Milk now bad for you??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milk now bad for you??

Woolworths used to be around a lot,soda fountains were inside them along with diners. Safeways here are food stores,and not as far as I know ever connected to woolworths.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems your Woolworths is not related to our F.W. Woolworths that were concidered a 5 and dime here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwor...ted_businesses

Interesting indeed

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting again is the Safeway connection....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_%28Australia%29

As said not exactly the same as a safeway here in the States.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The German one is the same company, though. I just looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Woolworth_Company

Also:

"Woolworth Canada was the Canadian unit of F.W. Woolworth founded in the 1920s and based in North York, Ontario.[12] In addition to the Woolworth stores, other banners of Woolworth Canada included Woolco, The Bargain! Shop, Kinney, Foot Locker, Northern Reflections, Northern Getaway, Northern Traditions, Silk & Satin and Randy River.[13] The division continued to be called Woolworth Canada even after the last stores under the Woolworth nameplate disappeared from Canada in 1994. Woolworth Canada was eventually renamed Venator Group Canada in 1998 and finally Foot Locker Canada in 2001."

I remember most of these stores. I also remember Woolworth and when it closed in 1994

Comment

Yeah see our Woolworths is thr big supermarket, groceries, tinned food, basic homegoods etc. In Australia we have the issue that Woolworths/Safeway and Coles have like 95% of the grocery market share etc. They both have the equivalent department cheapo store (big w and kmart) which sells clothes, books, electronics, sports goods, toys etc. With one of each in your town you dont need anything else. They both also own petrol stations as well, and I know coles is linked to myers which is the big nice department store.

I kinda always thought of woolies/coles being like walmart...
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I don't mind how things are here. Now that I've been away for 9 years, I consider the variety in Canadian supermarkets really, really wasteful. Like, they have a ton of different kinds of vegetables, but people can't possibly buy that much produce and they have to throw a lot of it away.
          They don't throw all of it away. A lot of 'expired' produce ends up in the grocery store delis & bakeries. And some stores, like a local chain we have here called Smiths, have discount outlets (Smiths' is Food-4-Less) where the unsold stuff ends up at lower prices.

Some stuff, like ice cream, goes back to the producer. Who then 'reunifies' it with new stock.

Yup, refurbished ice cream. Yum.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
            They don't throw all of it away. A lot of 'expired' produce ends up in the grocery store delis & bakeries. And some stores, like a local chain we have here called Smiths, have discount outlets (Smiths' is Food-4-Less) where the unsold stuff ends up at lower prices.

Some stuff, like ice cream, goes back to the producer. Who then 'reunifies' it with new stock.

Yup, refurbished ice cream. Yum.
            They throw out loads of stuff. The do find ways to reuse a chunk and a lot of supermarkets donate a lot of food they can't sell, but the extent of waste is still pretty huge. Heck, it's even pretty big here where more stuff tends to make it off the shelves in the first place. At the end of the day, though, the wastage is a lot lower when there isn't a ton of stuff on the shelves and produce aisles that people just aren't going to buy. That's practically half of Aldi's entire business model (and it works in the US too...you guys have Aldi over there!)

Comment

They throw out loads of stuff. The do find ways to reuse a chunk and a lot of supermarkets donate a lot of food they can't sell, but the extent of waste is still pretty huge. Heck, it's even pretty big here where more stuff tends to make it off the shelves in the first place. At the end of the day, though, the wastage is a lot lower when there isn't a ton of stuff on the shelves and produce aisles that people just aren't going to buy. That's practically half of Aldi's entire business model (and it works in the US too...you guys have Aldi over there!)
              All I'm getting at (because this is waaay off the milk thing by now) is that you'd be surprised how much actually doesn't get thrown away at a lot of grocery stores. People get freaked out about 'reused' or 'reunified' foods, but unsold dairy gets returned to producers, produce & meats go to processed food manufacturers, fruit goes to juicers. And sometimes stuff just gets relabeled with a new expiration date. It gets done, but when it hits the media, people freak out so of course grocery stores aren't going to advertise their true recycling figures. Kind of like when Olive Garden got the whistle blown on re-served bread sticks. Everyone freaked out, Olive Garden lost tons of business... but people had been eating re-served breadsticks for years w/no ill effects. If Olive Garden's doing it, other places are, too.

The current estimate is that 40% of food goes to waste here in the US - but that's not all grocery stores. That's individual consumers, institutions (schools, prisons, hospitals, etc.), restaurants, retailers AND farmers. Here in Vegas, and in a lot of major cities, food service & grocery store places are discouraged from throwing away food because of attracting vermin & homeless people. It creates methane when it ends up in the landfills because of the anaerobic environment. Sooo, we've got a couple of farms that raise hogs that collect food waste from the hotels, restaurants & stores for pig feed, a company or two that collects food waste for composting, and numerous food banks also collect non-perishables.

Comment

Milk tastes funny... I only drink it in tea and hot chocolate. Cheese, however, is fantastic and I don't give up foods because someone tells me it's bad for me. Every month I hear a new thing about how some food we've all been eating for millennia is suddenly bad for the human digestive tract. I don't buy it for a second. Often, those claims are refuted anyway.

