• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Are you relying on Petrie's work?
    No,

Unfortunately, I lost all my reference material over the years and specific have been becoming hard and harder to recall. My X wife took my last binder and was left with only random stuff I had stored online, but that was mainly my own ramblings and not the references, I will be getting more material as I settle back down and get back to making the reference to the specific stories, I have not had a need for them for over 10 years now. For know all I can say is that it is their, you just have to hunt for it. I will be hunting again for them myself soon. I want to have my own collection back.

Comment

You're sure the sons of Mil were really Celtic?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

You're sure the sons of Mil were really Celtic?
        That can be debated on if they were when they first conquer the Dannan or if they were assimilated later on. It depends if you take their origin from pre-Rome Spain or from Egypt. However, by the time the Christian faith came to the isles they certainly were.

Comment

Originally posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
          That can be debated on if they were when they first conquer the Dannan or if they were assimilated later on. It depends if you take their origin from pre-Rome Spain or from Egypt. However, by the time the Christian faith came to the isles they certainly were.
          This is all rather vague for the discussion really. Maybe a couple of suggested dates and sources would help us???

Comment

Now it sounds like the story of the Britons and how they fled from Troy to found parts of the dynastic influences on England coupled to the tales of the Templars and their great fleet and its treasure that might have gone into Scotland or Ireland.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

This is all rather vague for the discussion really. Maybe a couple of suggested dates and sources would help us???
              We are talk a very vague area of thought and research. Almost all of 'Celtic history' was destroyed and you are really only left with piece mealing old legends, myths and half corrupted stories together and trying to interrupt these stories. Feel free to add your own thoughts and view points in regards to the OP's question.

Comment

Maybe this may help a little bit, Tylluan.

Comment

We are talk a very vague area of thought and research. Almost all of 'Celtic history' was destroyed and you are really only left with piece mealing old legends, myths and half corrupted stories together and trying to interrupt these stories. Feel free to add your own thoughts and view points in regards to the OP's question.
                  No, YOU are talking vaguely, claiming academic sources that you have forgotten, lost or had stolen which is fair enough, I appreciate these things happen. But you are talking complete and utter bollocks here. I am not trying to interrupt stories, (did you perhaps mean interpret instead?) merely trying to pin down what you are saying.
                  In order to have a discussion we need to tease out meaning properly, with some sort of method. Not dancing around the fire, saying anything that comes into our heads.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  Maybe this may help a little bit, Tylluan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milesians_(Irish)
                  I'll pm you about this Munin-Hugin!

Comment

No, YOU are talking vaguely, claiming academic sources that you have forgotten, lost or had stolen which is fair enough, I appreciate these things happen. But you are talking complete and utter bollocks here. I am not trying to interrupt stories, (did you perhaps mean interpret instead?) merely trying to pin down what you are saying.
                    So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? You claim I am talking bollocks but have not put up any reference to anything other then the Son of Mil. If you don't know about the Son of Mil, then you haven't even read gods and fighting men, which is even one of the basic reads for Celtic stories.

As far as the spelling, get over yourself, this is not an academic paper.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll pm you about this Munin-Hugin!
                    Interesting you want to complain about me being vague but instead of openly posting your comments on the Son of Mil you will hide them in PM? Who is the one being full of bollocks? I am not the one hiding what they have to say on the subject from the forum.

I find it interesting that you still haven't even posted your own thoughts on the subject yet either, but instead are offering to PM people on the subject. What are you hiding?
                    Last edited by SonoftheWaters; 17 Aug 2015, 02:50.

Comment

So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? You claim I am talking bollocks but have not put up any reference to anything other then the Son of Mil. If you don't know about the Son of Mil, then you haven't even read gods and fighting men, which is even one of the basic reads for Celtic stories.

As far as the spelling, get over yourself, this is not an academic paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting you want to complain about me being vague but instead of openly posting your comments on the Son of Mil you will hide them in PM? Who is the one being full of bollocks? I am not the one hiding what they have to say on the subject from the forum.

I find it interesting that you still haven't even posted your own thoughts on the subject yet either, but instead are offering to PM people on the subject. What are you hiding?

A request for resources is a perfectly reasonable request, particularly when we don't know you, and can't use past interaction as the basis for whether or not we take your claims with a grain of salt, or the whole shaked. Disagreement on what things mean or how one interprets them is reasonable. If something is UPG, or SPG to your specific tradition, say so. We don't need MLA/APA citations here, but giving the source of information that is not common fact is custom here. Being an ass is not. Getting snarky over it, and being snidely insulting other members on the other hand, is not reasonable, and is a violation of forum rules.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        A request for resources is a perfectly reasonable request, particularly when we don't know you, and can't use past interaction as the basis for whether or not we take your claims with a grain of salt, or the whole shaked. Disagreement on what things mean or how one interprets them is reasonable. If something is UPG, or SPG to your specific tradition, say so. We don't need MLA/APA citations here, but giving the source of information that is not common fact is custom here. Being an ass is not. Getting snarky over it, and being snidely insulting other members on the other hand, is not reasonable, and is a violation of forum rules.

