This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental Pollution, the thread...

Oh, look...there goes my favorite food...

(I have lots to say on this topic, but I need to get back to work)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Environmental Pollution, the thread...

Not really pollution per say (although its another side effect): Manquakes*

*I hereby announce an alteration to the term "earthquake"--no longer are we referring to what is quaking, but *what the primary mover is in making it quake*. Plate-tectonics and other earth-driven geological caused quakes=earthquake; fracking=manquake.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I myself have my eye on the pork shortage,and the chicken shortage. Chicken(and Maybe Turkey) from bird flu,and another bug killing young pigs.

http://kcur.org/post/spreading-virus...thousands-pigs

And the bird flu thing.

Over 7 million turkeys and chickens euthanized in Midwest this year from bird flu outbreak

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ove...eak/ar-AAbCxH8

So,maybe,just maybe we will be eating ground up bugs to get our protein.

I mention this because I thing changing patterns in weather and temps can effect the disease factor allowing them to grow more quickly.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        So,maybe,just maybe we will be eating ground up bugs to get our protein.
        Lisa Simpson's brief bug-eating episode springs to mind. The grasshoppers... oh the grasshoppers..

Ahem... and back to environmental pollution. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Not really pollution per say (although its another side effect): Manquakes*

*I hereby announce an alteration to the term "earthquake"--no longer are we referring to what is quaking, but *what the primary mover is in making it quake*. Plate-tectonics and other earth-driven geological caused quakes=earthquake; fracking=manquake.
          To say nothing of the sink holes that open up above old mines. Detroit is built over extensive salt mines. I'm waiting for it to sink into the earth and vanish.

P.S. The PC term would be personquake. This is the 21st century, after all.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Detroit gone? That wouldn't be so bad to be honest. Well, unless you live in Detroit.
            "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
            And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
            They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
            The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
            - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
              Detroit gone? That wouldn't be so bad to be honest. Well, unless you live in Detroit.
              LOL - have you been to Detroit? There is some good stuff there, although you'll never see that in the movies.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Mmmm Detroit. The smell of pollution, and on occasion, if the night is right... Burning cars, oh yum. If you listen hard enough, you can hear the gun shots and the angry drivers stuck in traffic. So precious.
                - Finn's Saga

Comment

Mmmm Detroit. The smell of pollution, and on occasion, if the night is right... Burning cars, oh yum. If you listen hard enough, you can hear the gun shots and the angry drivers stuck in traffic. So precious.
                  Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, African-American Museum, Museum of the Detroit Historical Society, New Center, Wayne State University, Center for Creative Studies, Greek Town, Eastern Market Place, Fisher Theater, Bonstell Theater, as well as numerous smaller theaters, like The Attic Theater, the Detroit River (excellent example of a dead, polluted urban river brought back to life - record sturgeon are caught there these days, as well as salmon and lake trout, Belle Isle, Scripts-Whitcomb Conservatory, Dossin Maritime Museum, and more that I can't think of off hand...

Don't believe everything you see on TV. Every large city has bad parts. Detroit is no different.

Comment

I like to joke. Many good things have come from Detroit. Like the plague for example.
                    No but seriously, it is nicer than people set it out to be.
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

I like to joke. Many good things have come from Detroit. Like the plague for example.
                      No but seriously, it is nicer than people set it out to be.

's OK - I didn't take offense. Even those of us who come from there will joke about it, but it is also good to remember that there are good things - there, as there are everywhere.

I miss the cultural aspects - a lot. But I don't like being in big cities more than I miss the high culture, so I make due in hillbilly heaven.

Comment

Agricultural pollution:

Pigs Poop

Cows Fart (plus fracking)

Chicken poop (and a solution for what to do with poop)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Agricultural pollution:

Pigs Poop

Cows Fart (plus fracking)

Chicken poop (and a solution for what to do with poop)
                          You might want to check this out: Mycelium Running

And this is interesting too - I found a culture of this for sale

Comment

Here's some info on what one can do with the plastic eating fungi...

A Mini Farm That Produces Food From Plastic-Eating Mushrooms

The Austrian designer partnered with Julia Kaisinger and Utrecht University to develop a system that cultivates edible plastic-digesting fungi. That’s right, you can eat mushrooms that eat plastic. In 2012, researchers at Yale University discovered a variety of mushroom (Pestalotiopsis microspora) that is capable of breaking down polyurethane. It kicked off a craze of research exploring how various forms of fungi can degrade plastic without retaining the toxicity of the material. The findings got Unger thinking: What if we could turn an environmental problem (waste) into an environmental solution (food)?
                            I'd buy a culture to play with, if it weren't so expensive. Any amateur scientists want to go halvsies?

Comment

The trouble of PCBs (which show up in fish oil supplements)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X