Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afraid of being a New Ager

Warning: gets very whiny and personal.

This sounds downright stupid and ridiculous, but I'm frustrated and afraid that I might just be your typical New Ager.
    And I don't want to be.

I have been influenced by Buddhism and yoga (and various websites connected to those themes, some New Age sites included) and I feel a connection towards the Buddhist goddess/bodhisattva Kuan Yin, who is also very popular amongst the New Agers. I don't have a solid tradition and I guess I tend to get a bit too "fluffy" about spirituality from time to time. And I am deeply ashamed of that. Other people seem to run around with those cool war gods or whatever (let me elaborate: I don't want to be cool or my religion to be cool or to be devoted to a war god, I just don't want to be this pathetic. I guess I'm just jealous of people whose religion goes along with their personality.)

In Pagan circles it sometimes seem that the worst thing you could be is a New Ager (and believe it, in many things other than religion I have already been the worst possible thing and the ultimate failure*, I don't want this to be yet another "accomplishment" on the list.). And personally, I don't relate to much of the New Age stuff, let's say indigo children, 2012, nice folks being some higher frequency beings and your tiresome boss being a grey lizard man from outer space...

I do understand that those people too have their faith and practices and I don't want to prevent them from practicing it. That is just not a path I'd walk myself. I just feel stupid amongst other Pagans or even Buddhists or whatevers, even the New Agers. But I guess that's another thing and I'm not going to post another whiny thread on it.
    (And sorry if someone here identifies with the New Age movement, but this is the image I've got, feel free to correct whatever mistakes there might be.)

Thanks for reading.

* I'm not exaggerating but when you already at the age of seven realise that in almost every thing, from the alphabetical order to sports results you are the last one, it sort of sinks in and doesn't exactly pave the road to any kind of success. Sorry for venting like this but I do get frustrated every now and then. And I don't want to hear how that is not true, it just wanted to tell it and now let's get back to the topic which is banishing the "New Age demon" out of me, not my personal history. Sorry to be this blunt, I mean no harm.
    baah.

Re: Afraid of being a New Ager

No matter what you do, you're going to get crap about it. I also work with Kwan Yin, but I've been drawn to her since my tweens, before I even thought about this path. I've also formed my own path, rather than following a set one. I take what I want and leave the rest; that's why I'm an eclectic pagan and not a Wiccan, a Christian, a whatever.

My advice? If someone gives you crap about being "fluffy" or a "new ager", screw 'em. If you're doing what resonates with you, and you're not harming anyone (including yourself), who cares what anyone else thinks? Yes, I've described other people as being fluffy or special dark snowflakes, but I never, and I would never, tell them that they're not "allowed" to believe what they do.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Thanks a lot! Perhaps I'm just not used to being eclectic.

And no-one hasn't (yet?) given me crap about anything, except myself of course.
      baah.

Comment

Over my years in carious pagan and/or Wiccan forums I've noticed two trends when it comes to the dislike of both fluffiness and new agers.

1) The tendency of new agers and newbies (both groups which are seen as fluffy) to pass off the wildest claims and UPGs as historical facts and universal truths. (Not that all pagans have anything against UPGs, but they shouldn't be passed off historical or universal.)

2) The I'm-a-white-which-and-only.white-magic-and-would-never-cause-harm-to-anyone-but-I-will-vilify-attack-and-slander-anyone-who-doesn't-agree-100%-with-me syndrome, which is particularly rampant amongst many new agers,
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

You can hold New Age beliefs without becoming a stereotype. Just avoid (in no particular order)

1) being an ass
          2) being a hypocrite
          3) passing off terribly easy to discredit concepts as historical/scientific fact and then throwing a fit when people discredit them

For the record:

I'm not accusing you of any of the above. I'm just pointing out that long as you avoid the above, you can get away with holding a lot of New Age (or any other age's beliefs) without becoming a
          disliked stereotype.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            You can hold New Age beliefs without becoming a stereotype. Just avoid (in no particular order)

1) being an ass
            2) being a hypocrite
            3) passing off terribly easy to discredit concepts as historical/scientific fact and then throwing a fit when people discredit them

