This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wedding/Handfasting Thread

I'm going wedding dress shopping tomorrow. I've had my fun trying on pretty stuff, now I really just want to find my dress (also, there's a sale. I wouldn't mind not paying a fortune for a dress I'm wearing once)
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by iris View Post
    I'm going wedding dress shopping tomorrow. I've had my fun trying on pretty stuff, now I really just want to find my dress (also, there's a sale. I wouldn't mind not paying a fortune for a dress I'm wearing once)
    Totally bought mine of the sale rack. Paid $300 for it and $250 for alterations. I was totally a happy camper. It is now in a closet at my mother-in-laws house. But good luck shopping
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
      Totally bought mine of the sale rack. Paid $300 for it and $250 for alterations. I was totally a happy camper. It is now in a closet at my mother-in-laws house. But good luck shopping
      I've got a budget of around $2000, but I'd much prefer paying less I know they have dresses starting at $200, so I'm really hoping something fits me, they don't have a lot of size 2 and 4 on the racks.
      Thanks
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

right on about the dress! If I had my wedding over, I would spend less money on tiny details and more money on the honeymoon! Well, the dress isn't a tiny detail.. but you get the idea!

Comment

I spent $120 on my dress, altered it myself, added my own beading, made my own veil, and we carried lanterns instead of bouquets...I should see if I can find pictures. All together, our entire wedding (including rings--which is good, because we've both lost them and have had jobs where wearing them was a no-no) was under $1000. Hubby wore his dress uniform.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Re: The Wedding/Handfasting Thread

So, I made this little string of conversation its own thread (I thought we, at one time had a thread like this, but maybe not)...I figured this is a topic that can stand alone and be fun to talk about, whether you've done it or are planning to do it.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

On my way home, unfortunately not with a dress. But I tried one on in another store which I'm going back to try Monday. And they have a sale too. I'm not handy, I wouldn't try altering my own dress, as I don't wanna be naked on the day :P
              One thing that's starting to annoy me is the whole "you gotta suffer to be pretty" they've got going on. I tried one on that was toed so tight it was killing my back, "but it gives you such a tiny waist, it's worth it" no... i like my waist thank you very much. I also like my bones unbroken, and I sure as hell don't want to be uncomfortable on our wedding day just to get a tiny waist, or bigger boobs or better anything actually... sorry about tthe rant ^^
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

The idea for most weddings it seems is spend a fortune,at least that's the commercial vision. Thing is after you are married,you realize(and more so if you gonna have kids) that money will come in VERY handy when you are trying to throw together your first apartment as a couple. When the idea of having kids hits you,you begin to understand just how expensive raising kids really is.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  The idea for most weddings it seems is spend a fortune,at least that's the commercial vision. Thing is after you are married,you realize(and more so if you gonna have kids) that money will come in VERY handy when you are trying to throw together your first apartment as a couple. When the idea of having kids hits you,you begin to understand just how expensive raising kids really is.
                  We have our own apartment, we've lived together for two years now. So that's not a thing for us, kids are a thing of the somewhat far future. But we have no desire to ruin our economy on one day, so we're keeping the budget tight. The dress cimes out of my savings, though my mom is hinting she'll chip in I'd feel weird in a dress that cost a fortune... but it's hard to find something cheap around here, and I'm no good at sowing.
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Comment

My dress cost $210, including alterations. It's still sitting in my closet, but I think I'm going to remove the train and wear it on anniversaries. Just keep your eyes open.

My entire wedding cost 2k, including dress, shoes, circlet, venue, food, ceremony. Though I didn't pay for the booze my uncles snuck in against the venue's rules. =P

Comment

My handfasting was a mess for a lot of reasons! I'm counting the years until we can do a vow renewal so I can make up for it.

Good luck, Iris! Weddings AND handfastings can be stressful but it's all about making memories

Comment

Thanks Raphaeline stressful indeed, but hopefully worth it. This is a wedding, i a church, which I've felt a bit strange about. But it's more of a cultural thing than a religious to me, and it means something to him. I asked him if we could have a handfasting as well, and he said of course we could, but I'd rather that was a private thing just for us.
                        So :P sounds like you know what not to do?
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Comment

You can try looking online too. I got mine online and it worked out wonderfully. I had to spend forever taking measurements to enter in but it was worth. I do suggest adding an inch or so to all the measurements. If it doesn't fit perfect you can always take it in to get altered. Even with altering you should be able to get a real good one for under $500, and definately under $1000.
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                            You can try looking online too. I got mine online and it worked out wonderfully. I had to spend forever taking measurements to enter in but it was worth. I do suggest adding an inch or so to all the measurements. If it doesn't fit perfect you can always take it in to get altered. Even with altering you should be able to get a real good one for under $500, and definately under $1000.
                            I've looked at a few online stores, but the customer reviews on them were horrible at best. and I'd really like to know how it fits me before I buy it ... but there is one dress I'm going to try Monday, at a store wwhich prides itself on low prices and good quality. It's the only one I've really liked and with a few alterations (I'm not fond of strapless) I think it's probably close enough to perfect. That'd be less than $2000 including veil and belt, I'm ok with that.
                            What babe?
                            The babe with the power
                            What power?
                            The Power of voodoo
                            Who do?
                            You do!
                            Do what?
                            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

My mother hit on the idea of dyeing my wedding gloves (they were long, above the elbow, and fingerless) with indian ink and curry powder.

As a result I smelled like chicken vindaloo.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X