Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

That's a really good idea they look beautifully crafted too.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Trying to get familiarized with the runes, I started trying to paint a bit. I'm quite happy with how this one turned out
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Is it possible Runesstones buyable with Gold? i have serious doubt in this.
        Amarres de Amor

Comment

Originally posted by Petra Filiz View Post
          Is it possible Runesstones buyable with Gold? i have serious doubt in this.
          If you have gold, you can buy runes, of this I have no doubt. If you're saying you think runes should be made rather than bought, that is a popular point of view... it's not particularly my point of view, but a lot of people think that way..
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
          Tribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

That looks awesome, Iris! And thanks for the compliment about my runes.

Since you sort of mentioned it Rick, personally I prefer to make my own runes, but I also don't see anything wrong with using a purchased set. My first few sets were commercially made.

The only other thing I can think that Petra was referring to could be the look of my runes? If what I'm thinking is what you mean, they are not gold. They started life as coins, and are made of nickel-brass, and have that really nice gold look.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              That looks awesome, Iris! And thanks for the compliment about my runes.
              thanks and my pleasure.

I think maybe Petra is asking if it's possible to get runes inlaid with gold? If so, I guess that's quite possible.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                I think maybe Petra is asking if it's possible to get runes inlaid with gold? If so, I guess that's quite possible.
                That would be amazing. I'd love a set of runes made of silver with the runes themselves of gold inlay.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  That would be amazing. I'd love a set of runes made of silver with the runes themselves of gold inlay.
                  That would be awesome
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I've taken an interest in runes and want to learn more, does any one have any advice/guidlines for a total beginner? I've searched for books on that topic but I've found dozens of different ones on amazon and ebay alone, can anyone tell me which author would be a good source to start form?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
                      I've taken an interest in runes and want to learn more, does any one have any advice/guidlines for a total beginner? I've searched for books on that topic but I've found dozens of different ones on amazon and ebay alone, can anyone tell me which author would be a good source to start form?
                      Hail friend! A great author to look into is Edred Thorsson. In my opinion, he is absolutely one of the
                      most knowledgable vitki (runemasters) living today. His works can be found all throughout Amazon. Just a tidbit, look for books only working in the realms of the Elder Futhark. There are many different ages of runes, and those most commonly used in divination and magickal practices today are the Elder Futhark set of 24.

Just sharing my own sets as well, I own several different types, each used for different practices and purposes. I have found wood, crystal and stone each have their own extreme differences and should be played around with by the upcoming vitki for comfort and knowledge. Just as posted above, I always stain my runes. It gives a sense of my own being to them, and it binds me eternally with the set. I also charge them by every full moon, and carry a set with me wherever I go.
                      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                        Just a tidbit, look for books only working in the realms of the Elder Futhark. There are many different ages of runes, and those most commonly used in divination and magickal practices today are the Elder Futhark set of 24.
                        I use the Anglo-Saxon runes. Nothing wrong with 'em. And they have their own rune poem - unlike the Elder Futhark.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post

Rune Primer by Sweyn Plowright. Best beginner book, with no New Age nonsense passed off as 'truth of the guru vitki'...

...available on Kindle for $4.99...
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            I use the Anglo-Saxon runes. Nothing wrong with 'em. And they have their own rune poem - unlike the Elder Futhark.
                            I try to keep to the originals. Absolutely nothing wrong with AS runes, I just feel much more comfortable with the original system. Each system does have its own power.
                            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Personally, I feel that without a rune poem attached, you are going to have quite a job arguing that the Elder Futhark runes are any more original than the others. That's why I am now a little wary of them.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                Personally, I feel that without a rune poem attached, you are going to have quite a job arguing that the Elder Futhark runes are any more original than the others. That's why I am now a little wary of them.
                                I am not here to argue which set is better. But when Odin hung himself from Yggdrasil, sacrificing himself for wisdom, the elder Futhark presented itself to him, not the younger. I am not comfortable with altered sets which have a lot of Christian influences in their creation. If you trace those poems, their is a lot of christianization in the lore, but that lore comes from the original elder Futhark set.
                                - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                                X