This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you help me?

Hello everybody! I posted a small post about myself in the intro forum but I would like to share my experience with you and maybe find friend with whom walk in the path of the Aesir.
    I was born into a Catholic family and raised as a Catholic but I have been always very disapproving towards the Catholicism and I started developing my own vision about religion and spirituality quite early.
    I started having my first paranormal experiences when I was 13 following the death of a dear one (as if that specific happening had unlocked a door). By the age of 18 I was already reading Tarots and few years after I also started drawing astrological charts. Still a few years and I felt irresistibly drawn to the Runes. I already had a strong connection to Scandinavia which I visited at age 16 finding out that Scandinavian languages were oddly familiar.
    I felt a resurgence of Christian faith but it lasted really short because deep inside myself I was aware that that wasn't my real path. Anyway, I also felt a very strong interest in Lucifer to whom I owe my present situation. He helped me shred all the Christian constrictions and see beyond the Christian narrow boundaries.
    Although I hold Lucifer in high respect, I knew that He wasn't my destination, my path so, after a lot of years, I finally got the call from the Aesir. It's pretty hard to describe how it happened, it's been something coming out from my heart, a voice calling from deep in my soul.
    Loki has been the first to call, he demanded a special gift that will be completed over the time: a book including Runes, prayers and magic entirely made by hand, rich in illumination and drawings. It will take me a long time to finish but it doesn't matter as long as it pleases the Aesir.
    Thor and Njord came afterwards and together with Loki, they now form the Triad I worship on my small, simple altar.
    Loki, Thor and Njord also demanded that most of the items on my altars be made by myself (where possible) so I made a tile where to put the offers, an incense holder, a candle holder and I am going to embroider a special altar cloth.
    For very long time I tried to find reliable sources about Norse Spirituality, Gods and Religion but I was never lucky because serious stuff seems to be very well hidden on the Net.
    After setting up my altar and beginning my worship routine, I bumped into a trove of ebooks.

The last of the signs I've got is a Rune...
    Long time ago I modeled a set of Rune charms out of clay, then I stored them in a box. Few days ago, while rummaging in my shoulder bag, I found one of those Runes and I have no idea of how it landed there as all the Runes are securely stored in that box.
    The rune is Sowilo, any of you know how to related it to my newly found path?

So this is a short version of my long path to the Aesir. Now I am here, I hope my walk along this path won't be on my own. I hope to find other fellow worshippers to exchange information and experiences!

Re: Would you help me?

Well, Sowilo is a good sign that you are on the right path. It is the rune of success, hope, and guidance. So go with it, keep doing what you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Amethist View Post
      Loki has been the first to call, he demanded a special gift...

Loki, Thor and Njord also demanded...

I am sorry but that is not how the gifting cycle operates

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
        I am sorry but that is not how the gifting cycle operates
        What do you mean by this? If he was directly directed to do this by Loki...

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
          I can't speak to as what he means specifically, but I can relate two observations of mine: There seems to be a lot of contention among the various types of Heathen and Norse and/or Germanic Pagans (even beyond the recon or not divide, and even the polytheist or not divinde) over Loki (seriously, google "heathen loki debate" for hours of amusement). Also, there's just as much debate over stuff like how to worship the gods, whether or not the gods enter into reciprocal relationships with their followers, or which gods to worship, etc within specific communities (Including the communities that worship the Norse gods) as there is in Paganism as a whole.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post

What "I mean" is simple, heathenry is a do ut des relationship (I give that you may give), WE go to the gods, we ask for things, we sacrifice, we hopefully get. The "so and so told me..." no, just no. I do not care who it is you were not "told by so and so" to "give them anything", that is not how it works, especially in heathenry not to mention we have enough evidence indicating the gods...if and when they did speak to people...were people of great renown or Kings, they did not speak to Joe Everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Also, there's just as much debate over stuff like how to worship the gods, whether or not the gods enter into reciprocal relationships with their followers, or which gods to worship, etc within specific communities (Including the communities that worship the Norse gods) as there is in Paganism as a whole.
            There is plenty of evidence both literary and archeological as to what was done, all one has to do is read it, it seems the "debate" is by those who want to instead do whatever feels right as opposed to actually doing something that was actually once performed or worse still actually having to do the research to find it.

