Patron deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patron deity

I'm new to paganism. I'm pretty sure some god or goddess wants me to do something, considering how fortunate I've been recently. How do I tell who? I don't even know what pantheon to look at... I have only faint ideas about how this paganism stuff works.

Re: Patron deity

I guess I'm a little confused... Why do you think a god or goddess wants you to do something? If you've been receiving good fortune, that's great! I'm happy for you But I don't think it necessarily means you were given it with an expectation that you have to do something... That's just my perspective, I could very well be wrong.

You could give thanks for your good luck to some Deity that calls out to you though, if you wanted. Picking out the deity to give thanks to... that's something you have to figure out for yourself. In your shoes, I'd do a lot of research first on any pantheons and individual deities that I felt drawn too and then meditating to try and contact the deities to see if we 'click'.

Comment

If a Power has a plan for you then either they'll inform you or they'll just throw relevant matters at you to move you along. There's no real need and several good reasons not to go actively looking for destiny. Be who you are, act as you feel is right and let destiny take care of itself.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just say thank you to the universe at large...it can sort out where it goes from there.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AchUndKrach View Post
          I'm new to paganism. I'm pretty sure some god or goddess wants me to do something, considering how fortunate I've been recently. How do I tell who? I don't even know what pantheon to look at... I have only faint ideas about how this paganism stuff works.
          I would look around and study different deities to see if any deities click, as well as consider any deities that just seem to come up. I would echo that I am not sure that good fortune automatically means that a deity wants you to do something or serve them in a specific manner, but I would say that giving thanks like some have suggested here is definitely a good idea. Perhaps not even to a specific deity, but simply acknowledging the blessings which have been bestowed upon you in life. :3

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you think that a deity wishes you to do something? Any other signs than good fortune?

Comment

He, she or they probably just want you to "pay it forward". I once asked the question how do I know which deity it was that helped me with something so I could return thanks to him or her. I don't think it really matters who it was, because by paying it forward or paying it back, that often honors very many of them.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Since it is apparent that you believe in a plurality of the divine and feel that a deity wants you to perform some pious action because of a blessing, you are already at the beginning of somethingInterpretatio Romana I say, "Jove is known to the Hellenes as Zeus and Sol is known to the Egyptians as Ra." If polytheism is what you find yourself aligned with, you will hold to one of those three forms of it, or perhaps something different. Knowing which of those three forms seems right to you might guide you in how you approach deities and whom you approach. But if polytheism is something you find too complex, there is always duotheism, the belief in a universal god and a goddess. Some duotheists believe all cultural goddesses are representations of their one goddess and that all cultural gods are representations of their one god.

I hope this is helpful. My apologies for the length.

Comment

Working...
              X