X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe Smoking Herbs

"By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Re: Pipe Smoking Herbs

I always smoke mugwort before committing to any type of divinational art. I've always found it to be a great way to calm my mind, and it has major effects on my meditations, and readings in general. Would recommend.
    Skul!
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

What would you recommend as the best way to prepare herbs for smoking from fresh-picked?

Comment

Marking my place so I can print it out when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by ashemonster View Post
          What would you recommend as the best way to prepare herbs for smoking from fresh-picked?
          Firstly, you want to make sure that the herbs and plants you’re picking are totally free from pesticides and other nasties. If you’re not sure, don’t use and look for a source that offers organic.
          Don’t harvest too late. Harvest while leaves are still in the growth stage and while the buds are yet to open. You also don’t want to over-dry them. If you do this, the mixture will not be as enjoyable to smoke. If you find you have over-dried your herbs, give them a quick sprits with water or a home-made mixture, for instance, if I’m making a sweet blend, I may want to make an infusion of apple in the water and spray it very lightly with that.
          You also want to make sure your herbs are being dried correctly. If you suspect mould of forming or starting to grow, throw out the entire batch.
          When you’re ready, store them in air-tight containers.

If you’re not used to smoking, you should start small to experiment with different flavours. A small pipe with a small bowl is good for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
            I always smoke mugwort before committing to any type of divinational art. I've always found it to be a great way to calm my mind, and it has major effects on my meditations, and readings in general. Would recommend.
            Skul!
            I agree, I've only smoked it a few times but I've had positive experiences.
            White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            Wolfe the dauntless hero came
            And planted firm Britannia's flag
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            And joined in love together,
            The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Where is a good source to check both desirable and undesirable side effects of smoking a herb?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
                If you’re not used to smoking, you should start small to experiment with different flavours. A small pipe with a small bowl is good for this purpose.
                I am very used to smoking. I'm excited to try this with my little wooden pipe once I can dry some herbs from my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  Where is a good source to check both desirable and undesirable side effects of smoking a herb?
                  You going to have to look at medicinal herbal books. Smoking herbs can also cause interactions with certain medications as well as side-effects. I suggest if anyone is on any medication, that you consult your pharmacist or doctor before attempting to smoke any herb.
                  As a starter, I suggest looking at the Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevallier.

Comment

Adding to the list, I had the mad idea to smoke rose petals. They were dried, and I've been using them in different rituals and tonics, but never occurred to me to try smoking them. I crushed them up with my pestle and mortar, until it became powder. Putting the powder into my pipe, I didn't know what to expect. Oh, by the gods, the taste is miraculous. Absolutely astounding, and a very clean smoke at that. Was not harsh one bit. Would recommend to everyone.
                    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

what were the affects of the petals?

i was once smoking mugwort and wormwood together and separate. im still looking for a good dreaming mix.

Comment

Working...
                      X