metaphorical bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metaphorical bible

Good day, good evening friends . I am interested in reading the bible (new and old testament) metaphorically. For some reason I am frustrated and feel there is deeper meaning to most things in the bible. I am trying to find a good source on how to read it metaphorically. Can anyone suggest good sources that could be helpful? Also does anyone have experience in reading it this way?

Thanks in advance

Love and peace to you.

Re: metaphorical bible

I don't know about any sources, but I learned from my religion teacher that one of the metaphors involves the Adam and Eve story. Instead of Adam and Eve being two people, they could be representative of tribes or 2 large, separate types of people. Some of the more obvious metaphors can be found with, say, the Tree of Life and its fruit (life and knowledge).
    It's a lot easier to not read the Old Testament literally (well, for me I've been able to do that only for Genesis lol). It's trickier with the New Testament because it's a more recent account and may or may not be historical (the debates confuse me).

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth View Post
      Good day, good evening friends . I am interested in reading the bible (new and old testament) metaphorically. For some reason I am frustrated and feel there is deeper meaning to most things in the bible. I am trying to find a good source on how to read it metaphorically. Can anyone suggest good sources that could be helpful? Also does anyone have experience in reading it this way?

Thanks in advance

Love and peace to you.
      There are too many resources to even begin to list. Here's one, though its scope is quite limited:

If you want to get right into some very deep metaphorical and mystical interpretations of the Bible, look towards a more Jewish vein - in particular, Kabbalah.

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth View Post

Thanks in advance

Love and peace to you.
        motherearth can you please check back here if you find anything interesting?

Comment

Newadvent.com It contains all sorts of information about the Bible and Christianity in general, including the writings of the Church Fathers like Origen who took the Old Testament metaphorically.

Comment

MotherEarth, unless you read the Bible metaphorically, it makes no sense, and is merely a poorly executed historical novel.

Read it metaphorically, however, and it is good.

Ecclesiastes, for example, is outstanding!

And, for Paracelsus, Genesis was the ultimate in Alchemical writing.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Ecclesiastes, for example, is outstanding!

My favorite book of the Bible...
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X