Herbal Medicine Sources for Fantasy Novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbal Medicine Sources for Fantasy Novel

I have in mind an idea to write a fantasy novel, and with it being fantasy, they would know doubt use herbs and other natural ingredients to heal people when they got sick. While the focus of the novel isn't on healing aspects, it would be nice to have some background knowledge on the subject. Can anyone recommend me some decent books on this subject? Books on history of medicine, or reference guides would be welcome. Books dealing with magic or witchcraft are okay, provided that the focal point is on the medicines themselves, and not the magical aspect.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Herbal Medicine Sources for Fantasy Novel

Since you are looking for a historical context, Mrs. Grieve's Herbal is a good start for individual herbs and their uses...its a relatively modern traditional herbal, and most of it can be found free online. There's also Nicholas Culpeper's work from the lat 1700's, The English Physician--its also online.

Also (one you'd have to buy used I think), Green Pharmacy: The History and Evolution of Western Herbal Medicine by Barbara Griggs is supposed to be good, but I've not read it yet.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I know this is late in replying, but thank you very much! I checked those out and they look quite helpful. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Comment

I had some links, if you don't care about the historicalness of them.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
          I had some links, if you don't care about the historicalness of them.
          Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Comment

Working...
          X