Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question?

So if I wanted to read about Celtic Tradition, where would I look? What kind of stuff can I find online to read? I'm limited to w here I can go.

I live in a small town, and going to the library to look up this stuff could go badly on my end. Everyone knows everyone, so I'm trying to find a book list I can pick up at a book store or an online library. Any suggestions?

Re: Question?

well, funnily, when I started looking at the celtic tradition I typed in "druid" on goodreads, there are actually some very useful reviews on there.. I'm specifically interested in the druid magick... anyway. I found "the druid magic handbook" John Michael Greed and "Druid magic - the practice of celtic wisdom" Maya Magee sutton& Nicholas R. Mann. Both are very superficial, but I found they were a nice starting point, giving me an idea of where to go from there. I generally buy books online, and I had no problem getting my hand on those two. Over time I've picked up random books of arthurian legend and celtic myth. still looking for more things on the celtic lore myself.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Piprika View Post
      So if I wanted to read about Celtic Tradition, where would I look? What kind of stuff can I find online to read? I'm limited to w here I can go.

I live in a small town, and going to the library to look up this stuff could go badly on my end. Everyone knows everyone, so I'm trying to find a book list I can pick up at a book store or an online library. Any suggestions?

It depends on what you are looking for.

Celtic traditions range from Celtic reconstructionism to Druid revivalism.

Their page is now defunct (I'm assuming their group is too), but they still have one of the best non-specialized Celtic reading lists (their other reading lists are good too)--You can still access it via the wayback machine

If you are interested in Celtic reconstructionism, I recommend starting here for general info. I *think* imbas.org at one time had a good recommended reading list, but its been a while and I could be misremembering.

A number of Druid organizations has their own reading lists/recommended reading (there's some overlap) and often their own library of essays and the like (you just have to search their sites)--ADF has a great (what I would call) "intro to indo-european paganisms" list, and the OBOD has their own essay/article library
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Ahhh, thank you for the wonderful help! It helped a bunch! Though now I'm still confused on one thing though- Celtic altar? It mentioned a sacred place, but not much on what needs to be in it. Anyone have any ideas? I keep researching but keep getting Wicca altars, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Comment

What goes on an altar varies from person to person often. It also somewhat depends on what you're doing. I'd say you don't need to start assembling one right away, give yourself some time to research and learn. But if you want to, some candles and some kind of nice bowl is a place to start. Remember you don't have to buy a lot of things.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

An altar, imo, is for three things--the first is practical/physical (holding your stuff and as a literal working space), the second is symbolic/psychological (acting as a focal point and mood-setter), and the third is magical/spiritual (it acts as an "anchor" for sacred space and/or a window or door by which to commune or communicate with *that which you worship*.

Wiccans have a particular altar layout because they have a particular ritual format--each tool has a use in ritual, practical and/or magical. What other traditions and individuals do will depend on themselves...on the pupose of their ritual, and on their specific beliefs.

As iris mentioned you don't have to have an altar. Or, you could have a small and simple one. Or, if there is a deity that you are interested in worshipping, you could create a shrine instead (which skips the "working space" aspect of an altar).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Ahhh, I understand now! Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X