I don't want my baby he has down syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want my baby he has down syndrome

As some of you know I just lost someone very dear to me with Down Syndrome, coming across this article infuriates me! All I see is red. I don't get it! It completely disgusts me. You have been blessed with something special and because its not perfect in your eyes you get rid of it?

High five to dad though! I am going to donate money.

When Samuel Forrest heard a baby crying from outside his wife's hospital room, he knew his life would change forever.

- - - Updated - - -

I also know that having a child with special needs is expensive and laborious. It can be challenging and aggravating but its also beautiful and wonderful. Some of the best people out there have special needs. It hurts for me to see something like this. That someone could just walk away...
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: I don't want my baby he has down syndrome

What really makes me angry, is that this is apparently common practice in Argentina. (Did I get the country right? I read about this earlier.) The doctor offer to take the baby away as soon as they realize it's special needs. The parent aren't at all encouraged to adjust or cope in order to keep the child. No help is offered. Etc.

But. I honestly don't know what I would have done if my daughter had been born with some significant and obvious disability. I have a really hard time being patient with people with disabilities and I don't think I could give a child with an extreme disability a "good" life. It's not fair, but I don't have the patience or understanding. I'm working on it, but I unfortunately think I would have found someone to adopt the child, if that had been the case. And that's with the support and encouragement I know I would have gotten from family and friends if my daughter had been born disabled. I couldn't even fathom what would have happened if I had been born and raised in a country with a culture that has that high of a disdain for special needs.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I wonder what kind of govt help there is for parents with children of special needs in Argentina. That's important to know to be honest.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I just keep thinking about how many people out there want kids, in whatever beautiful form they come, and can't have them.

Comment

This makes me feel like a bad person, but...

A long time ago, I dated someone with ADHD and dyslexia. Both his mother and father had it. And we used to get into these screaming fights, because I didn't want to have children with him, because I didn't want children that were dyslexic. I'm less of an asshole now, but I basically still feel the same inside. And dyslexia isn't even that bad.

And with saying that, I want to mention that I thought my dog was mostly blind when I adopted him this summer. Turns out he just had untreated pannus, and his eyes are almost fine now (with treatment), but...I was willing to love a blind dog, and I can't bring myself to fathom loving a disabled child. ...even though I've met plenty of disabled people who are actually pretty nice. I still can't.

You can hate me now.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            I just keep thinking about how many people out there want kids, in whatever beautiful form they come, and can't have them.
            While I understand that...and to be the voice of dissent for purposes of discussion (because honestly I don't care about kids personally) there are a lot of people who can have dairy but can't get it. That doesn't mean because someone is allergic to dairy they should be forced to drink it.

In essence...other people's issues are not to be taken into consideration when it comes to my issues.

Discuss!

Comment

It used to be pretty common practice to institutionalize them. Even JFK's sister was lobotomized and so on. You'd think we'd be better by now, at helping those less fortunate.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't care how much government help you get if you have a child with special needs. If you can't afford a child don't have one. They are expensive regardless if they are special needs or not.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

I read this article earlier today, it seems like this is common practice in Argentina, to offer to take the Down's syndrome baby and put it in an orphanage.... It's absolutely abhorrent to us here in the us, but having a child with Down's somewhere where there is no support structure, no education about disabilities, where people have limited contact with disabled people. I don't like at they do this, but I sorta get the stigma, I get the fear of what you don't understand.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Unfortunately I don't care how much government help you get if you have a child with special needs. If you can't afford a child don't have one. They are expensive regardless if they are special needs or not.
                    While I agree with the general sentiment, just to play devil's advocate here...

Not everyone has a choice about having a child. People in countries without abortion, for instance. People who belong to religions without abortion. You can make the argument of abstaining, but there will always be rape victims and the such. Basically, what I'm saying, is that there are people out there who didn't get to choose to have sex, and now can't choose to have an abortion.

It's just not that simple.

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't hate anyone, I'v tried lol but my family has a history of ADHD, ADD, and Dyslexia, my mother suffers from ADHD and all her younger siblings have Dyslexia. That being said none of the children of my aunts, uncles, or mother have dyslexia. We have one with ADD. It is a huge undertaking to raise a child with special needs. You will sacrifice a ton but I think its worth it.

I know at one time it was common to hide them away. That they shouldn't been seen because it looked bad on the family. I call those people cowards. This is just as bad no I say worse then getting rid of you girl child in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      While I agree with the general sentiment, just to play devil's advocate here...

Not everyone has a choice about having a child. People in countries without abortion, for instance. People who belong to religions without abortion. You can make the argument of abstaining, but there will always be rape victims and the such. Basically, what I'm saying, is that there are people out there who didn't get to choose to have sex, and now can't choose to have an abortion.

It's just not that simple.
                      Now with the rape victims and not being allowed to have an abortion I do agree you should not be made to keep that child. I also very firmly believe in pro-choice. My main issue with this whole thing is the child was planned and wanted UNTIL she found out he had down syndrome.

Comment

This sentiment is sort of new actually. Hawkfeathers is right here, thee isn't a ton of data or information about older people with Down's for a reason, they didn't used to live very long, people pretty much let them die if there was anything wrong with them besides the basics of Down's. Institutionalization wasn't pleasant or really helpful for people. Frankly thinking that they have to deal with it is a little bit spoiled. If you come from a place where getting food from day to day is difficult, having a regular kid is likely expected of you, having a special needs kid could kill you. It could get you expelled from the community. There is obviously stigma there, now you are stuck with it. There is a reason that the father has to return to New Zealand for support, he can't nessecarily raise a special needs child where he is living, his wife had no problem not keeping the child after she carried it for 9 months and she was willing to leave her husband because he wanted to keep it... Think of the mental attitude that has to go along with being willing to make that decision. If this is normal precise in an Argentinian hospital, imagine how many times people had to just be used to giving up their babies for adoption in order for this story to be the odd one out.
                        I don't like it, I have a serious problem with it, but I get why it's a thing. My social norm isn't nessecarily going to be someone else's...

there are several tests which can be done early in a pregnancy to help determine your risk of carrying a baby with Down's. These tests may not be available in Argentina, but would it be better if she had known the baby was going to be disabled and had planned to get rid of it(I don't know the abortion legality in Argentina)

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Side note its Armenia. Eastern Europe.

Comment

Side note its Armenia. Eastern Europe.
                            Gotcha my bad! I remembered it wrong!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well I'm almost sure that being able to support a child and support a special needs child probably has a very wide gap in financial need there. Again I can't judge this person especially coming from another country. I have no idea how things work there. What kind of support they have there etc. I mean I just read an article that Venezuela has a shortage in condoms causing birth rates and hiv infection to rise. We have no idea what's going on in other countries. When you can't get food or clean water in some places...this is what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X