calm over those I'm reading for, as well as for myself, even when the outcome isn't what you're necessarily hoping to find.

Comment

What Tarot deck(s) do you have?

I currently only have one deck, which is the Gilded Tarot. I think it is great for beginners, it's a R. Waite based deck, and the images are beautiful and quite easy to interpret. The book that comes with it is well written too, also great for beginners. I hope to get a cat tarot deck at some stage, perhaps the tarot of Pagan Cats, but I am not quite sure yet. Once I think I'm good enough at readings, I'd like to get a deck with slightly different structure to R. Waite decks. Ciro Marchetti has done some really amazing artwork for decks, I would love to get the Legacy of the Divine and the Tarot of Dreams.

Comment

Re: What Tarot deck(s) do you have?

I have the Guilded Tarot also, I just got them a few days ago. I'm just learning about tarot and runes. The Guilded Tarot package (cards and book) caught my eye, more than the others. they really are beautiful. I like the book too. the author writes in a very friendly and down-to-earth way.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I started with the classic Rider, which I've had for years. I ordered the Deviant Moon tarot and it came in a few weeks ago. I'm really enjoying using it and I always get comments from people about them being beautiful and terrifying. I also bought a king Arthur themed deck, but as a gift.
          Circe

Comment

Did an online search Corvus,and indeed the artwork is beautiful and I find the style very interesting.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I actually have only one tarot deck, it's the Vertigo Tarot illustrations by Dave McKean, text by Rachel Pollack it's pretty interesting, but I've noticed everything is dark or at least darker than my oracle cards that I use to pray to the Goddess.

Comment

Mine's the "Tarot of the Old Path" by Sylvia Gainsford.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Circle of Life tarot. So lovely.

Comment

I have four decks at the moment, and I like to ask the same question of them all - it's interesting to see that usually they confirm one another's answers. My two favourites are the Steampunk Tarot, illustrated by Ally Fell, and the Fairies' Oracle illustrated by Brian Froud. Then I have the Heart of Faerle Oracle, also illustrated by Brian Froud, and the Green Man Tree Oracle, which has a lot fewer cards, so I only ever draw three at a time from this pack (also the cards are too big to shuffle easily).

Comment

My mum has a deck that has really big cards in it, they are wayy too big, you need to put them on the ground and move them around in circles to shuffle them.

Comment

I have the Rider-Waite. I'd forget about anything fancier after a few weeks, and a deck is the cost of a couple cups of coffee, probably.

Comment

When I'm in a more ritual state of mind and my focus is too heightened for me to do much more than coast along, my Viking tarot deck is the one I find myself reaching for -- it tends to act as my formal deck, and I've never managed to tap into it smoothly for a reading for anyone else, if that makes any sense. Most of the time I cycle back to my Ator deck which really does connect to a lot of my personality -- it's my practice deck, and the one that ALWAYS comes out when I'm working with or for anyone other than myself.

For me, it's kind of a difference between a midnight mass and a potluck.

Comment

I have four decks, but I only ever regularly use my first one; the Inner Child deck.

It has fun, colorful artwork depicting fairy tales and mythical creatures as its theme; like being inside a child's mind. I have a strong connection to this deck both because it was a present from my mother when I was younger and because it was the deck I first learned on. The book that came with it is hardbbound and very informative. I've also found that I get my most accurate readings when I use this deck.

My second favorite deck is the Universal Fantasy Tarot just because the artwork is so beautiful! The booklet that comes with it though is very short and not very helpful so this wouldn't be a good deck for a beginner. It's a bit darker and more adult rated than my Inner Child deck, but it still has a very whimsical feel to it. I mostly like to just pull this one out to admire the pretty pictures

My other two decks don't really do much for me; one is some kind of Arthurian/Celtic based deck that I got as a present and the other is a dragon based one that I found really cheap at a discount/outlet type bookstore.

Maybe someday I'll actually get the traditional Universal Waite tarot cards

Comment

Originally posted by Abbeon View Post
                              I currently only have one deck, which is the Gilded Tarot. I think it is great for beginners, it's a R. Waite based deck, and the images are beautiful and quite easy to interpret. The book that comes with it is well written too, also great for beginners. I hope to get a cat tarot deck at some stage, perhaps the tarot of Pagan Cats, but I am not quite sure yet. Once I think I'm good enough at readings, I'd like to get a deck with slightly different structure to R. Waite decks. Ciro Marchetti has done some really amazing artwork for decks, I would love to get the Legacy of the Divine and the Tarot of Dreams.
                              I generally recommend that people begin with Rider-Waite-based decks if they're wanting to learn more than one deck. It isn't what I did, though. I started with the Shapeshifter Tarot, which is rooted in Celtic shamanism and has lots of animal imagery. I love it and still read using it, but it would have been easier to start with a R-W-based deck because the Shapeshifter is 81 cards with some of the common meanings being different across decks (for instance, Choice replaces The Devil and all the "kings" are female). I'm also familiar with a Renaissance deck that's very R-W in feel and pretty familiar with a Goddess deck that's R-W-ish. I had a beautiful deck with Native American imagery for a while, but one of my guides called me to give it to a friend who would understand the minute imagery better (my background is more European and near-European-based).
                              OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                              The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                              Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Working...
                              X