• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hypothyroidism...

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    Nope, I like unsweetened tea.
    Me too!!!
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      ok doki,we gonna go with honey chile...My final offer....

So...........

Video Link: http://youtu.be/wxhO-qZIrJc
      Deal.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post

Something further... the Total T3 and T3 Uptake reports are useless. They mean nothing, they are old, outdated and bogus tests but doctors still use them. The best reports are Free T4 and Free T3. Too many doctors also rely too heavily on only TSH. And! the optimal range for TSH is 1-2. If TSH shows at 4.7, for example, and your doctor says you're normal but you still feel like crap... guess what... it's not normal. The range is outdated and bogus. The best doctor to treat this is a metabolic endocrinologist (most endos only treat diabetes), or a doctor who is open-minded and cutting edge in his/her approach.
        They did another blood draw on Monday and checked the free T4 and free T3, but it came back normal so she's not sure if it's HypoT after all. I'm bummed out now. We're going to double check that again in about a month. She's also running a lab on Vitamin D and checking white blood count again. The UA came back clean of UTI so she wants to see if there another infection at play.

My metformin is also getting changed from extended release (yesssss because those horse pills are hard to swallow) to regular.

I still have nausea but not quite as frequently anymore. So that's a plus.

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Keep in mind that the results of each should be in the upper 2/3 of the lab range. You could be sub-clinical hypot. That means you have the symptoms but the labs don't reflect it. It is not at all uncommon. It's good she's running more tests soon. Vitamin D should be at least mid-point of the lab range. You said she seems pretty good, so that's a big plus... she'll nail it down.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

1. What medication was prescribed?

I was prescribed Levothyroxin and I've been one it for almost 2 years or so now. I know my dad has hypothyroidism, and he had his thyroid removed...which thank goodness mine is balanced in the blood work I get every year or couple of months (it's something I'll be discussing with my GP when I see her again).

2. Has it worked?

Yep. I've been very happy with it, but I am also thalassemic (so is my mom and brother), so I'm quite used to lethargy and fatigue, but I deal as well as I can and remember to keep up on my B12 as well.

3. Did it require any lifestyle changes to complement the medication or no?

Other than just working on losing weight (which I am doing currently and is always kind of a struggle since I also have PCOS, which is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), not much. I've also committed to reducing my soda-intake and I've just been feeling so much better in general.

4. What symptoms has it treated the most?

Some of the tiredness (it's always a battle), I have been steadily losing weight with quite a bit of changes in my diet and an increase in exercise but I have been off the wagon with exercise for a few days and am going to correct. I don't lose as much hair as I might have, but I have quite thick hair so I don't notice too much (and with PCOS, you never know which is causing which at this point). My dry skin is improving, but it is winter right now and getting more water is always recommended. I've also been less depressed and irritable, and I've never struggled with low libido, so we're good there. :P

5. If there are other conditions, has the hypothyroidism treatment helped improve those, too?

In a way, I think so, but thalassemia is hard to pin down. I don't know if I should go see the hematologist because I've been diagnosed even when I was a baby/toddler with the same diagnosis, and right now I'm just self-treating, losing weight, and maintaining a healthier mindset and I think I'm doing good. So unless I feel compelled to do so, I'm just going to keep on doing what I am doing now.

6. Do you have any dietary recommendations to help supplement successful treatment?

I really wouldn't know. : \ I don't try to abstain from anything really, but then I think I suffer a strain of IBS/nervous stomach, and even I don't know how to pin that down because anything can cause a spasm, and I also don't have a gallbladder, and haven't had one since Feb. 2008. Your guess is as good as mine. xD

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              On Wednesday I was diagnosed with having hypothyroidism which was actually a relief to hear. From what limited research I've done on it so far, it seems to explain a lot of what I've been going through for a long time. I have to go back for another blood draw because they want to run a bigger panel of tests, now knowing what they should be looking for. I'm actually surprised that they haven't done this sooner... But that's not really what I want to talk about.

What I would like to know, from those of you who either live with this and/or know of it by proxy (someone you know has it/you work with people who have it):
              (PLEASE - Answer only if you're comfortable doing so or PM me of you don't want to discuss it publicly.)

1. What medication was prescribed?
              2. Has it worked?
              3. Did it require any lifestyle changes to complement the medication or no?
              4. What symptoms has it treated the most?
              5. If there are other conditions, has the hypothyroidism treatment helped improve those, too?
              6. Do you have any dietary recommendations to help supplement successful treatment?

That's all I have for right now.

I'm really looking forward to getting this figured out but I'm also afraid I may be getting my hopes up too high and kind of just want to brace myself for any possible hurdles that come with this.

I hope it's OK to reopen this.

If there is anyone in the world who is hypo, it's me. I was born without a thyroid gland. They call it congenital but since there is not a soul on either side of my family who knows of anyone way back who had it, it's hard to tell where it came from.

1. Levothyroxine
              2. Definitely, I was sick from new born
              3. Less so than my paternal inclination for blood cholesterol and heart disease
              4. Fatigue, largely, but pretty much every function the gland is meant to control. Oh and death. I'm not dead, that's an important one.
              5. No. I was diagnosed as having ADD as a child, but personally I think it's because I didn't fit into or appreciate the mould required for doing well at cookie cutter state education.
              6. There are a lot of stories about this sort of thing, but insufficient science to back it up. NHS, who don't benefit from you cutting out food unless it improves your health (less strain on them), don't suggest cutting out any food generally.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Working...
              X