Gender inequity in the workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gender inequity in the workplace

I just thought these two articles were interesting...

Transgender experiences offer an interesting perspective to some of the criticism of workplace inequality claims

How men and women are described differently in performance reviews (in the tech world, but it echos the prior article)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Gender inequity in the workplace

Sexism is a thing, no really? Guess all those man hating feminists were actually on to something.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I read the first one before...interesting stuff.

Comment

I attended a college for a while that had predominantly male students. My first college was an all girl school and the middle/high school I attended was an extremely liberal program that was also predominantly female, so suddenly entering a male environment where there was only 2 or three other girls in the class was a bit of a culture shock for me. I remember in particular how careful I had to be when I asked questions; even if I asked a fellow student a yes or no question, it could easily turn into a super long teaching lecture. If a male student asked the same question, he could expect to get a yes or no answer, or a brief explanation.

Comment

I work in a female dominated industry (the Veterinary industry as a whole is statistically female dominated if you factor not only veterinarians but nurses/techs and support staff, plus veterinary practice managers are more often women than men so we have more women in leadership than men in general) and as a nurse/tech I don't have to worry about any inequity between me and male peers pretty much at all (there are very few male vet nurses/techs). BUT... reading that second article was very interesting for me. I am consistently described in reviews (both by my boss and 360 reviews from my staff) as a fantastic, highly skilled nurse and manager, but can come across as abrasive and condescending. I've always just put it down to my personality and know that I have to work hard at toning it down. This makes me wonder if I'd get the same feedback if I were male. Maybe. Maybe not. It's interesting though.

Comment

Working...
          X