I have no problem with that but I am not the one that started being snarky, I apologize if it offend anyone, however I stated that most my stuff has been lost , in the same post offered to research the material if the poster would be specific on what she is requesting the poster has only made a comment on the term Milestone which I did correct to the Son of Mil which is well known to those who study the Celtic faith and the fact that she has yet to post on this topic herself and instead she offers other posters information by pm and she is unwilling to share openly for debate. I can not ask her for references because she offers no explanation of problem or question on my post and then insult my comments by calling them bolluck.

Alright I am done ranting it's a pain type on a phone and I think you get my jest by now

Comment

I have no problem with that but I am not the one that started being snarky, I apologize if it offend anyone, however I stated that most my stuff has been lost , in the same post offered to research the material if the poster would be specific on what she is requesting the poster has only made a comment on the term Milestone which I did correct to the Son of Mil which is well known to those who study the Celtic faith and the fact that she has yet to post on this topic herself and instead she offers other posters information by pm and she is unwilling to share openly for debate. I can not ask her for references because she offers no explanation of problem or question on my post and then insult my comments by calling them bolluck.

Alright I am done ranting it's a pain type on a phone and I think you get my jest by now
                          SonoftheWaters, you are relatively new here, so perhaps you aren't aware of the appropriate way to respond to an administrative directive. Posts in green or turquoise are direct requests from the moderators of the site to calm down and adhere to the site rules. Posts written in red are direct warnings from the administrators of the site, and are ignored or argued with at your peril. If you do not agree with what a moderator or administrator has advised during such a post, the appropriate thing to do is PM them privately and state your case in a polite and humble manner. It is neither seemly nor wise to answer back in a public post.

If you aren't already aware of them, I'd like to point you to the Site Rules, which include some very clear directions about conduct during disagreements and heated discussions. I'll quote the point that is directly relevant to this particular case for your benefit:

• Do not couch personal opinion as fact. You will be called out by community members (this is your only warning). If you make a claim that is extraordinary (ie. unlikely to be commonly accepted or commonly known by our community) either make sure that it is expressed as your opinion or backed up with a link or citation so that members can find more information.
                          Unfortunately, you have complicated the original transgression by publicly answering back rather than accepting the administrative directive with grace. This may have been an honest mistake, and one which I hope you will not make again. If you have any questions about how to respond to potential future staff postings, I encourage you to read the Site Rules or contact a staff member via PM.

Comment

As far as the spelling, get over over yourself ...

If you feel you truly must know, the PM was regarding the fact that even though this is not my area of expertise or spiritual focus, I had taken the time to simply put up a link to some references regarding g the Milesians, and we were taking the discussion to a place that you have not been invited to be a part of. And as for spelling, in this case it is a HUGE deal, because if you type into Google "Mileson" you get a very large amount of links to masons, lawyers, books, and people's Facebook pages, but no links leading to anything relating to Irish lore and mythology. I was only able to find info when I used "sons on Mil", and within those links it was to things about the Milesians with references to them being the tribe of Mil in the text.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                              If you feel you truly must know, the PM was regarding the fact that even though this is not my area of expertise or spiritual focus, I had taken the time to simply put up a link to some references regarding g the Milesians, and we were taking the discussion to a place that you have not been invited to be a part of. And as for spelling, in this case it is a HUGE deal, because if you type into Google "Mileson" you get a very large amount of links to masons, lawyers, books, and people's Facebook pages, but no links leading to anything relating to Irish lore and mythology. I was only able to find info when I used "sons on Mil", and within those links it was to things about the Milesians with references to them being the tribe of Mil in the text.
                              I do apologize for using the term Mileson and not Son of Mil, this was out of habit and not intended to miss lead. I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Tylluan: for clarification: So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? Please lets keep it on topic, I have other post on the general pre-Christian thread if its is question outside the topic of Animals in Druidry.

Comment

I do apologize for using the term Mileson and not Son of Mil, this was out of habit and not intended to miss lead. I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Tylluan: for clarification: So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? Please lets keep it on topic, I have other post on the general pre-Christian thread if its is question outside the topic of Animals in Druidry.
                                No problem, I think possibly the best thing is to start afresh and I am quite happy to do this. And I do realise that sometimes people get off onto the wrong foot with each other, so let's put it behind us and start again.

You introduced the idea of the Sons of Mil back at post No. 6 and the whole thing became rather foggy from thereon. So since we've probably gone a bit off course here from the original post about animals in druidry, if you want to discuss the Sons of Mil it could be a good idea to start a new thread maybe? That leaves all the old baggage behind.

I think my main problem is the way myth can be used to back up a theory - don't have a problem with it per se, as long as it's clear what you're doing. Once that's clear it's a good idea in a discussion like this to progress slowly, making sure everything is as clear as possible before moving onwards.

So please, start a thread on the sons of Mil and druidry if you wish and I am happy to take part.

Comment

Working...
                                X