Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candles - how often, what for, what type and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candles - how often, what for, what type and why?

I use candles as reminders of intention.

Because humans generally (and me personally) have a certain healthy respect for fire. So...when I have candles lit I am apt to pay more attention. Also they are beautiful and can so easily be festive as well.

I often use the tall candles in glass to burn during holy days or to represent a particular intention. I write and draw on the glass with sharpie to individualize the candle. I buy Jewish memorial candles for similar use. They are available at the grocery store and they burn for 24 hours.

I've used colored chime candles for spells but never really got anywhere with it, and spell work isn't really a part of my trad, but sometimes I use them in particular colors that go along with a particular holy day or event.

I like to keep candles burning constantly for holy days, and 24/7 for three days for the Days of the Dead, but I have pets and am uncomfortable leaving candles unattended if I need to go out. So I have invested in some very nice LED candles that look like real flame. They come in "natural" and in colors and we've found high quality ones that are quite beautiful.

So I keep those "burning" when I must be out, and often just around the room in the evening to set a mood, and help us grow peaceful at the close of a busy/scattered day.

I like beeswax candles when I can get them. I have found soy candles problematic because in my experience they have a tendency to flicker in an almost strobe like manner and cause me extreme headaches. I tried keeping the wicks very closely trimmed, but in about 15 minutes they are at it again. And this with candles from varying sources...so I don't use soy anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      Lol...I'm just a nerd Anu, that's all...

My mom used to tell me growing up, "its not how much you know, its how well you can find something out when you don't"

I just lucked out with a halfway decent memory, that once I find something out, I usually remember it...and if I don't remember the specifics, I remember where I found it out and can find it again.

In the real world, its pretty useless...but if I ever get on Jeopardy...
      Nothing wrong with being a nerd

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        soy farming is pretty awful--especially if its from the US, its all GMOs and pesticides that are banned in Europe
        I didn't know that, thank you. The ones I buy are locally made so I'll email the bloke who makes them and ask. Cheers!

Comment

I typically burn candles as offerings, but occasionally I'll do some candle magic or use a candle to help me meditate.

I mostly use tealights and the occasional votive because they're less expensive and perfect for the short periods of time that I use them. On my altar I have two battery-operated votives that I leave on whenever I'm at home; it's an easy way to let the gods know I'm thinking about them without the risk of burning my house down if I leave them lit by accident.

I generally don't use scented candles because I'm extremely sensitive to fragrances. I do have some vanilla-scented tealights that haven't set me off yet, but I still prefer unscented candles because there's no risk that they'll trigger a migraine.

Comment

I guess things like color, size, scent, etc. all depended on what you're doing at that moment. I always made my God and Goddess candles bigger then all the rest and I usually keep them white and just kind of pure. I just like them that way. I'm a candle-y person. I really like fire so candles and incense are so my thing. It's what my mom gets me for gifts during gift giving holidays.
            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

While the use of candles for me adds greatly to the atmosphere, Living on a boat means I have to be very careful so I only use them during periods of meditation or when I make offerings and as soon as my ritual is over I extinguish the flame.

For prolonged mood setting I use an Oil lamp which is secured on a gimbal so can be left unattended for a short while.

Comment

Working...
              X