Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting and praying for salvation from Ebola?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fasting and praying for salvation from Ebola?

My personal motto (taken from an old UU campaign): When in prayer, act. When in doubt, pray.

...but there's a caveat to that....

If you are standing on one side of a river and need to get to the other, a raft won't make itself from the tree while you pray.

The problem is (in Africa, as it is in the US...though much, much worse in Africa), a lack of education, particularly science education (which should properly include an understanding of how the human body actually works).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I read librarians, then libertarians..the finally my brain sorted it out...

My understanding, and personal experience with prayer, fasting etc is that it makes me more aware and more open. It reduces fear and increases hope...so things that I ignored, ran from etc lose their power over me. I become willing to try things I wouldn't have before, etc.

So, if prayer and fasting have that effect on the Liberians, and it helps them become more cooperative, more willing to help nurse the ill, because they are less fearful, etc...then it's a good thing.

If prayer leads them to say "Ok, cross that off my agenda" and use it as a reason to no seek real assistance etc then it's a bad thing.

I am not familiar with the culture of Liberia, so I have no way of knowing which way it's likely to go. But from the folks in my own life, prayer tends to open them up to deal with the issue head on by reducing fear and increasing hope and fortitude.

Comment

Well, I guess all the praying and fasting payed off as according to the news, the US is now ebola free.

Comment

Nothing in The U.S. is free......not even its people...but that is just my personal view,yours may vary.

The technology is our owner...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            Well, I guess all the praying and fasting payed off as according to the news, the US is now ebola free.
            Yay. We saved a lot of money that would have been wasted on medicine and junk like that. Let's close down the hospitals, the shelters for battered women. the food kitchens for the homeless, get rid of food stamps, and build more churches instead.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/85/85bliar.phtmlThats the Ticket......(remember where you heard that before?)
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X