Hodur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hodur

I knew I saw it somewhere that Hodhr is referred to the god of darkness and winter (I presume winter's darkness, not evil darkness): http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/divinity_of_the_day/norse/hodr.asp http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/the-history-and-significance-of-the-god-hodr-36298/ I can't vouch for the accuracy of this (at least it's not Wikipedia ), but it seems to make sense in my upg that Hodhr and Balder would be opposites.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

To be honest, there are so much details, that it's a bit hard to keep them all in mind. But thank you all for the info and the links! ^_^
      It takes a bit time for me to swallow everything, but with a bit of understanding, it'll be ok.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Gleb, allow me to summarize: there is nothing in the Lore to indicate that Hod/Hodhr/Hodur is associated with the season/weather of winter. If Hodhr speaks to you, then I'd advise listening to see what his message may be, and if you think you may want to build a relationship. You also mentioned rain. It just occurred to me that in your part of the world, winter doesn't include ice, sleet and snow. Northern gods associated with rain are Thor (as mentioned) and Frey; not winter gods, but might be closer to what you're looking for. Good luck in your searches!
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I have not heard of Hodhr being associated with anything outside of the story you posted. There is a god in Urglaawe that sounds similar to Hodhr in their myths but they are a PA Dutch tradition and if you are more Norse it may not mean anything. http://urglaawe.blogspot.com/2014/11...e-railing.html

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Skathi View Post
              My favourite season is Winter.
              Same for me. I love watching the pure white and deep grey colours of the clouds.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

To me, the ultimate winter god is Odin. Death is a big part of the Germanic concept of winter and no other god personifies death as well as Odin. Plus, there's the whole Odin visiting homes during Yule which was the precursor for Santa Claus in the plagiarized Christmas tradition.

Comment

Odin is a great god indeed. Though I feel more connected to Hodur for some reason. Even if he is not necessary the winter god. But thanks for your input!!!

Comment

It's natural to feel a connection to one god more than another. I feel a connection to Tyr above all others. If you get a wintery vibe from your connection with Hodur, then go with it. We don't know much about the gods outside of two texts written by Christians. Personal gnosis is critical to restoring our connection to the old ways on an individual level. Of course there are the traditionalists who will disagree with that notion since you can't exactly build an established religion without everyone agreeing on things, but back before the advent of Christianity, there was no established heathen religion then either. Everyone had their own beliefs and interpretations of what the gods and other concepts meant to them so don't be hesitant to do the same.

Comment

This is only tangential question, but does anyone have good resources for Northern Tradition sites? Most of the gods I connect with are also jotnar, except Thor.

And he's half jotnar, come to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
                        This is only tangential question, but does anyone have good resources for Northern Tradition sites? Most of the gods I connect with are also jotnar, except Thor.

And he's half jotnar, come to think of it.
                        Technically, he's 3/4 jotunn.

Northern Tradition Paganism has links to essays and online shrines and is probably the most comprehensive online source for NT folk.

Otherwise the community tends to be largely on various blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                          Technically, he's 3/4 jotunn.
                          Yep, Odin being 1/2 Jotun and Jord being full Jotun. My math leaves something to be desired, but by Thor and Jarnsaxa Magni (possibly Modi if Jarnsaxa is his mother) is almost full Jotun, something like what, 7/8? I daresay, then, that Thor's hatred for Jotuns has less to do with their race than with the behavior of some of them, is heritage notwithstanding. Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

"is heritage notwithstanding" s/b "his heritage notwithstanding". Didn't edit in time.

Comment

It's interesting indeed. Though what does Thor think about the non-violent Jotun?

I still don't know enough about Hodur, but I think my experience with him will be more practical in my daily life, than through visions or dreams as it was with the Kemetic gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              It's interesting indeed. Though what does Thor think about the non-violent Jotun?
                              It seems he was on good terms with them. Grid, a lover of Odin, took a liking to Thor, and he to her. She gave him his belt and gloves, and her staff; he married (or simply had a fling with) Jarnsaxa; Aegir and his wife Ran hosted parties for the Aesir, which Thor attended. There are others I can't remember right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                                It seems he was on good terms with them. Grid, a lover of Odin, took a liking to Thor, and he to her. She gave him his belt and gloves, and her staff; he married (or simply had a fling with) Jarnsaxa; Aegir and his wife Ran hosted parties for the Aesir, which Thor attended. There are others I can't remember right now.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X