Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conversion? Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion? Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

Hail fellow folk,
    I wanted to know the opinion at large on conversion. I know it's a touchy subject to some. Many feel the need to preserve our numbers into a pure breed system. I myself, come from a large and rich background of heathenistic beliefs. I have studied the lore, and followings for the majority of my life. I have a small following with some local folk, who I introduced my belief system to, and who took accustomed to it rather quickly. In these times, our numbers have started to grow at an alarming rate. I want to know what your opinions are on conversion at large.
    I came up with my own anti-baptism ritual for one of my folk, who felt tainted by the invocations of his past. He willingly allowed me to perform it on him, and felt lifted of a "poisonous snake." But in your opinions, is this right for me to do such a thing? I feel almost hypocritical, for the Christians power of conversion was a sickening and destructive ordeal. I would never convert against anyone's will, but is it better for us to search for new folk, or let them come to us?
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Conversion? Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

HAIL! *bashes sword against shield*

I am also a "Vocal Pagan" (the term I have taken to the belief that informing and teaching others is good rather than keeping our beliefs to ourselves) and also I think of ceremonies to be performed, rarely akin to an "anti-baptism" but still, my opinion on these ceremonies we create in order to praise the gods and allow certain passages of our life (a coming of age ceremony for example) is "would the gods approve and is it a logical ceremony?" if the answer is yes, I write down the ceremony, if the answer is no, I feel like I crossed a line and that it was a rambling of my imagination, not meant to be used for anything. (I'm not making up my own religion, I usually only make ceremonies for things ceremonies do not exist for but ceremonies ought to exist for and I'm not super strict about the ceremonies either.)

I say, bring up this issue to other people, if they take interest, as long as you never bring up "you should convert" (if you talk to a missionary of Christianity long enough, they usually will bring that up) and they say afterwards "wow that actually makes a lot of sense" maybe invite them to hang out with you guys or give them a few poems from the Edda to read, if they are truly interested and the gods are with them, they will choose to convert. Bottom line: let them choose.

I also recommend you teach other people to be priests akin to you (it gets a little cult like if you're the only person leading worship or ceremonies.) I encourage you to send me a private message about this, I'd love to discuss this with you further as a Norse Pagan Church in the States is something I'd love to see realized.

Comment

You'll never find me out thumping the Edda's asking people if they've allowed All-father Odin into their lives but I don't have a problem being vocal about what I believe. I'm constantly on the look-out for like minded individuals but I'm not out saying 'hey man, you should come worship Thorr; he's the best!'. I think that always being honest and open about my worldview is the best way to go. I'll discuss it if asked, or if I feel that it is incredibly relevant to the topic at hand. Otherwise, I tend to let my actions speak for me about what I believe.
      "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

I don't search people out, but if the subject of belief comes up I let them know what I believe (and what I don't believe, like all that gross racism stuff).

I think conversation is much better than conversion. Conversion is what you to do someone to force them onto a path that isn't really theirs to tread. As it stands, people who are of a like mind usually end up around me anyway so it's never been much of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
          I don't search people out, but if the subject of belief comes up I let them know what I believe (and what I don't believe, like all that gross racism stuff).

I think conversation is much better than conversion. Conversion is what you to do someone to force them onto a path that isn't really theirs to tread. As it stands, people who are of a like mind usually end up around me anyway so it's never been much of an issue.

Basically, this. Being vocal is excellent but definitely we shouldn't sink to proselytizing.

Comment

Working...
          X