For the record:

I'm not accusing you of any of the above. I'm just pointing out that long as you avoid the above, you can get away with holding a lot of New Age (or any other age's beliefs) without becoming a
            disliked stereotype.
            I second MO here. He said almost everything I wanted to say.
            I only want to add that it doesn't matter what religion/path a person follows, as long as this person doesn't cause any harm to humanity and this universe in general.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I think perhaps you worrying about things that should ONLY concern you. It seems that it is YOU who is judging yourself. In my understanding,you find your beliefs where ever and when ever you find comfortable. I think the idea that a belief system must meet some pre-set standard comes from the more structured religions. For me,being pagan means I am allowed to be a bit different from even other pagans. For me being pagan means being free to explore everything I become interested in. One member here describes himself as a red neck pagan,and that is cool with everyone. If some of the new age stuff catches your interest,check it out,nothing says you have to stay with it,if it does not meet your needs. It is the freedom of exploring things that attracted me to being pagan in the first place.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thanks everyone for the insights! Now I understand the difference between Paganism and New Age (and formal religions compared to this more eclectic way) better.

2) The I'm-a-white-which-and-only.white-magic-and-would-never-cause-harm-to-anyone-but-I-will-vilify-attack-and-slander-anyone-who-doesn't-agree-100%-with-me syndrome, which is particularly rampant amongst many new agers,
                This is so true, not only for New Agers but for a lots of internet movements in general. (And the very reason why the web sometimes pisses me off.)

And by the way: Anunitu, I love the Kuan Yin pic in your signature!
                baah.

Comment

And btw,pagan is a pretty broad umbrella word,plenty of room under here...ya'll come on in...
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Never be afraid to be a nice person, or to want to help or heal others. Never be ashamed of being attracted to wholesome, gentle practices. Never be embarrassed because your patrons aren't of the Underworld or fearsome warriors. Find the right balance for yourself and do what you know is healthy for you.

Having lived through the dawning of the New Age with most of my darkness & cynicism intact, I know a lot of the ridicule that the 'New Age' movement gets is because many of the believers seem to be in denial. A lot of people believe, and maybe rightly so, that to only be focused 100% on positivity is foolish or naive. That instead of facing one's problems head-on, and doing what needs to be done to keep moving forward, New Agers tend to talk about 'rising above things' or 'manifesting change' in their lives - but never actually take any 'real-life' action. Unfortunately, the few New Agers that I know are still stuck in that mode. Their lives sort of crumbled around them because they were busy trying to manifest the perfect jobs or the perfect relationships or waiting for 2012 to wipe the slate clean. Spirituality should never let you stagnate - it should always encourage growth and evolution.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks Ophidia!

From that viewpoint, it almost seems like the New Agers were afraid to make a change or to take their future/the future of their planet in their own hands, which seems to be the exact opposite what they aim to do. Kind of sad actually.
                      baah.

Comment

1) being an ass
                        2) being a hypocrite

For the record:

disliked stereotype.
                        Yes, also please don't do this.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You can hold New Age beliefs be human without becoming a stereotype. Just avoid (in no particular order)

1) being an ass
                          2) being a hypocrite

I love you MO!
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

From that viewpoint, it almost seems like the New Agers were afraid to make a change or to take their future/the future of their planet in their own hands, which seems to be the exact opposite what they aim to do. Kind of sad actually.
                            Yup. Prayer circles & more prayer circles, getting everyone to think about world peace at 11:11 - and spending tons of money on seminars and retreats to work on themselves, rather than maybe starting community outreaches or getting in the trenches & doing actual work to make the world a better place. If you want the world to be a better place, starting with yourself is great - but eventually you're going to have to leave your pricey Sedona yurt :P
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

My aunt is into all that "metaphysical" stuff about manifesting your reality and always being happy. And she's planning to move to Sedona. LOL To me it reeks of cultishness when people claim some belief as fact/universal. Everybody needs air, sustenance, & some form of shelter - all else is choice and nothing applies across the board.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X