Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More men seeking help over domestic abuse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More men seeking help over domestic abuse.

In 2012/2013 over 60,000 incidents of domestic abuse were reported to the police in Scotland. The proportion of incidents with a male victim has steadily increased over the past decade from 10% in 2003/04 to 18% in 2012/13.
    The fact they are increasing in number does offer some relief, as it may indicate that men are becoming more comfortable with discussing and recognising the topic. That being said, it could also mean that men are experiencing increased instances of domestic abuse. I lack the evidence or research to state which, but I do hope it to be the former. I do know that men tend to have a stereotypical aspect about reporting such things, or about weakness and admitting that they are being abused, and that this has hindered many men in terms of reporting said abuses. If the lack of reporting is anything like what it could be, then this could be something which actually proves to be properly common amongst the population, and perhaps (I fear) as common as women are abused by men.

Do you think that perhaps this is a much more widespread issue than it seems, and that social stereotypes and expectations of men are keeping them from coming forward about the abuse? I think this is especially likely because, to quote from the report, over a third (36%) of the abuse victims had contacted An Garda Siochana (the Republic of Ireland's police force for those not familiar with the term) at least once before over the instances of abuse. What I found even more disturbing was that, according to the report:

My apologise for going on something of a rant here, but stories and reports on abuse always tend to make me angry. I know that this might be old news to some, but the fact that it is being reported is something that is relatively new to me, as women tend to take the frontline in terms of coverage on domestic abuse. I just hope that society can help men experiencing abuse and provide proper services to them, as well as encourage them to speak out about their experiences.

As for this discussion, while abuse towards men is the topic, I think that the discussion should go beyond the gender barrier and discuss abuse generally. I look forward to our further conversations on the topic.

For those of you who do not want to spend the time to read the full report, here are a few useful quotations.

• Traditionally male victims of domestic violence have found it more difficult to speak out and seek help for the abuse which they suffer in the home. Many of our service users report that they are tolerating or have tolerated abuse for the sake of their children.
    • Many of our male victims and their wider family members who contact the service, identify a difficulty with access, guardianship and custody of their children as well as applying for barring orders and protection orders.
    • In the past 17 years, we have received contacts from thousands of men who have shared their experiences of abuse at the hands of their violent partners or spouses.
    • Domestic abuse perpetrated against men takes many forms. It is generally categorised in the forms of physical, verbal, psychological, sexual and financial abuse. One or more, if not all of these forms can be present in the relationships described by those men contacting the service or receiving support.
    • The aim of the campaign was to encourage men who are experiencing, often horrific, domestic abuse to come forward and speak out whilst making these men and the wider public aware that AMEN is willing to listen to them and that they are welcome to share their experiences.
    • A total of 4868 contacts were received by the organisation... received from 2263 individuals.(65%) individuals were married...26% of individuals were unmarried
    • 5 disclosures of sexual abuse were made to the support staff, 2048 disclosures of physical abuse were made, 2859 disclosures of verbal abuse were made, and 2846 disclosures of psycholgical abuse were divulged to support staff.
    • 96% of those who contacted disclosed that they had children
    • In total 1499 disclosures of child abuse were recorded by AMEN Support Services in 2013.

- - - Updated - - -

Woops. I forgot to add a link to the article. Sorry about the double-posting, but here is a link to the article. Linkie~

Re: More men seeking help over domestic abuse.

I definitely think it's not increasing. The overall feminist movement has made huge leaps and bounds in the past few years in terms of helping reverse gender roles. Despite what some critics and men's rights activists want to think, that also benefits men. It is more and more acceptable for a man to come out and say "I'm in an abusive relationship with my wife." Even a decade ago, that same man may have been too ashamed to come forward and his problems probably wouldn't have been taken very seriously.

Both men and women can be abusers, and domestic abuse is still very underreported from both genders. However, there has been a huge push to raise awareness about abuse, and I think it's helping individuals come forward.

Comment

I agree with DanieMarie - more men are reporting.

Remember that, for men who will not strike back physically against women (and, believe it or not, they are legion), being abused by a woman is particularly difficult - and embarrassing. Men are "supposed" to deal with things like that...

- - - Updated - - -

I have to add this in -

Should a man respond to a physically violent female domestic partner with a physical response, and the event be subsequently reported, because of prejudiced perceptions (men abuse women, women don't abuse men), the one to be labeled "the abuser" is most likely going to be the man. Unless there's mucho evidence.

And, of course, mental and emotional abuse is never divided along gender lines. Some women are expert at to his, as are some men.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I used to think my hits on my hubby were playful, etc.

Then he started flinching when I would reach out to hug him, or even get something off the table.

Whoops.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          I used to think my hits on my hubby were playful, etc.

Then he started flinching when I would reach out to hug him, or even get something off the table.

Whoops.
          The playful hits shouldn't cause bruising, or hospital visits, you rapscallion, you.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yeah, I wonder why men are reluctant to report domestic violence :|

Comment

Indeed........need more words to post.....ok
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

The playful hits shouldn't cause bruising, or hospital visits, you rapscallion, you.
                They don't! They cause flinching! Isn't that like, emotional abuse? Haha
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment