Salamander Symbolism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salamander Symbolism

(Hey, I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so if this isn't the right one, I offer my most sincere apologies.)

Recently, on the last new moon, after performing an informal ritual, I had a vision of a salamander accompanied by music (it was an instrumental piece that sounded somewhat similar to the song "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys, but I digress). What made this especially significant was that I had planned to do some divination on the new moon with an animal-based oracle deck. The last time I worked with the Tarot I had a strong feeling that I should switch to a deck based on animal symbolism, so my plan was to by this particular deck and break it out on the new moon. As things went, though, I completely forgot that it was the new new moon, and never bought the deck, yet despite this I had a vision of an animal.

I've read a little bit online about the symbolism of salamanders: that their amphibious nature represents a bridge between the elements of water and earth; that being nocturnal they are associated with dreams and the unconscious; that because they regenerate limbs, and because they go through changes from birth to adulthood, they can be symbolic of transformation and rebirth. I just wanted to open up a conversation about any further symbolism any of you might have associated with salamanders, and personal experiences with salamander totems, et cetera.

Also, for clarification, the sort of salamander I saw in my vision appeared to be a grey "mudpuppy". (I would post a picture but the forum is telling me that I'm not allowed to post links, but a quick visit to google or wikipedia will show you what I mean).

Re: Salamander Symbolism

I can't say I've had much experience with The Salamander being a familiar of mine, but I know some of it's meanings. When it presents itself to a lot of folks, it's usually to demonstrate balance in ones life and to choose life opportunities wisely. It also sometimes ask the person it's reaching out to, to be open to new ways of dealing with changes. It's symbolism can go even deeper when it comes to meanings, some of these can also be: Resourcefulness, Secrets, Transition, Awareness, and Spirituality.

It could be possible that The Salamander is one of your familiars, and wants you to recognize this. I'm unsure if this is your first dream with a salamander or not, so I can't be certain that's the case. Did you have a particular feeling during the dream, or did you wake up with a feeling of anything?
    Your best bet, is by going with your intuition of the dreams meaning is. When familiars present themselves to us, it's usually a sign that we need to connect with our instinct more so.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Comment

Thank you for the correction, I misread.

Well, my suggestion to you, would be to read more on The Salamander and reach out to it. The best way to reach familiars when they aren't reaching out to us, from my experience, is through meditation and research. And if anyone else here at PF has experiences with The Salamander, I'm sure they'll be more informative.
        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by Yex View Post
          I've read a little bit online about the symbolism of salamanders: that their amphibious nature represents a bridge between the elements of water and earth; that being nocturnal they are associated with dreams and the unconscious; that because they regenerate limbs, and because they go through changes from birth to adulthood, they can be symbolic of transformation and rebirth. I just wanted to open up a conversation about any further symbolism any of you might have associated with salamanders, and personal experiences with salamander totems, et cetera.
          You'll be able to post links after so many posts, I can't remember what the number is now though...

I've always associated the salamander with fire, and after reading your explanation, it does make a lot more sense for water and earth... I had to think for a bit where I got the fire association from and then I remembered that one of the earlier books I read, What Witches Do, by Stewart Farrar, listed the fire elemental as a Salamander. I did a Google search and Wikipedia had some interesting stuff on the 'legendary' salamander as opposed to the real one.

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with the traditional association of the Salamander with the element of fire. My gut feeling is that in this particular instance, the vision was more of a "real" salamander than a "legendary" one or a fire elemental.

Comment

Oh, okay! I just thought I'd mention it

Comment

Hey Yex !
                Seems like I've seen you before; yes/no ?
                Gentle Light
                MsMollimizz
                P.S. I've been thinking about offering
                reading here, but wonder if I should
                post a few more posts so they get an
                idea of who I am ? Your thoughts ?

Comment

Working...
                X