Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I Learned

There are seven parts to a spoon.
    Most extensive internet resource for research of Silver marks, Hallmarks & Maker's Marks - German Silver Hallmarks

Fin phone.
    .... So I meant to go back and see if we had a QI fact thread.
    Can someone please merge this post or rename to Today I learnt...
    Reply with your astounding trivial revelations!
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 25 Nov 2014, 04:34.

Re: Today I Learned

Title edit complete
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Title edit complete
      Thank you! Do you think it's too pre-schooler? Maybe just the QI thread or something... idk.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
        Thank you! Do you think it's too pre-schooler? Maybe just the QI thread or something... idk.
        I think it's a nice idea! I didn't learn anything interesting today. Not even anything language related. Well, there was one thing..

Today I learned (I fear Corvus is going to laugh at me for not knowing this sooner), that my pokemon's stat's increase if they're happy and love me.. I actually didn't even know you could play mini games and pet them. Now this is all I wanna do.. sod the actual game. Lol

This erm.. counts right?
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Today I learned no tear shampoo does not mean you won't cry if it gets in your eyes. It means it won't cause tears and tangles. I seriously had no idea.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Today I learned no tear shampoo does not mean you won't cry if it gets in your eyes. It means it won't cause tears and tangles. I seriously had no idea.
            I didn't know that either! So 'tear' as in 'rip', not 'drop of eye water'.

See, we're already learning!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Oh. My. God.

Mind. BLOWN.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

That people can become extremely emotionally invested in the question of whether a lightsaber should have a crossguard.

Comment

Hm.. I'm not so sure about this. Every bit of advertising I've read points to the formula being easy on the eyes and the shampoo being as gentle as pure water. I will need more convincing.

Comment

Today I learned:

About 80% of the Earth’s animals are insects!..This from a trivia site

Here,in case you need a source.

http://www.funology.com/trivia-and-strange-facts/
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Not something I just learnt, but something that blew my mind when I discovered it, and that surprises other people when I tell them, is that humans didn't originally select for coat colour and variations when we were domesticating wolves. The variation in colour, length of tail, floppy ears and so on, is due to genes related to those that determine tameness. So selecting purely for tameness naturally produces these variations that are appealing to us. It's seen in other species that were domesticated, but it somehow makes dogs seem even more special. Like they evolved especially to be man's best friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                        That people can become extremely emotionally invested in the question of whether a lightsaber should have a crossguard.
                        I missed the "should a saber have a crossguard?" and got the free lesson on how a lightsaber crossguard should be designed to avoid uselessness (if you're lucky) and killing you (if you're not lucky).
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          I missed the "should a saber have a crossguard?" and got the free lesson on how a lightsaber crossguard should be designed to avoid uselessness (if you're lucky) and killing you (if you're not lucky).
                          I don't see the point of the crossguard, to be honest, since the movies have made it pretty obvious that lightsaber blades don't slide down eachother the way regular metal blades do (although if they did, people are right, the one shown in the trailer would be useless). I guess it would still provide a little protection from getting your hand chopped off too close to the blade? I dunno.

But it doesn't really bother me either, no more gimmicky than a double bladed lightsaber, and the only thing that bothered me about that is how much they played up Darth Maul as a badass in the leadup to the prequels then killed him off rather ignominiously in the first movie - guy only got like 8 minutes of screen time, although granted 5 of them were probably the 5 best minutes of the first prequel movie.

As for killing the wielder, I don't see how it's any more dangerous than a regular lightsaber (where the wielder is protected by precognition granted by their connection to the Force), let alone that stupid half-robot guy who was spinning around like 6 of them (and didn't even use the Force).

Comment

If a starfish loses one of it's 'legs' (are they legs or tentacles?) they re-grow it. AND......the separate leg grows another starfish. Cloning in nature!
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I knew about the growing another leg,but the missing leg growing another star fish is news to me.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X