Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoth Tarot Divinatory Meanings (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoth Tarot Divinatory Meanings (Updated)

Regarding the new Thread

For whatever the reason may be, I am unable to edit the previous post. The last one was posted from my phone, and as such, was unable to retain the look and feel of the post that I have desired. This new thread retains the look that I had originally intended. As the copy and paste feature allows me to paste exactly as it was originally designed.

It was originally my intention to update the thread with new knowledge and notes as I update the actual file from which this was copied.

Upcoming updates are as follows:
    • Complete elaboration on the Dignitaries (which are not at all present in this edition.)
    • Completed Divinatory meanings for each card of the Minor Arcana (in this edition, only the name of the card is provided.)

Foreword

Herein are my own personal notes on the Qabalah and the Tarot. The Tarot, and specifically the Thoth Deck, is an area of magick that has fascinated me since my initial discovery of it. I have been practicing and performing practical readings for both myself and others (always free of charge) for over 5 years now.

Please know this present work has been created for my own reference and advisement of the Divinatory Meanings of the Thoth Tarot Deck; there are no descriptions of the cards themselves and the symbolism therein. For those who are interested in descriptions of the cards themselves please read The Book of Thoth. These notes contain the universal Divinatory meanings of the cards as well as my own personal meanings, delivered unto me from my Astral Senses.

If you are particularly astute you may notice, in many cases the diction employed in the concise explanation of the Divinatory values of the cards is not my own work. In the process of creating a set of notes outlining the Divinatory meanings as such this present work contains many works were reviewed and cross-referenced. In many cases for convenience, however entirely appreciative of the genius of those predecessors who have expounded upon these virtues long before I, I have used their words to the letter. Again, this present work has been created for my own reference It is of no particular importance that I write entirely original notes.

With all that said, please enjoy these notes and I hope they are useful to your endeavours with Divination.

The Tarot

The Cards:

• Trumps = 22 Paths of the Tree of Life. Each path connects one Sephiroth to another. So each Trump card is a connection of those two Sephira. One can determine the nature of the card by examining the two connected Sephira. The Trumps are placed in an ascending order. Starting from 0 'The Fool' to 21 'The Universe.' As the ascension progresses, the cards move from less solidarity & materialistic to more.

Example: The card called "The Lovers", whose secret title is "The Children of the Voice, the Oracle of the Mighty Gods", leads from the number 3 to the number 6. The number 6 is the human personality of a man; the number 3 is his spiritual intuition. Therefore, the card represents the influence of the divine upon the man. Illumination of the mind by the Divine!
    • Minor Arcana = 10 numbers, representing 10 Sephira of the Tree of Life

• The Court Cards = the elements

Wands

• Knight of Wands = Fire of Fire
    • Queen of Wands = Fire of Water
    • Prince of Wands = Fire of Air
    • Princess of Wands = Fire of Earth

Cups

• Knight of Cups = Fire of Fire

• Queen of Cups = Fire of Water
    • Prince of Cups = Fire of Air
    • Princess of Cups = Fire of Earth

Swords

• Knight of Swords = Fire of Fire
    • Queen of Swords = Fire of Water
    • Prince of Swords = Fire of Air
    • Princess of Swords = Fire of Earth

Disks

• Knight of Disks = Fire of Fire
    • Queen of Disks = Fire of Water
    • Prince of Disks = Fire of Air
    • Princess of Disks = Fire of Earth

The Minor Arcana

The four suits represent the elements
    • Wands = Fire (active)
    • Cups = Water (passive)
    • Swords = Air (active)
    • Disks = Earth (passive)

Divination

The Tarot, being a reflection; mirror of the soul of the Operator, it is possible to design ones own spreads and operations.

