Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people tell you about your own religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When people tell you about your own religion.

Now I know that most of the things on this thread are non-Pagan related but this genuinely does piss me off. I'm reading a novel on a site called Wattpad so it's all like amateur writers and some are fantastic. One story that I enjoy so much had various imaccurate Wiccan references about the religion dating back centuries and all that. Now, I'm used to people being like that but it's late and I got a tad mad so I said, "Maybe you should do some actual, legit research before putting false info into your stories? Wicca only dates back to the 1950's or so."

This author replies, "Uhm, how about you do some research? Wicca goes well back into at least the 1800's."

if that wasn't enough to get under my skin, some random person chimes in, "Well Wicca is a newer form of Paganism which has been around since before Christianity. So basically you could call it whatever you want."

idk about anyone else and it could be that I'm exhausted and can't sleep cuz I'm sick but... I'm pretty sure she just said all Pagans are Wiccans.. I addressed both comments with evidence to back up my claims.

Again, just needed to get this off of my chest because this is the first time someone has actually tried to teach me about my own beliefs. I could just be ranting and I could totally be wrong, idk but... If someone has ever tried to tell you about what you believe then perhaps you can relate lol. Again, I give all of you free reign to tell me I'm just not thinking straight right now.

-Serria
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: When people tell you about your own religion.

Lol, this *is* the rant section, so...rant away!

And yes, you will hear/see this phenomenon over and over and over and over again. Sometimes the people argueing with you will be of your same faith. That's when it gets really fun.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I usually just consider stuff like that priceless entertainment but I get why it bugs you.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I'd probably be entertained more than anything but that's largely because telling me about my beliefs requires you to know what they are and....

Anyway, for a work of fiction, I probably wouldn't have bothered with historical corrections. Fiction doesn't need to match reality, that's why we call it fiction. In general, telling people what they believe is annoying and to be avoided. Telling people about a specific religion's history or doctrines regardless of if they claim that religion can be annoying but it can also be appropriate.

Claiming that you are of sect X doesn't necessarily mean that you have accurate knowledge regarding its history and theology. I was raised Catholic, I still pay more attention to what the Church is up to than most people and I've still been innaccurate about positions taken by the Catholic Church over the years. I've also come across Wiccans with hilarious interpretations of history and some modern interpretations of certain Sumerian* myths by popular Contemporary Pagan authors make me cringe. People are welcome to their own beliefs but if their stated beliefs contradict the position of their claimed sect, the historical record or source material regarding figures in their beliefs then other people are going to question/challenge the contradiction.

*Don't get me started on Ishtar's Descent. Just don't.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just to be irritating...

As a general rule (doesn't apply to the original post, I know) converts know more about a religion than those who are raised in it...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Sounds a bit like immigrants knowing more about our form of Government than we that are born into it...
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'd rather argue w/someone who is merely ignorant than someone who comes off as an intelligent human being but insists on being wrong about their chosen position. I do that myself on occasion for entertainment purposes, and from what people tell me it's extremely annoying. Even though it's fictional, some people would read it & assume that everything the writer stated about Wicca was fact.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Just to be irritating...

As a general rule (doesn't apply to the original post, I know) converts know more about a religion than those who are raised in it...
              I like to ask Christians if they've read their own Bible. I've had a couple of people tell me it was heretical to read the Bible because the priesthood must interpret God's words for the layman. o.O
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                converts know more about a religion than those who are raised in it...
                I was told that by Hindus I attended temple with when I practiced Hinduism. They were amazed (and amused and flattered).
                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

If it wasn't such a common occurrence, I would be irritated too. Unfortunately, you can't control how another person thinks or impact their sphere of reality without being privy to their inner workings. Maybe they're still newish to the path and are still developing their understanding, or maybe they have gone as far as they want to and this is where they're comfortable. Either way, it's not worth the headaches (IMO) to try and educate people who don't want to learn.

I've basically learned to keep my thinky thoughts to myself unless asked about something in particular, because not everyone is going to be able to just jump into your beliefs and understand where your own version has come from or what it has been impacted by.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    *Don't get me started on Ishtar's Descent. Just don't.
                    I'm so tempted to get you started on this.

Ereshkigal is one of the non-Norse deities I honor, and Torey has done some work with Nergal... the neo-pagan interpretation of Inanna's little trip to Irkalla drives me absolutely batty.

But this is me NOT getting you started... but only because you asked so nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      I'm so tempted to get you started on this.

Ereshkigal is one of the non-Norse deities I honor, and Torey has done some work with Nergal... the neo-pagan interpretation of Inanna's little trip to Irkalla drives me absolutely batty.

But this is me NOT getting you started... but only because you asked so nicely.
                      I don't even pay much attention to that pantheon. I just have issues with changing the narrative from goddess got in over her head and got bailed out by other Powers to goddess goes onto home turf of other goddess (giving up all her weapons and tools in the process) and proceeds to beat the other fully armed goddess into submission on her home turf. Apologies to those it may concern but Inanna wasn't that awesome. She leaves because other people bail her ass out.

Hmm, I'm getting started aren't I? I'll stop now.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        I don't even pay much attention to that pantheon. I just have issues with changing the narrative from goddess got in over her head and got bailed out by other Powers to goddess goes onto home turf of other goddess (giving up all her weapons and tools in the process) and proceeds to beat the other fully armed goddess into submission on her home turf. Apologies to those it may concern but Inanna wasn't that awesome. She leaves because other people bail her ass out.

Hmm, I'm getting started aren't I? I'll stop now.
                        The original version is along the lines of... goddess thinks she's better than everyone else, invades someone else's turf, gets her arse handed to her, gets strung up on a hook, all the other Powers say 'it's her own stupid fault she can rot there', one single lonely Power takes pity on humans suffering in her absence and bails her out, goddess throws a tantrum and sends her husband to take the fall for the rest of eternity.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...

Comment

Yeah, I glossed over most of the background when I looked into it years ago.I just remembered Enki saving her butt (though wiki seemed to have someone else do so) then I hear the re-imagined one and I'm going "WTF? She had help, LOTS OF HELP"

Comment

Let me chime in from Catholic land!
                            "You worship Mary."
                            "You worship the saints."
                            "You do know the Pope works with the new world Government?"
                            etc. *sigh*
                            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                              Let me chime in from Catholic land!
                              "You worship Mary."
                              "You worship the saints."
                              "You do know the Pope works with the new world Government?"
                              etc. *sigh*
                              And my personal favorite: "Catholics aren't Christian." If ignorance really is bliss, some folks must just be rolling in it.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X