God of cyberspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God of cyberspace?

okay, yeah, this not a 100% serious question, but i was just wondering, and hoping some of all ya polytheists can help out on this.

under whose domain do computers and internet fall (i mean besides nerds and geeks), deity-wise?

Hermes comes to mind, but not sure what others think . . .? (and don't say Steve Jobs--he ain't a god--not until he ascends into heaven anyway)

Re: God of cyberspace?

Skynet

Sorry, moving away from the genocidal supercomputer. I'd think any divinity of communication or knowledge has some sway. St. Isidore was nominated for (didn't make it to my knowledge) Patron Saint of the net in 03 bit I haven't heard of a deity commonly linked to it.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hmm...if you want someone known for bringing technology to the masses, Prometheus, perhaps? Yeah, yeah, titan, not god. I know, but it fits in a rather Ayn Rand sort of way.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Hermes.... or maybe Woden?
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My vote would be for Mercury/Hermes.
          SPQR

Comment

[quote author=gwynwas link=topic=1070.msg19550#msg19550 date=1291391677]
            (and don't say Steve Jobs--he ain't a god--not until he ascends into heaven anyway)
            [/quote]
            Steve Jobs (or Bill Gates for that matter) didn't even invent the internet, anyway. Robert Kahn of BB&N and Vinton Cerf laid the groundwork and Tim Berners-Lee created the WWW system.

Also, as far as cyberspace goes... I think it probably needs to be analyzed deeper. What makes up cyberspace? 1's and 0's at it's extreme basic form. I think attributing it to the god of wisdom is a quick and easy answer, but I believe it's much deeper then that. Since I have never really thought about it, I'll need some more time to do some research before I come up with a solid answer on my part.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=1070.msg19589#msg19589 date=1291401645]
              Hermes.... or maybe Woden?
              [/quote]

Right, didn't Woden have some special nerd-like (but at a divine level of course) knowledge of runes? Or something like that?

(um, no disrespect intended)

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=1070.msg19604#msg19604 date=1291406223]
                Steve Jobs (or Bill Gates for that matter) didn't even invent the internet, anyway. Robert Kahn of BB&N and Vinton Cerf laid the groundwork and Tim Berners-Lee created the WWW system.
                http://www.seattlepi.com/business/nett20.shtml[/quote]

good point.

Also, as far as cyberspace goes... I think it probably needs to be analyzed deeper. What makes up cyberspace? 1's and 0's at it's extreme basic form. I think attributing it to the god of wisdom is a quick and easy answer, but I believe it's much deeper then that. Since I have never really thought about it, I'll need some more time to do some research before I come up with a solid answer on my part.
                didn't william gibson coin the term cyberspace? maybe he would be a good candidate (after he dies or ascends or enters paranirvana or whatever, of course)

Comment

Any knowledge-deity or invention-deity can apply, as can anything lightning-based since it's all electricity. Thoth, for instance. "Thoth, Tehuti or Djehuty in ancient Egyptian, is the god of wisdom, writing, speech, measurement, the moon, and magic. He serves as the vizier (prime minister) to Re, King of the gods. He's also the gods' official record-keeper. He's Mr. Science, the Answer Man, and divine Secretary-in-Chief. " Also, Thoth is apparently a trickster. Sounds like the internet to me.
                  Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

I never herd of Thoth as a trickster. Some people actually think the internet is like a plane of exsistance, maybe cyberspace is a god in its own right. I belive the thought behind that is the ghost in the machine theory, in which random code combines eventually into a form of sentient intellegence basicly high speed evolution. At this stage if the internet was sentient I would think it would be dull in its thought, like a todler without the temperment. By this theory once the internet becomes self-aware is when it becomes a god. A creature of infathomable size, whose thoughts could never possibly be interperated or even accurately guessed at, is that not the definition of a god? Through the internet it would be near omnipotent, almost omipresent if not a god close to one. Its an interesting theory, I think quite possible. But im quite nuts :P
                    If I had to pick an actual god id say Thoth, because he is the recorder of information like the internet is. The internet is the recorder of everything known, just think how many times have you googled something or put information into a computer. Thoth is the scribe god, who has recorded information for thousands of years if not longer. That's my thoughts :P
                    Circe

Comment

Well if there was a Norse God to control technology... which is based on knowledge... then that would fall under Odin's control himself.

Comment

Thoth would be good looking at cyberspace as a place for knowledge. Yes there is a lot of knowledge out there, but at the same time there is a huge muddy pool of drivel to sift through to find the pearls of knowledge.

Most I come across seem to see the net as mindless entertainment and prefer dumb youtube vlog rants or stupidity themed videos to using it to gain knowledge. So taking them into account Thoth would work as well since it's still scribing even if it's not knowledge lol
                        -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                        (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

I'd cast a vote for Hermes as well.

Not only is he the messenger of the gods, he's also a trickster and a theif.

Fits the internet pretty well.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hermes is also an assassin due to his murder of Argus. Though I doubt that makes a difference.
                            SPQR

Comment

In my world, Hermes and Thoth are counterparts.....so my vote is Thormes or Hermoth.
                              Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X