For example. Alcohol may kill your liver, but that doesn't mean it isn't medicine. It's even been shown to lower blood pressure and stress levels, if used in moderation.

Everything in moderation... More or less.

Comment

All I'm getting at (because this is waaay off the milk thing by now) is that you'd be surprised how much actually doesn't get thrown away at a lot of grocery stores. People get freaked out about 'reused' or 'reunified' foods, but unsold dairy gets returned to producers, produce & meats go to processed food manufacturers, fruit goes to juicers. And sometimes stuff just gets relabeled with a new expiration date. It gets done, but when it hits the media, people freak out so of course grocery stores aren't going to advertise their true recycling figures. Kind of like when Olive Garden got the whistle blown on re-served bread sticks. Everyone freaked out, Olive Garden lost tons of business... but people had been eating re-served breadsticks for years w/no ill effects. If Olive Garden's doing it, other places are, too.

The current estimate is that 40% of food goes to waste here in the US - but that's not all grocery stores. That's individual consumers, institutions (schools, prisons, hospitals, etc.), restaurants, retailers AND farmers. Here in Vegas, and in a lot of major cities, food service & grocery store places are discouraged from throwing away food because of attracting vermin & homeless people. It creates methane when it ends up in the landfills because of the anaerobic environment. Sooo, we've got a couple of farms that raise hogs that collect food waste from the hotels, restaurants & stores for pig feed, a company or two that collects food waste for composting, and numerous food banks also collect non-perishables.
                  Don't get me wrong...I know all of that. And I know that a good chunk of waste is on the customer end. People throw out a lot of stuff. So do restaurants. Over here, we have compost collection for all homes and businesses (it's part of the city's waste management) and they use it for biofuel, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better to not waste the food in the first place. Collecting all that waste involves fuel and resources too.

The other thing I was getting at was that unused food (maybe "waste" is a poor word choice) is expensive on the customer end. When a restaurant buys a bunch of produce that doesn't sell, that costs them money (and manufacturers collecting it back and juice producers and whatnot don't pay nearly as much for it as customers do). Having all of that variety also takes up a ton of shelf space, which also costs more money. The stores have to make back those profits somehow, so they add those costs into their pricing schemes. That's why stores like Aldi that have more basic displays and carry a more limited supply of basic products cost so much less, and part of how food is so much cheaper in Germany than it is in, say, Canada - though, there are other issues at hand as well, like subsidies and lower wages throughout the supply chain, which is something I do -not- support and would be happy to pay a little bit more to change. Still the smaller selection and smaller stores are part of it.

Anyway, I'm by no means trying to say that everyone should eat dairy or anything like that. If you don't want to, fine...it's your diet. Some people can be perfectly healthy on a vegan or dairy-free diet. Some people are even healthier dairy free. However, some people are not. What I do take issue with is people who say that eating dairy is weird and unnatural and that we shouldn't do it. It's not all that weird - we do all sorts of things that other animals don't do. Animals don't grow food or selectively breed plants, either. Is it weird or unnatural that we do it?

Comment

Speaking of food waste, take a looky-look here:

The Food Waste Fiasco: You Have to See It to Believe it
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yup,who would have thought Americans tossed ANY food,considering the weight and waist issues we Americans have.?

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        Speaking of food waste, take a looky-look here:

The Food Waste Fiasco: You Have to See It to Believe it
                        That line about 'kids in school are too hungry to concentrate on their studies' kills me. I wonder if he dumpster-dove behind any schools.

Tater tots. Tater tots everywhere.

Comment

That line about 'kids in school are too hungry to concentrate on their studies' kills me. I wonder if he dumpster-dove behind any schools.

Tater tots. Tater tots everywhere.
                          Do all schools have lunch programs, though? Do all serve breakfast in the mornings?

I'm just asking, because most schools in Canada don't have lunch programs. Some (mostly high schools) have cafeterias where kids can buy food, but it's sort of just a concession. Most elementary schools don't have them. I know a few teachers, and a few have told me stories about poor kids who came to school without breakfast. Sometimes, it was a matter of the family not being able to afford food, but often, there was also the issue that working single parents had to go to work at their low-wage jobs long before the kids were up and the kids were still too young to feed themselves.

Comment

Do all schools have lunch programs, though? Do all serve breakfast in the mornings?
                            Speaking for Michigan, I can answer "yes" to both.

We also have free and reduced (cost) breakfasts/lunches for those who apply.

Here, where I am, over 50% (I don't have the exact figure handy, but, if I recall correctly, it pushes the 75% mark) of the students receive the free/reduced cost.

It is one of our district's major expenses - the gooberment only reimburses a % of the cost, and, yup, that % gets cut pretty regularly too.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Speaking for Michigan, I can answer "yes" to both.

We also have free and reduced (cost) breakfasts/lunches for those who apply.

Here, where I am, over 50% (I don't have the exact figure handy, but, if I recall correctly, it pushes the 75% mark) of the students receive the free/reduced cost.

It is one of our districts major expenses - the gooberment only reimburses a % of the cost.
                              That's really awesome that that's available

Comment

That's really awesome that that's available
                                Yeah, for now, but you posted before I was done editing...

Comment

Working...
                                X