Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about (tarot) decks...

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Pantheistic Paganism

Re: What Tarot deck(s) do you have?

My mum has a deck that has really big cards in it, they are wayy too big, you need to put them on the ground and move them around in circles to shuffle them.

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic

I have the Rider-Waite. I'd forget about anything fancier after a few weeks, and a deck is the cost of a couple cups of coffee, probably.

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Hellenic Heathen

When I'm in a more ritual state of mind and my focus is too heightened for me to do much more than coast along, my Viking tarot deck is the one I find myself reaching for -- it tends to act as my formal deck, and I've never managed to tap into it smoothly for a reading for anyone else, if that makes any sense. Most of the time I cycle back to my Ator deck which really does connect to a lot of my personality -- it's my practice deck, and the one that ALWAYS comes out when I'm working with or for anyone other than myself.

For me, it's kind of a difference between a midnight mass and a potluck.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I have four decks, but I only ever regularly use my first one; the Inner Child deck.

It has fun, colorful artwork depicting fairy tales and mythical creatures as its theme; like being inside a child's mind. I have a strong connection to this deck both because it was a present from my mother when I was younger and because it was the deck I first learned on. The book that came with it is hardbbound and very informative. I've also found that I get my most accurate readings when I use this deck.

My second favorite deck is the Universal Fantasy Tarot just because the artwork is so beautiful! The booklet that comes with it though is very short and not very helpful so this wouldn't be a good deck for a beginner. It's a bit darker and more adult rated than my Inner Child deck, but it still has a very whimsical feel to it. I mostly like to just pull this one out to admire the pretty pictures

My other two decks don't really do much for me; one is some kind of Arthurian/Celtic based deck that I got as a present and the other is a dragon based one that I found really cheap at a discount/outlet type bookstore.

Maybe someday I'll actually get the traditional Universal Waite tarot cards

Jun 2013
    Religion
    eclectic neo-pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeon View Post
    I currently only have one deck, which is the Gilded Tarot. I think it is great for beginners, it's a R. Waite based deck, and the images are beautiful and quite easy to interpret. The book that comes with it is well written too, also great for beginners. I hope to get a cat tarot deck at some stage, perhaps the tarot of Pagan Cats, but I am not quite sure yet. Once I think I'm good enough at readings, I'd like to get a deck with slightly different structure to R. Waite decks. Ciro Marchetti has done some really amazing artwork for decks, I would love to get the Legacy of the Divine and the Tarot of Dreams.
    I generally recommend that people begin with Rider-Waite-based decks if they're wanting to learn more than one deck. It isn't what I did, though. I started with the Shapeshifter Tarot, which is rooted in Celtic shamanism and has lots of animal imagery. I love it and still read using it, but it would have been easier to start with a R-W-based deck because the Shapeshifter is 81 cards with some of the common meanings being different across decks (for instance, Choice replaces The Devil and all the "kings" are female). I'm also familiar with a Renaissance deck that's very R-W in feel and pretty familiar with a Goddess deck that's R-W-ish. I had a beautiful deck with Native American imagery for a while, but one of my guides called me to give it to a friend who would understand the minute imagery better (my background is more European and near-European-based).
    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Re: Tell me about your favorite decks personality.

I love the Cloisters, as all time favorite which really speaks to me.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Mine is the Angel Blessings deck. It's a bit fluffy, as the name and site implies, but I've never gotten such clear or strong readings from any other deck.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Actually i found Cloisters around 15 years ago when i was searching for another deck.

Aug 2014
    Religion
    Practical Skeptic & Practicing Witch
    Phrase
    Drama-free Zone

I have a few decks...

Dragon Tarot: my most used and favorite by far. I found it at a garage sale and it just...clicked. A lot of people have issues with this deck and I really am not sure why. It's always felt receptive and like an old friend to me. But it is honest, brutally so. I've spent actual time learning and become familiar with this deck, so it's the one I am most comfortable with. Like an old friend.

Animal Medicine Cards: my least used, since they tend to give me attitude. Think stubborn mule.

Dragon Age Tarot: based off the game of the same name, but such beautiful art, and surprisingly functional! It feels more veiled than I'm used to; no bluntness, more gentle. It takes a certain mood, but when we click, it works beautifully.

Dec 2014
    Religion
    Christian | Solitary Traditional Witch
    Phrase
    Nemophilist

My most used deck is my 1920s Teuila fortune telling cards. I've owned them since my teens and all I can say, it's as snarky as an olde gran! I've had it become quite irritable during client readings, but it's honesty is honourable.