The Decline of Real Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Decline of Real Books

I love nothing more than a real book.... but libraries, book stores, etc. are becoming a dying breed :='(:.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: The Decline of Real Books

Even though I love real books, I've started switching over to Kindle because I'm running out of room for real books.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I will always prefer a physical book! I think/hope books are too important to too many people that they won't disappear.

Comment

I have a closet full of my real books. Sadly I have no room for them. And because of my eyesight, it's easier for me to do audiobooks now. But I collect them on a website that has virtual bookshelves. So it feels nice.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I started donating my books or giving some away, which makes me sad.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I miss good bookstores more than I actually miss books. I can get physical books when I need them and outside of RPG books (which I normally get through DriveThru), I generally still do. Physical bookstores however are an entirely different issue and I've lost half of the ones within two hours of where I live over the past 6 years.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I love real books and have a collection myself .I can actually thank my dad for getting me into reading books and watching documentaries. There is nothing better then a real book even though reading for prolonged periods give me headaches
              Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I miss good bookstores more than I actually miss books. I can get physical books when I need them and outside of RPG books (which I normally get through DriveThru), I generally still do. Physical bookstores however are an entirely different issue and I've lost half of the ones within two hours of where I live over the past 6 years.
                I don't know if they were where you live, but here in Michigan we lost Borders, an entire chain.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Book stores are very difficult to come by here in South Australia - and when you do find one, the books are extortionately expensive...much more expensive than in the US.

I spend all day at work staring at a computer screen, so the last thing I want to do to relax is to stare at another screen to read a book. That being said, there's also just something about the feel and smell of a real book. I find that when I am forced to read an ebook, I can't seem to focus on what I'm reading.

Very sad that digital is the way that books are heading, IMHO. But at least it might save some trees.

Comment

digital is nice; there's a lot of free out of print stuff and fan written stuff that's digital; plus, digital does save space... but I would be sad if the real life books disappeared completely... there's just something about holding a real book and having a real library of them to visit...

Comment

I tried ebooks and I didn't like how it felt reading them on the laptop. I mean I have the kindle app. Just wasn't a fan. I used to love going to thrift stores and sifting through old books
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I prefer real books too... I enjoy the pleasure of moving the paper with my hand. I hope they will be at least stored somewhere so they won't disappear.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Okay. So...

For years, I rallied against the ereader. What a stupid concept. You can't smell the book. You can't turn the pages. It needs to charge? What if I am traveling and can't charge it? What if I am backpacking and don't have power? What a stupid idea. They cost more than regular books. They're just a dumb technology.

And then, I bought one at a garage sale for $10 this summer. I thought, "Okay ereader, you're only $10. I found this $10 on the ground last week. It's like I'm getting you for free." ...and I tried it out. And it was okay, but it was old, and the battery died pretty easy, and the old ereaders don't talk to the new formats, blah, blah. Books are better.

And then for Christmas, I got the brand new Kindle. And I am a broke-ass right now with too much time on my hands. And I've already read most of my several hundred books on my bookshelves. And, oh look, I can get popular books online for FREE. And the pages turn easy. And the battery life is long. And it doesn't hurt my eyes like I thought it would. And it's so small, and light, and fits so many books in it.

And you know what? Books are still better, but I'm converted. My kindle is fecking awesome. It's January 9th, and I'm already on my 5th book. I've been reading like a mad lady.

Mostly art.

Comment

My biggest problem with Charlotte, NC was there was only two books stores in the entire city. On opposite ends in fact. A Barnes and Nobles and a Books A Million. I love used book stores. I love to walk in and smell. I love the feel of books, the smell. The whole shabang! Now I have by a Half Price Books and it will be a miracle if KP gets me to move away. I do also have a Nook, which I enjoy for the ease of use but 9 times out of 10 I buy a book on it because I need it right then, (cause I like to start a new series at 2 am) and then I go buy the actual book asap.

I don't understand why real books are going away. As far as cook books go and the likes I want the pages in my hand not on a screen. I must have them!!!
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I'm somewhat torn on the issue. On the one hand, I love the convenience of being able to instantly purchase almost any book I want on kindle (and cheaper than buying a physical version), and being able to carry a library of hundreds around in my tablet with me everywhere I go. I never have to sit there weighing up which books to take with me on any given day, or fit in my luggage on a long trip. When I first started reading ebooks I thought I'd hate it, but I barely notice the difference now, and there's so much convenience.

There's also the question of availability, there are a huge number of books which I would never have been able to obtain at the local bookstore, or which would never have even occurred to me to read except that I saw them online.

On the other hand, I do think there's something nice and solid about a physical book, especially when it's something you're going to study in depth and want to annotate, underline, hold open next to other books/notepads. So books which I feel are especially important in some way, those which I refer back to frequently, especially when I don't want to have a screen running, I go out of my way to obtain physical copies of - or those which have nice artwork or binding. But inevitably, we're going to see a shift further and further towards digital books, and physical copies will just become collectors items. That's just the march of technological progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X