Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: What is your function within the human family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion: What is your function within the human family.

Though a simple question,it may involve a great deal of soul searching...Are you a person who only is concerned with your quality of life? Are you a person of compassion,where you find concern for the less fortunate. Where in the family do you fit,or perhaps you feel as some do,you don't fit anywhere.

Open the thoughts and consider,this is not a contest,or a place to place any judgement..It is perhaps a contemplation of what it means to be truly human.

Begin,but remember this is not "I know you are,but what am I" territory... Please keep it civil,and try and be nice to your fellow humans..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Discussion: What is your function within the human family.

Am I a person who only is concerned with my quality of life? Not only. Though this is 60% of me.
    Am I a person of compassion, where I find concern for the less fortunate? Yes. I find concern for small things as well, like giving food (if I have) to a classmate that didn't bring dinner, for instance.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I think it's totally possible to be someone who is both concerned with their own welfare and the welfare of others. But you could be asking if we have more individualistic or collectivist tendencies, so....

-If you mean the first one, then both. At the moment, I'm highly focused on my own welfare, because I'm just barely getting by. I -think- a lot about social welfare issues, but I don't really have the income to do a lot about it. I give when I can, but that's pretty rare. Still, I count myself lucky that I'm getting by, because there are a lot of people who aren't. I do give my time, though. I have some time. I volunteer at events, go to protests, try to raise awareness about issues I care about, join in on petition campaigns, do writing work for charity organizations, etc.

When my position improves, I'll be more generous with my cash.

If you mean individualistic vs. collectivist, a little bit of both, I guess. I think it's important to have a fair bit of individual freedom and comfort, but not at the expense of everyone else. Like, I wouldn't want to be insanely rich while people were getting shut out of their homes or starving, and I'm totally ok with our strict gun laws because I see very little violent crime in my country (I'd still walk alone at night in the "worst" parts of Berlin).

Comment

I think what I tried to do here is try and understand how you see yourself...You do seem to know how you fit into the whole human mix. I think perhaps I could have worded it a bit better.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Yeah I'm still kind of confused....

Comment

I don't really have a purpose or function in society. I'm a taxpaying office drone. I spend so much time & effort trying to keep the bills paid & us fed that I don't have time or energy to feed the masses. About all I can do is try to live as simply as possible while still being able to have hot water & indoor plumbing.

It's why we're moving to a slightly more rural area. Our new property has a well & septic system, and we're going to put in solar & windmills for power. Try to grow our own produce, that kind of thing. Of course, I'll still have to be an office drone to pay the property taxes, but at least they're lower out where we're moving.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Ok,maybe,are you the "Hero",the "victim",the "heroes" loyal companion(Robin),the witness,the perpetrator,The pawn of fate,the warrior for god, the evil anti-hero...and on and on.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Well. I don't have any living family anymore. So I'm focused on my life 100%. Because it's not like some stranger out there is going to be more focused on my life then theirs. I mean unless you have kids, you should be focused on your life. It's yours. Don't feel guilty for it. Now do I want good tidings for my community and world? Sure. I do my best to not be a douche in the world. Imagine if everyone decided to just not be a douche today. The world would be nice.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Well. I don't have any living family anymore. So I'm focused on my life 100%. Because it's not like some stranger out there is going to be more focused on my life then theirs. I mean unless you have kids, you should be focused on your life. It's yours. Don't feel guilty for it.
                    I don't honestly feel guilty for not trying to take care of other people - I just don't like other people calling me a douche for being self-centered or self-serving :P

Now do I want good tidings for my community and world? Sure. I do my best to not be a douche in the world. Imagine if everyone decided to just not be a douche today. The world would be nice.
                    And boring. Soooo boring. Douchecanoes are full of free entertainment.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[QUOTE=anunitu;163861]Though a simple question,it may involve a great deal of soul searching...Are you a person who only is concerned with your quality of life? Are you a person of compassion,where you find concern for the less fortunate. Where in the family do you fit,or perhaps you feel as some do,you don't fit anywhere.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Ok,maybe,are you the "Hero",the "victim",the "heroes" loyal companion(Robin),the witness,the perpetrator,The pawn of fate,the warrior for god, the evil anti-hero...and on and on.
                      The warrior for god took my attention! I once had a dream I was pulling people out of swamp. I have always identified as someone who wants to help other people live the best life they can. Ever since I was 8 years old, I've wanted to be a social worker. Instead, I've found myself in operational helping roles. I've been a disability support worker, a teacher aide for special ed. schools and primary schools, and now I'm an allied health assistant. I love my work. I get a huge amount of job satisfaction from helping people recover from crisis points in their life. I am living a great life and I want other people to be able to feel that way about their lives, too.