Divinatory Meanings

The Major Arcana (Trumps)

0. The Fool
    The 'soul before enlightenment', meaning the quester (or the 'initiate') prior to ascending the occult mountain to the final state of gnosis. The Fool is the starting position, point zero.
    The beginning of a journey; in some cases stopping, reevaluating everything, and starting over as a babe.
    1. The Magus

Signifies the magical force or power, that energy which the quester uses to propel him or herself ever-forward on the quest.
    An initiation into power, knowledge, & magick. One has come a long way from being the Fool and is capable. The journey has just begun and the road ahead is still long.
    1. The Priestess

The 'other' energy. A feminine, external force. The holy spirit. The Holy Guardian Angel.
    An outside influence, guardian angel, an intuitive force. A still small voice, whisper in your ear. The Holy Spirit guiding one on their path.
    1. The Empress

A maternal figure, a guiding force, or sometimes literal pregnancy, although often this can be read as pregnant with possibility!
    Pregnant with possibility. Often relating directly to pregnancy. Things are maturing.
    1. The Emperor

Symbolizes the father, but also 'rules and their official enforcers', the civil and social laws to adhere to. It can also mean one who is in control of physical affairs.
    The Emperor is in control of his world in a physical way. Not the same control as an Adept would have over himself and the world. Often means financial prosperity.
    1. The Hierophant

The Ageless Sage, one whose mind transcends time and incarnation.
    The ageless Sage. He transcends the wheel of death and reincarnation, as in his mind he can travel to both the beginning and end of time. He knows all things and thinks as an Adept. He is not yet an Adept but he thinks as one would.
    1. The Lovers

Signifies adolescent maturity. If it is drawn for a question regarding relationships, often it signifies a new relationship, a "puppy love," infatuation, etc. The union of opposites, union of duality.
    A union of things. The Lovers are those who are in that union. Can be a sexual union, an emotional union, union of Microcosm and Macrocosm. Often there is an immaturity. Struggling for the union and the ecstasy therein. The spiritual maturity to simply allow the union to be is not yet present.
    1. The Chariot

Movement. This can be movement of the situation, or literal movement, as in relocation, or translocation.
    Motion. Moving from realm of developing into maturation. Sometimes signifies physical motion.
    1. Adjustment

The balancing of attachment, or of circumstances. This can sometimes pertain to legal affairs.
    Balancing of scales; karma. To move from the lesser realm into Adepthood, karma must be balanced; a balancing of attachment. Transcendence of the physical state requires letting go of attachment to it. This process is the anti-transmigration of the soul.
    1. The Hermit

Signifies a retreat inside oneself, a stage of soul searching, or sometimes as a Dark Night of the Soul.
    To reach complete balance of attachment it is often necessary to withdraw as the Hermit. Once karmic balance is reached it is often the case that one will desire not to partake in social situations. The Hermit can also indicate the necessity of doing some soul-searching, especially in practical readings, signalling the need to stop and reflect upon a situation.
    1. Fortune

Shows the seemingly random nature of events, but also that they are not random at all, but are running along a perpetual wheel. Often when this card is drawn, it tells us that the querent feels out of control of their circumstances, or that good things are about to befall them.
    You have developed the momentum up to this point; the wheel begins to spin on its own. Where it will stop is unknown. Can indicate financial/monetary prosperity. Usually indicates a situation has moved beyond your control, and you are the one who set it in motion.
    1. Lust

Strength, vigor, and passion, whether sexual or not.
    Crowley recognized the value, potency, and strength in lust. Being devoid of attachment, you can act only on pure passion and desire, not desire borne from fear (the root of attachment itself) but from desire itself. This is where lust becomes strength.
    1. The Hanged Man

Exactly that - one who is not able to move in one direction or another, stuck in a situation, unable even to decide which way to move.
    Karma having been balanced and the Hermitage stage passed. You are acting spontaneously upon the universe through the strength of your lust and passion. You find yourself in a state of stagnation, unknowing what then to do with yourself.
    1. Death

Transition. One aspect of the self has died and another is being born.
    Death is the answer to the Hanged Man. The Great Transition, not necessarily the death of the body.
    1. Art

The combination of all of our assets and gifts into one "pot" whereby something beautiful may emerge.
    Overcoming Death means taking all current knowledge and combining it. For the Adept this is the point where he developed a magical system of his own. From this combining comes a masterpiece; that masterpiece is your Higher-Self.
    1. The Devil

Addiction, or bondage of some intense sort. A dark night of the soul.
    Temptation to deviate from the True Will or the established path. Jesus, for example, was never tempted until he had taken to his role of the Saviour. As soon as he set firmly, "I am the Son of God," a familiar spirit tempted him to use his power for selfish ends; deviate from his Dharma. With the Devil we are bound, we are within the chains that bind.
    1. The Tower

