Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Environmental Pollution, the thread...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Environmental Pollution, the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Briton View Post
    "is it possible for the western world to have industry and still meet its targets?"
    Absolutely.

BUT.

It requires changes in infrastructure--physical, organizational, and ideological, of both the corporate environment and society itself.

For starters:

1. The bottom line has to be sustainability before stock prices
    2. Companies have to invest in changing their efficiency standards and their energy sources
    3. Companies have to be held fiscally responsible for their own actions and the prior actions of companies they buy out
    4. Consumers have to invest time and energy into verifying business practices (or create platforms that can do this for them)
    Last edited by thalassa; 06 Apr 2016 at 10:16.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

All in a song from the way back(think 70's)

- - - Updated - - -

Found better version of video.

- - - Updated - - -

And that lead me to this,one of my all time favorites.

And it might be on topic in a strange way
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

^^^ I have both those 45's. LOL

Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

When we were all so naive about the planet in peril....
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Quick! Find a bucket!

Definition: Investor - somebody who puts money into a company, expecting to get more money back. This includes not just rich people, but people who are retired, and living off their pension, 401k, etc., or who intend to at some future date.

1. The bottom line has to be sustainability before stock prices - this means that investors have to be in for the long haul, not the quick profit.

2. Companies have to invest in changing their efficiency standards and their energy sources
    - this means that investors have to be willing to settle for less money than they could be making.

3. Companies have to be held fiscally responsible for their own actions and the prior actions of companies they buy out - again, this means that investors will have to be satisfied with less money.

4. Consumers* have to invest time and energy into verifying business practices (or create platforms that can do this for them) - which means that everybody will have to be willing to get by on less.

*Consumer - another word for "everybody." We need to stop thinking of these things as problems forced on us by the wealthy, and face up to the fact that we have created the monster that consumes us. We have met the enemy, and it is us.
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

FREE AMERIKA: Karma is a nasty lady in a pantsuit

"If even half of what people say about God is true, the sociopath should be executed." - Phineas Thindick

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Absolutely.

BUT.

It requires changes in infrastructure--physical, organizational, and ideological, of both the corporate environment and society itself.

For starters:

1. The bottom line has to be sustainability before stock prices
    3. Companies have to be held fiscally responsible for their own actions and the prior actions of companies they buy out
    4. Consumers have to invest time and energy into verifying business practices (or create platforms that can do this for them)
    Agreed, this was what I was getting at.

And I can't see it happening. Certainly not outside of the odd maverick business.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Where I live, we are still coming to terms with horrific scarring of the landscape while trying to prevent yet more pollution. We have for example, an extremely toxic waste dump not far away, which the Council place on top of one of the very few stone circles in the UK. So not only did it allow toxic waste to be dumped there, but it lost forever a place of great historical and archaeological importance. And then there are the local allotments, placed on the mountainside just below the largest cemetery in the valley. Can you imagine what is getting into the soil - and probably the produce - there? Hence my reluctance to accept vegetables grown there. Course the veg I'm eating might be just as contaminated from another source... it would be really lovely if these companies and individuals, who made a fortune from wrecking the land, we forced, at their own expense to put it right.
    Ah well, I can dream...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

That reminds me of "Love canal" here in the US.

Story here.

From Site.
    Quite simply, Love Canal is one of the most appalling environmental tragedies in American history.

Site is for the EPA..

- - - Updated - - -

Found,and it echos something I said..

See Here.

From site.
    "Key to Surviving Extinction May Be: Live Fast, Die Young"
    Mark Twain

Apr 2017
    Religion
    Islam

There are many elements in our environment.Air,water,soil,etc are such elements.They are essential for the environment as well as human being.