Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Environmental Pollution, the thread...

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Absolutely.

BUT.

It requires changes in infrastructure--physical, organizational, and ideological, of both the corporate environment and society itself.

For starters:

1. The bottom line has to be sustainability before stock prices
    2. Companies have to invest in changing their efficiency standards and their energy sources
    3. Companies have to be held fiscally responsible for their own actions and the prior actions of companies they buy out
    4. Consumers have to invest time and energy into verifying business practices (or create platforms that can do this for them)
    Agreed, this was what I was getting at.

And I can't see it happening. Certainly not outside of the odd maverick business.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Where I live, we are still coming to terms with horrific scarring of the landscape while trying to prevent yet more pollution. We have for example, an extremely toxic waste dump not far away, which the Council place on top of one of the very few stone circles in the UK. So not only did it allow toxic waste to be dumped there, but it lost forever a place of great historical and archaeological importance. And then there are the local allotments, placed on the mountainside just below the largest cemetery in the valley. Can you imagine what is getting into the soil - and probably the produce - there? Hence my reluctance to accept vegetables grown there. Course the veg I'm eating might be just as contaminated from another source... it would be really lovely if these companies and individuals, who made a fortune from wrecking the land, we forced, at their own expense to put it right.
      Ah well, I can dream...
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

That reminds me of "Love canal" here in the US.

Story here.

From Site.
        Quite simply, Love Canal is one of the most appalling environmental tragedies in American history.

Site is for the EPA..

- - - Updated - - -

Found,and it echos something I said..

See Here.

From site.
        "Key to Surviving Extinction May Be: Live Fast, Die Young"
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This is kind of disturbing.

The site.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

353 pages of what will happen if we continue to do nothing with business-as-usual
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

As Detroit was mentioned in this thread, I would like to point out a building in Detroit that would make a very good preservation. Detroit Central Station. Here are some Pictures. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...7F&FORM=IQFRBA

Comment

[post deleted my user]
                Last edited by Guest; 28 Sep 2021, 00:16.

Comment

[post deleted my user]
                  Last edited by Guest; 28 Sep 2021, 00:12.

Comment

So apparently, every once in a great while, humanity can pay enough attention to scientists raising alarms to get off its *** and do something useful.

Recent UN data shows that 99 percent of ozone-destroying chemicals have been phased out, underscoring a hopeful environmental story.

We still have several dozen other areas where we're screwing up globally but I'll take a win when I can get one.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      So apparently, every once in a great while, humanity can pay enough attention to scientists raising alarms to get off its *** and do something useful.

Recent UN data shows that 99 percent of ozone-destroying chemicals have been phased out, underscoring a hopeful environmental story.

We still have several dozen other areas where we're screwing up globally but I'll take a win when I can get one.
                      Only when it presents an imminent danger to the interests of those in power. The ozone layer hole could have spelled doom for many powerful corporations and industry lobbies.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
                        Only when it presents an imminent danger to the interests of those in power. The ozone layer hole could have spelled doom for many powerful corporations and industry lobbies.
                        That's an absolutely wonderful example, IMO. First... because, as I think we can all agree, it was a real thing which really showed that real human action could make a difference.

There really was a hole, "we" saw that, and "we" fixed it. "We" continue to have many other problems, but we nailed that one. It's a proof of concept for more ambitious proposals.
                        Last edited by Rhythm; 30 Nov 2023, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                        X