The falling down of the previous seemingly solid aspects of our lives, the absolute crumbling of our dreams and our expectations.
    The Tower Immediately follows the Devil for good reason. The Tower is the result of allowing the influence represented in the Devil card to wreak unabated havoc; if you remain bound, you will lose everything, it will come falling down around you. This card usually refers to the present tense. Keep in mind, Tower is not always related to addiction.
    1. The Star

The goal, upon which our eyes may fix once our former expectations, often unfitting to our Dharma, may behold.
    The Star is the regaining of your focus. It is the North Star toward which we must sail, or atleast use as a compass.
    1. The Moon

The magickal force in our lives, a nocturnal director. It can also be illusion, or self-delusion.
    Magic, illusion. A nocturnal force. It is the demons and the spirits that we use by magical means to achieve desired ends. In a reading, represents spiritual influences outside the conscious mind. Often the realm of dreams and sleep. It is advised to pay careful attention to your dreams and interpret their meanings if you see this card frequently.
    1. The Sun

Clarity. "The Sun rises after a long and dreadful night, to reveal things as they are."
    The Sun rises and the Darkness flees, your surroundings (circumstances) are now clearly seen. It has been a long, gloomy, dark night, but you cam finally see because the Sun has risen. Can mean the end of the Soul's Dark Night.
    1. The Aeon

Possibly one of the most potent cards in this deck, as it signifies the complete rebirth of the individual, a transfiguration of the self and the life.
    Transfer between one incarnation to another; the card of reincarnation. Reincarnation within the same incarnation. A rebirth. Can represent a magical rebirth, the transition from being a victim of circumstance (average person) to a conscious dictator of reality (the Adept.) The person for whom this card is drawn will often feel as if they are no longer the same person they once were. The 'old self' feels far off, as a dream or past life.
    1. The Universe

Macrocosm, whether personal or universal.
    Finally it all comes together, the Macrocosm. The Aeon has brought you to the Godself, through the Godself you attain mastery of the Universe. It is the attainment of Adepthood.

The Dignitaries/Court Cards (Sub-Elements)

1. The Princess (Earth)

The Princess knows what she wants and is forcing her way, oblivious of all that us around her. She is attempting to coerce the universe in to submission.
    1. The Prince (Air)

The Prince instead of attempting to force the universe in to submission, utilizes the resources available to him. He is less forceful and lacking direction.
    1. The Knight (Fire)

The Knight effortlessly glides swiftly towards his goal. He is single-minded in his goal and swiftly speeds to its fruition.
    1. The Queen (Water)

The Queen sits aloof, knowing her goals will work out as she desires. She is unattached from the outcome and is able to calmly assert her influence.

The Minor Arcana (Elemental)

Wands

1. Ace of Wands
    2. Dominion
    3. Virtue
    4. Completion
    5. Strife
    6. Victory
    7. Valour
    8. Swiftness
    9. Strength
    10. Oppression

Cups

1. Ace of Cups
    2. Love
    3. Abundance
    4. Luxury
    5. Disappointment
    6. Pleasure
    7. Debauch
    8. Indolence
    9. Happiness
    10. Satiety

Swords

1. Ace of Swords
    2. Peace
    3. Sorrow
    4. Truce
    5. Defeat
    6. Science
    7. Futility
    8. Interference
    9. Cruelty
    10. Ruin

Disks

1. Ace of Disks
    2. Change
    3. Works
    4. Power
    5. Worry
    6. Success
    7. Failure
    8. Prudence
    9. Gain
    10. Wealth
    Last edited by Night Wizard; 10 Nov 2014, 17:17. Reason: Updates

Re: Thoth Tarot Divinatory Meanings (Updated)

Thread updates for non-staff members are restricted. You have 5 minutes to conduct a normal edit. You've got about an hour if nobody else posts to cheat the system by making a second post. Auto-merge will kick in to merge the two posts and you'll get a 5 minute window to edit the entire thing. Any and all other post edits will require staff assistance.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
    X