Comment

Times change, traditions do too. Gods maybe change as well. Maybe sometimes people feel a tradition needs to change. Maybe Gods want tradition to evolve and change as well.

Maybe he's not a Joe Everyday. Maybe Gods now speak to everyday people.

Comment

First of all, welcome to PF--we encourage new members to post an introduction!

With that being said...

Originally posted by GaryG. View Post

There is plenty of evidence both literary and archeological as to what was done, all one has to do is read it, it seems the "debate" is by those who want to instead do whatever feels right as opposed to actually doing something that was actually once performed or worse still actually having to do the research to find it.
                Not everyone puts the same wieght on literary or archeological evidence in what is or is not meaningful in their religious beliefs and practices. The debate is based on the assumption that just because someone chooses to use UPG, that they've not done any research. While often the case, its just as often NOT the case. Making that assumption around here too often will get you (figuratively) jumped--a good number of our established members that follow a syncretic, ecclectic, or modern constructued path have done a great deal of research (some of them, have at one point in time, even been recons of various flavors) and either incorporated it or (for various and sundry reasons) rejected it as not consequential for their own practices.

Over the years, we've gone round and round and round on this forum on the "what is a Heathen" question, and we are so over it (same with the Which Witch is Which, the Druidry vs Druidism, and the Great Wiccan Debate, just to name a few)...so, regardless of what your personal opinion might be, at least on this forum, not every Heathen is a reconstructionist--or for that matter, gives historical context the same weight when it comes to modern worship. If you look at the description for this section, it states "Discussion of Norse and Germanic religions, deities, history and mythology, as well as (but not limited to) recon." To assume that every person that posts here is a reconstructionist isn't very productive. Additionally, the OP, in their initial introduction post, says that they are new to this...so so say "sorry you are doing it wrong" without an explaination of *why* or even a "from my perspective, as a recon (or whatever), I think that your experience isn't in keeping with lore..." is less than helpful.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

First of all, welcome to PF--we encourage new members to post an introduction!
                  not new, I am the same person already responding in this thread, it logged me out and would not allow me back in saying the password was wrong and my email not recognized so I just made a new account.

Not everyone puts the same wieght on literary or archeological evidence in what is or is not meaningful in their religious beliefs and practices.
                  obviously

The debate is based on the assumption that just because someone chooses to use UPG, that they've not done any research. While often the case, its just as often NOT the case. Making that assumption around here too often will get you (figuratively) jumped--a good number of our established members that follow a syncretic, ecclectic, or modern constructued path have done a great deal of research (some of them, have at one point in time, even been recons of various flavors) and either incorporated it or (for various and sundry reasons) rejected it as not consequential for their own practices.

Over the years, we've gone round and round and round on this forum on the "what is a Heathen" question, and we are so over it (same with the Which Witch is Which, the Druidry vs Druidism, and the Great Wiccan Debate, just to name a few)...so, regardless of what your personal opinion might be, at least on this forum, not every Heathen is a reconstructionist--or for that matter, gives historical context the same weight when it comes to modern worship. If you look at the description for this section, it states "Discussion of Norse and Germanic religions, deities, history and mythology, as well as (but not limited to) recon." To assume that every person that posts here is a reconstructionist isn't very productive. Additionally, the OP, in their initial introduction post, says that they are new to this...so so say "sorry you are doing it wrong" without an explaination of *why* or even a "from my perspective, as a recon (or whatever), I think that your experience isn't in keeping with lore..." is less than helpful.

seems people are more concerned with validation than education.

Additionally, the OP, in their initial introduction post, says that they are new to this.
                  I am aware of that, I am also aware they said...

For very long time I tried to find reliable sources about Norse Spirituality, Gods and Religion but I was never lucky because serious stuff seems to be very well hidden on the Net.
                  The internet is how old now? There is no reason anywhere that this information cannot be found unless you are seeking information only accessible through things like JSTOR, a simple 15 minute search will yield enough material to keep you reading for months.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood you, but you seemed to put education as a way of validation.

