Imbolc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imbolc

Do you have any plans or ideas for Imbolc?

Re: Imbolc

Imbolc? I never heard of it. Can you please tell a bit about it?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Gleb, its most commonly celebrated as a sabbat in the Wiccan Wheel of the Year, celebrated (usually) on Feb 1 or 2--basically the halfway point (or cross-quarter day) between the Winter Solstice (Yule) and Spring Equinox (Ostara). Its historic origins are as one of the four Celtic festivals (which are all cross-quarter days)--Lughnasagh/Lammas, Samhain, and Beltane. It is thought that Imbolc was a celebration of the goddess Brigid, who later was cannonized as St Brigit of Kildare (a really kick ass woman if she existed) (in the Catholic faith, the 1st is the Feast Day of St. Brigit (or St Brigid) and the 2nd is Candlemas, or the Presentation of Jesus at the temple)

Occasionally Imbolc is also called Oimlec...but either way its supposed to be an agrarian celebration of the (eventual) return of spring, as signaled by the lambing season and longer sunlight time. Its also a celebration of the home and hearth, and a time for weather divination--to find how much longer the winter will last (the US secularly celebrates this as Groundhog Day). How Imbolc is celebrated though, really depends on one's tradition...a Celtic reconstructionist will do things differently than a Wiccan, etc.
      Last edited by thalassa; 18 Jan 2015, 04:10.
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I will be doing a purification of home, and then going into town to get ewes milk and a lamb from our local farmer. I'll be using the milk to prepare a small feast of dairies, wheats, and veggies, and the lamb for a stew. Afterwards, I will probably consult the archangels through my oracle cards.
        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
          I will be doing a purification of home, and then going into town to get ewes milk and a lamb from our local farmer. I'll be using the milk to prepare a small feast of dairies, wheats, and veggies, and the lamb for a stew. Afterwards, I will probably consult the archangels through my oracle cards.
          Sound like a god plan. They do not have ewes milk in ny city, but de will have lamb with vegetables, potatoes, onions and some nice gravy.

I will light a candel in each room as a symbol og the return of the light. I will light many candels in my house this day for celebration og the light and the return og the Godess

Will make a Bridgit cross with my family and sing songs, dance and do Oracle cards too

Comment

Since there's a lot of fire involved with Imbolc, I light a ton of candles because of how closely I feel I resonate with fire.
            A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

In the morning, I'm going to do some early spring cleaning and then take my camera out for a photo adventure, capturing all the signs of spring that are already showing. In the afternoon, I'll cook a special dinner (not sure what's on this year's menu, yet ... blackberry cobbler is sounding good for dessert though) and once everyone in the house is asleep at night and my fiance leaves for work (overnight shift), I'll spend some time with my new and old oracle cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
                Since there's a lot of fire involved with Imbolc, I light a ton of candles because of how closely I feel I resonate with fire.
                Yeah I love lighting a ton og candels this day

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Katie Fae View Post
                In the morning, I'm going to do some early spring cleaning and then take my camera out for a photo adventure, capturing all the signs of spring that are already showing. In the afternoon, I'll cook a special dinner (not sure what's on this year's menu, yet ... blackberry cobbler is sounding good for dessert though) and once everyone in the house is asleep at night and my fiance leaves for work (overnight shift), I'll spend some time with my new and old oracle cards.
                What idea to take pictures og spring signs, have spring started to show its signs at your place? In ny country the earth are still sleping with a blancket of ice and snow Blackberry cobbler what is that? Sounds like you will have a lovely Imbolc

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
                  Yeah I love lighting a ton og candels this day

- - - Updated - - -

What idea to take pictures og spring signs, have spring started to show its signs at your place? In ny country the earth are still sleping with a blancket of ice and snow Blackberry cobbler what is that? Sounds like you will have a lovely Imbolc
                  Colorful spring flowers are sporadically popping up, my favorite warmer weather "weeds"/flowers have returned (I don't like referring to white dandelions and henbit as weeds; they're so pretty) and it's suddenly just really green out there. The air is still cool at night, but daylight is comfortable. Of course, I live in southern California and here in the US, it's said we don't really have a winter or know what cold is. LOL Cobbler is like pie, but the fruit filling isn't fully enclosed in the crust. Cobbler has just a little crust baked on top.

Comment

Colorful spring flowers are sporadically popping up, my favorite warmer weather "weeds"/flowers have returned (I don't like referring to white dandelions and henbit as weeds; they're so pretty) and it's suddenly just really green out there. The air is still cool at night, but daylight is comfortable. Of course, I live in southern California and here in the US, it's said we don't really have a winter or know what cold is. LOL Cobbler is like pie, but the fruit filling isn't fully enclosed in the crust. Cobbler has just a little crust baked on top.
                    I agree Dandelions is such a pretty herb as I like to call it I tend to use dandelions to make salad, tea and even soup Maybe you should take a trip and visit the North and get some experience of winter and the nothern lights Hm the cobbler pie thingy sounds very interesting do you have any recepies for it? Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
                      Hm the cobbler pie thingy sounds very interesting do you have any recepies for it? Sounds good.
                      I'll make a note to look through my recipes. I believe I got one online before and I really hope I kept the print out! Now, I'm thinking a parfait with a light cake and fresh homemade whipped cream sounds good. I just wish the berries could be fresh too, but I'll have to go with frozen since it's not the right season. Should still be good though!

Comment

I'll make a note to look through my recipes. I believe I got one online before and I really hope I kept the print out! Now, I'm thinking a parfait with a light cake and fresh homemade whipped cream sounds good. I just wish the berries could be fresh too, but I'll have to go with frozen since it's not the right season. Should still be good though!
                        Thank you for doing that, you get me all hungry now Hm berries, that reminds me that I have some frozen blueberries in my freezer

Comment

Luna, unfortunately, I didn't find a recipe. I guess I made it once and didn't keep it. Check out Pinterest though. They've always got yummy recipes and you can salivate while looking through the pictures. LOL

Comment

Luna, unfortunately, I didn't find a recipe. I guess I made it once and didn't keep it. Check out Pinterest though. They've always got yummy recipes and you can salivate while looking through the pictures. LOL
                            I will do love cooking

Comment

I haven't celebrated the Sabbats before (okay, Yule perhaps) but perhaps I should give Imbolc a try. I'm not yet sure how (or even on what day, 1st, 2nd or Candlemas which seems to be falling on 8th.)

I guess I'd go with something that has to do with purification and renewal. I also like the idea of returning light so perhaps something fire related. Candles or something. Although I get freaked out with the thought of possibly inhaling something harmful.
                              baah.

Comment

Working...
                              X