Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Thalassa's Kitchen

I love vintage recipes.

I like to try them, and tinker with them, and do all sorts of stuff to them.

Hubby calls it my "experimental cooking". Other people have art portfolios and poetry collections...I have recipes.

Beat egg well. Add oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini and mix. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix. Stir in nuts. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour in large greased bunt pan or in two large loaf pans.

--This weekend, I'm going to try this one (with a unsweetened applesauce, winter squash, and probably some quick oats)

Melt in a sauce pan:
    3 squares Bakers unsweetened chocolate
    1/2 c Crisco
    Measure into mixing bowl:
    2 c cake flour (sifted together)
    2 c sugar (sifted together)
    1 tsp salt (sifted together)
    3/4 c milk
    the chocolate mix from above
    Mix by hand or mixer for two minutes, then add:
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup milk
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix by hand or mixer for 2 minutes, then bake in a moderate oven (~350 degrees F) for about 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

--I used to cook this with my Grandpa (the long time members here may remember some of the times I quoted him, pre-crash....which maybe inspires me for a blog post here so the newer members can experience the awesomeness). He found it in the 40s or 50s in a newspaper advertisement for Lucky Clover brand something-or-other and made it for my Grandma on her birthday, and its a family special occasion staple ever since. Its delish, but a little bit dry compared to modern cake recipes, which I'm going to try to tinker with over the holidays...not sure how yet.

--This next one, I found online on vintagerecipes.net, from a 1920 cookbook...like the above cake recipe, its a bit dry (in this case, if you aren't careful rolling it out). It is awesome, though, with honey sauce (honey and melted butter with a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon)

1920's biscuits

1 pint flour
    1 heaping teaspoonful baking powder
    1/2 tablespoonful butter
    1/2 teaspoonful salt
    1/2 pint milk
    1 egg
    1 teaspoonful sugar

Sift flour, salt, sugar, and powder into a bowl, add the butter and rub it fine with the flour, mix the egg and milk together, pour a little of the egg milk into a cup, add the remaining to the flour, mix all together with a knife into a firm dough, turn it on to a floured board, and work it together to smooth the dough, roll it out 1/4 inch in thickness, then cut it into rounds, brush them over with a little melted butter, fold them over and set them on a buttered tin, brush the rolls over with the egg milk which was set aside, and bake in a quick oven. A good plan is to keep the rolls covered with buttered paper the first 10 minutes while baking.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: From Thalassa's Kitchen

Your grandma's missing a key ingredient in her zuke bread: Cocoa!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      Your grandma's missing a key ingredient in her zuke bread: Cocoa!
      Lol, I was thinking about adding zucch to the chocolate cake recipe!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Must. Stop. Reading. About. Food...
        i start reading about it or see it on television I wanna eat it.... All of it... Sometimes mixed all together in a bowl....
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Why not make a streaming/youtube video channel about you making new stuff in the kitchen?

Sounds delicious, btw!

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

... popular recipes broadcast from October, 1926, to June, 1927, in the Housekeepers' Chat programs of the radio service, United States Department of...

For thal.

Mostly art.

Comment

Leave the nuts out. I hate finding chunkies in my food.

Otherwise, zucchini bread is food of the Gods!
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
              X