Personal experience can be educative too! :P

Comment

Interestingly, one of the most commonly accepted roles of Loki is that as the "trickster", putting him into the same category of gods as Anansi, Coyote, Raven, Gwydion, and so on and so forth. Each of these deities have been shown to work both for and against his/her fellow gods, as well as his/her worshipers and charges, all with one extremely important purpose.

By going against the status quo, inching (and sometimes leaping) over the fine line, and throwing things into a bit of chaos, those tricksters bring with them a state of creativity, self discovery, and innovation. This leads to learning through experience and to the ability to see outside of the box. Experience is very often the best education that one can receive.

As for validation, that is something that we all seek, whether we realize it or not. It can come to us in the form of getting that job, or being given that diploma, or getting your kicks by telling someone else that they're wrong ... or looking into the meaning of that rune that they happened to find.

He alone is aware who has wandered wide,
                      And far abroad has fared,
                      How great a mind is guided by him
                      That wealth of wisdom has.

Stick with it, Amethist! Go with what you feel and what you know, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                        Interestingly, one of the most commonly accepted roles of Loki is that as the "trickster", putting him into the same category of gods as Anansi, Coyote, Raven, Gwydion, and so on and so forth. Each of these deities have been shown to work both for and against his/her fellow gods, as well as his/her worshipers and charges, all with one extremely important purpose.

By going against the status quo, inching (and sometimes leaping) over the fine line, and throwing things into a bit of chaos, those tricksters bring with them a state of creativity, self discovery, and innovation. This leads to learning through experience and to the ability to see outside of the box. Experience is very often the best education that one can receive.

As for validation, that is something that we all seek, whether we realize it or not. It can come to us in the form of getting that job, or being given that diploma, or getting your kicks by telling someone else that they're wrong ... or looking into the meaning of that rune that they happened to find.

He alone is aware who has wandered wide,
                        And far abroad has fared,
                        How great a mind is guided by him
                        That wealth of wisdom has.

Stick with it, Amethist! Go with what you feel and what you know, and good luck.

Only thing worse than cultural appropriation is cultural ignorance, and you are taking the literary evidence as for what is tells instead of what it taught, not uncommon.

And can we please stop with the "Loki is a trickster deity" already, if anyone was the trickster it would have been Odin.

Comment

not new, I am the same person already responding in this thread, it logged me out and would not allow me back in saying the password was wrong and my email not recognized so I just made a new account.
                          It didn't recognize your email because it isn't the same. Close but different. The traditional and preferred answer to this is to send an e-mail to site support. However, I'm gonna leave this part for admins unless given reason not to.

The internet is how old now? There is no reason anywhere that this information cannot be found unless you are seeking information only accessible through things like JSTOR, a simple 15 minute search will yield enough material to keep you reading for months.
                          A significant portion of the population doesn't really know how to do research. Without a decent grounding in research or a secure base knowledge to work from, the existence of the internet is not a spectacularly reliable guide. If you try not to judge people based on what you think they should know then I'll try not to judge you based on what I think you should know. I am perfectly okay with passing judgement based on what I think you should know if this does not appear to be a fair deal.

Other than that, I'll leave this to those with a better grounding in Heathenry.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            It didn't recognize your email because it isn't the same. Close but different. The traditional and preferred answer to this is to send an e-mail to site support. However, I'm gonna leave this part for admins unless given reason not to.
                            good for you.

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            A significant portion of the population doesn't really know how to do research. Without a decent grounding in research or a secure base knowledge to work from, the existence of the internet is not a spectacularly reliable guide. If you try not to judge people based on what you think they should know then I'll try not to judge you based on what I think you should know. I am perfectly okay with passing judgement based on what I think you should know if this does not appear to be a fair deal.

Other than that, I'll leave this to those with a better grounding in Heathenry.

There is enough information out there that ignorance is no excuse, and I guess it's a good thing then that I couldn't care less what you think I should know, and you're right, you should leave this to those better grounded in heathenry.

Comment

good for you.

There is enough information out there that ignorance is no excuse, and I guess it's a good thing then that I couldn't care less what you think I should know, and you're right, you should leave this to those better grounded in heathenry.
                              Just as an FYI, this is a poor way to introduce yourself to our forum. Please consider using more decorum with your next response.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X