As far as fitting in goes, I've always felt a bit on the outer - like I don't quite fit. I believe that 'fitting in' does not equal being the same as. Fitting in is about having your own unique niche within the whole. I think being able to feel like you belong comes down to self-acceptance. When you value your own opinion of yourself over the opinions of others, then you can confidently take a risk and initiate showing acceptance in daily interactions. Other people are way more worried about themselves fitting in than they are about making room for you. So if you make room for them first, you've found a friend!

When it comes to what I perceive my role to be in the family, I was always a drifter right up until about four years into my marriage. I was accommodating, but I didn't know how to be in a partnership. I had an amazing conversation with someone about two years ago and he began to change my whole point of view on what it means to nurture and live within a family. Setting the atmosphere of the family home is a high calling and severely undervalued. Families are where most people get their initial feeling of safety and belonging. It is the base from which they operate out of. Rather than being preoccupied with contributing to the economy, my main desire is to contribute to the wellbeing of my family. Sure, optimal wellbeing is achieved to some degree through wealth but the focus has to be on the health of the family rather than achieving opulence for the sake of it. In my point of view, wealth is a means to an end, not the end. The whole obsession with personal satisfaction is a bit of a distraction as well. If you gain personal satisfaction but at the cost of deteriorating a relationship, you've eroded one of your most valuable sources of psychological and physical health. We need each other to be present in our relationships. As the article claims, "isolation is fatal." It is a careful balancing act.
                      Last edited by Azvanna; 18 Nov 2014, 02:37.

Comment

It's hard to define it.. I guess, the Piper of Hamelin. Only that I don't look for revenge. Yeah, pretty much this.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I don't really think I'm a warrior, victim, or any of those other roles. I'm more like an artist. I don't really fit in, I use creative outlets to express myself, and I also use those outlets to criticize society. I'm also an activist. If I were in a medieval story, I'd probably be the travelling bard.

Comment

For myself,in my much younger years I was the Libertine,drinking and drugging and partying with no concern for tomorrow. These days I am not sure,perhaps the less concerned consumer of food and drink,and addicted at the moment to media as a time killer. I spend way to much time alone,and my inner dialog spans the range from let them eat cake,to kill them all,and let the Gods sort them out.

In truth,mainly I think about apple sauce...Yummmm. And Ice cream,almost forgot Ice cream..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

What role do I play?

For 23 years I wore the uniform of my countries military. Lived under the constant notion that I could die at any time if someone got stupid. Some days we spent all day playing war games, other days we spent all day serving the less fortunate. Watching the service go from being about individual service and purpose to the nation to being about community oriented and making changes for the whole though we existed for one basic purpose.

I wore the uniform of the fireman / rescue person prior to the military, during the military and after the military. We served the interest of the community. Placing our lives on the line for those in danger, those injured and those whose life expired. Entering the heat of hell as we fought the flames of home and vehicle, struggling against time and the elements to stop things from going worse as one day it's the house fire, another day the entire valley or mountain burning and many homes at stake in the bargain. Other times the first face a person see's as we tried to pry them from the wreck or hold their hands and speak to them as we try to calm them.

I wore the psychological uniform of the school transportation system. The person who got their children to school. The person who tracked them around when they were adrift so some stability remained for their young though the family lay in turmoil. The one who talked to them about special needs and did my best to fight driver, condition and family together. From the age as early as 3 to late as 21 and all of the special conditions that had to be met, coordinated for and schedules. The voice on the other end of the phone or across the desk from them as their concerns, needs (imagined or implied) were meet as best I could.

I was the one who gave my time, money and love for their children on the sports playing field as a coach, in the arena of youth activities as a Boy Scout or Cub Scout Leader and took their children on camping events, outing events, sports events and ended up with responsibility of more children at one time than many can imagine. The one who stayed into the darkness with the lone child whose parents would drop them off and might show back up. The first one to administer relief for scrapped knee's, hurt feelings, home sickness and hundreds of other minor conditions that were the end of the world for the child experiencing them at the moment.

While doing all of that worked full time, earned my Bachelors Degree, started a second Bachelors when I couldn't work on my Masters, raised my own family, qualified and certified and re-certified in a number of requirements such as CPR (Adult and Infant), First Aide, Food Handler's safety courses, collateral duties associated with each stage to maintain certifications and qualifications unique to those jobs or additional duties. Spending nearly every day of my life as an instructor, facilitator, educator, teacher or combination of them formally or informally.

Though my body is now broken in many ways and limits what I can do I still find many of those things still lay at my table. I am older and grumpier and less likely to hold my tongue when I see or hear bs. But if needed I commit to the need and do what has to be done. In truth don't have much tolerance for those who claim they have neither the time, money or patience to do things.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X