Offer gifts for god/godess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer gifts for god/godess?

Which kind of gifts do you offer to say thank you or to show appreciation to your God/Godess?

I tend to search up a lot on what my God/Godess like, examples: seashells, flowers, special statue animals, food, drinks ....

But what do you do?

Re: Offer gifts for god/godess?

The way I am trying to live my life is my offering to Thor. He values honesty, courage and strength (physical and inner), and self-reliance above all. Actually, the Nine Noble Virtues pretty much sum up what I (try to) offer to him. I offer my weight training and strength goals to him... as well as the occasional horn of mead or ale.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
      The way I am trying to live my life is my offering to Thor. He values honesty, courage and strength (physical and inner), and self-reliance above all. Actually, the Nine Noble Virtues pretty much sum up what I (try to) offer to him. I offer my weight training and strength goals to him... as well as the occasional horn of mead or ale.
      I understand, one of my Godess is Aphrodite and I try to live up to what she values, however I guess being a very social person, loves romance, is bisexual and much more we share many things, not that Aphrodite was a biesexual

Comment

I'm not able to practice openly most of the time, so offerings on a formal altar are not really an option. ^-^;

That being said, typically I will typically offer food offerings with rice, salt and tea, and things of that manner, when I have an altar. These are a way of offering thanks to the Kami, and to ancestral Kami more specifically on events such as Obon, in August.

Comment

It depends on the god or goddess, but fruit, wine, and flowers are the most common things for me.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

At the beginning of the main meal I lay aside a very small portion for the Lar, Penates, and Vesta, but this is not an everyday thing. Whenever I feel inclined I burn incense for them and also Janus.

Comment

Usually salt, wine (or other kind of alcohol - mead, ale, scotch), fresh fruit, baked goods, or part of myself.

Edit: Oh, and incense.

Mostly art.

Comment

I usually offer incense and oils or lambs blood.
                "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

My go-to is fruit of some kind. I've made bread for them before too.

I also try and listen out for 'dings'. So, one time I wanted to make an offering to Freya and I'd read she liked apples. So I went to buy some nice ones from the green grocer (bit more expensive, but at least 10 times better than the ones in the supermarket). But when I got there, these huge oranges caught my attention and I just sort of knew that would be a better choice.

I'm fairly headblind these days, so I don't know if I always get it right. But I like to leave the offering up to the Gods.

Comment

Work.

Generally speaking, picking up litter. Sometimes, other stuff.

Occasionally flowers, food, etc.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I usually pick up random stuff when I'm out walking my dog; flowers, leaves, rocks (usually quartz), feathers, whatever calls out to me I'll also light candles and very occasionally light incense.

Comment

Skuld gets blood, energy from devotional practices, the burning of a particular scented votive candle that She 'helped' me pick out and sometimes rosebuds. I also work pretty hard at tending the rosebushes in my rented yard at Her behest. Barbatos gets tears, emotion and the energy, devotion and passion that I have for animals, for my patients and for my own feathered babies. Other Demons get artwork. Animal guides get artwork and share in the energy, devotion and passion that I have for animals, my patients etc. Frigg gets housework and the work that I am doing to get my household in order. The landvaettir get work - gardening, watering, tidying litter - and acknowledgement. The Runespirits get blood.

Comment

Wow really interesting to read how we all in many ways are similar, but still different I always think t is nice when we put time into knowing the ones we are dealing with, when it comes to offer gifts

And for another question what do you do with the offer gifts afterwards?

For me it depends greatly on what I offer and to whom.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
                            Wow really interesting to read how we all in many ways are similar, but still different I always think t is nice when we put time into knowing the ones we are dealing with, when it comes to offer gifts

It depends on the setting. If I'm near a fire, the fire eats it. If I'm in the comfort of my own home, I eat it, or (and thal is gonna give me a lecture on this one) I put it outside for the foxes and ravens (if it's food they can eat, that is)

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post

The incense and oils waste up on their own, but I always dig a hole in the forest and pour the blood there when it begins to curdle or emit a faint displeasing odor. If anything else happens to be offered other than already said, it gets buried too.
                              "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Working...
                              X