Choosing your "witch" name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing your "witch" name...

I've seen a few things around the internet about this, having a special name for the spiritual aspect of the religion, but I'm not sure what to trust or how to go about it. I'm not talking like social media quizzes they make for high schoolers or middle aged housewives. I mean like actually seriously going through the process to choose the name that feels right. Any of the more experienced out there, if you have any tips or reliable sites I would greatly appreciate it. I'd really like to see if this is something for me.
    (user formerly known as beckly_freckly)

You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.

Re: Choosing your "witch" name...

There are many different ways in which you can go about choosing one. Some tips I can suggest:
    - Something that it sacred to you or your traditions (example: flora, fauna, etc)
    - Something from your childhood that is close to your heart
    - Something that invokes a special kind of power within yourself
    - A name that shows hereditary/ancestral reverence
    - A name to show respect to a familiar
    - A name that reflects your chosen path

My witch name, Mother West, came about from something in my childhood.

I hope this helps in some way.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

My "witch name" is Faery's Moonshine. I took it when I did my dedication ritual almost 13 years ago... man I am getting old. The point of my magickal name for me was it represented a new me. A 'rebirth" we will say as I was beginning my path as a pagan. A name that pagans and other like minded individuals would know me by.

First I started with what a name represents? For me a name defines a person. Ever met a bunch of Michael's or Ashley's? I always feel they are very similar in behavior. They might not look alike but they act alike. What do you want yours to represent?
      What characteristics does it show about you?
      And I would take what OldMotherWest said and combine it. It can be whatever you want. I also didn't go through I site when I did mine at the time I had a book by Silver Raven Wolf called To Ride a Silver Broomstick. This was a book my mother picked out for me. Very informative for a solitary practitioner.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

My name came from my personal god Anubis. I.e. Anubisa. Before I became an Egyptian Wiccan, I was a Celtic Wiccan and I named myself Silver Melusine after one of my favorite colors and a favorite Celtic goddess. You can name yourself or wait for a personal god to help name you. Good luck!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I thought i needed one growing up, eventually i gave up thinking that, and concentrated on my craft. Eventually it just came and stuck. LunarDream, because somehow in every dream i have the moon is the focus. Thats literally all i did to get mine !

Comment

I think it's cool to have a craft name that is meaningful. Mine is Walkingman. It's kind of a tongue in cheek type of name. I've been carless these last 20 years and when I'm not taking the bus, I'm walking.

Comment

Not all witches really need a witch name. It's alright to not have one. It's just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone but I think they sound utterly ridiculous. My name is Abigail, and my nickname is Abby. My name really doesn't have much to do with my path. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
              Last edited by Serria; 15 Feb 2015, 09:54.
              A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

My name was a gift from my patron Goddess, so I hold it very dear to my heart; I treasure it as an integral part of me. I don't share it and only I and the Gods know it, as I don't trust people to understand or respect it.

As others have said, you don't have to have a witch name, but I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing one. In my opinion, having a name is beneficial in that it is a type of rebirth; tying your sense of self to your chosen path at a very deep level. Thinking it or hearing my personal Deities refer to me as it, gives me an instant power boost, or an instant connection to the magickal side of me.

For me, when I got mine, it was one of my most memorable and powerful moments since I've become a practicing witch.

Like Anubisa said, you can either name yourself or ask your personal Deity (or Deities) to name you. OldMotherWestWind had some great suggestions in her post for if you wanted to go the naming yourself route.

I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

I don't have a religiously derived witchy name, I have a nom de plume...
                  “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                  ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                  ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Ummmm,Nom noms...pass the sauce...chicken mcalmost chicken
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've always love the day Wednesday (and partly the Addams family) lots of event just happen to fall on that day and I later found out it was a Pagan day. It is also my legal middle name.

Comment

Working...
                      X