Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days of Brutality

Hail
    As many of us know, history was a pretty bloody course when it came to the conversion of the old heathen people. I, myself, do celebrate days in history of acts and atrocities carried out by the old Christian church. For an example, the 18th day of Thorri, (February 9th) Eyvindur Kinnrifi was tortured to death by having a bowl of red-hot embers placed on his belly. He died when his body burst open, and all for not converting when the Christians captured him. How many of us take note of these days in a type of remembrance, and if you do, what do you do to honor our fallen folk?
    And I hope you're not sick of me yet. Mass posting and what not.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Days of Brutality

I respect my ancestors and family members that have passed recently more than anything. And I'm glad you do the same, but;

---

One thing about your post did pique me a little bit, and forgive me for warmongering/being frank/ranting, this probably isn't the right section/place, but hey ho. I get a little miffed when the 'oh its'a Evil Christian Church Hellbent on Monopolizing Europe' card comes into play, so I'm gonna rant a little;

Eyvindur was executed by Olaf Tryggson (name might be wrong, can't quite remember), a king.
    He was killed by the king, with others, for not converting to the Kings faith, yup sounds right.
    But the way he was killed was a pretty normal execution fashion for the time period, google Medieval Torture and Execution methods.
    The Church was a separate body (though I'm not sure how in Scandinavia during the conversion), while yes, monopolizing Europe was probably high on the agenda it was a Norwegian King killing Norwegian people because he wanted to convert his country. One argument as I understand it is so that he could rule over a joint Christian Scandinavia.

Royalty murdered people and got murdered all the time, good Ol' English King Edward II got disemboweled with a hot iron poker in the 1300s, Inge (Sweed) was poisoned 1100s-ish etc. etc. I read somewhere that 22% (found the link) of all royal deaths in Europe were, let's say 'not natural'.

If the church went around willy nilly torturing and killing everyone who didn't convert why were monks prescribed to record and preserve eddic poetry?

I get this same Irk whenever the Witch Burnings pop up.

Eyvindur died for his beliefs, and I really respect that, as I do with every man and woman in the past, present and future. But please don't label a bloody course History's of atrocities firmly on the Christian Church's head.
    Work hard Play hard.
    What is history?

Comment

This was not a post meant to cause an argument. All I can say to the majority of your post is that it does not matter the face of the perpetrator, but in the name which that offender carries over them. Christianity being that name, you can blame it as a source of violence, just as you can with justification of slavery, the crusades, and, in this new world, the oppression of homosexuals.
      And more so, it was not monks who wrote the eddas. The Poetic Edda is a compilation of old stories that traveled by word of mouth for centuries. The true writer of the Codex Regius is unknown, for it disappeared for centuries. The belief that it was monks is highly unpopular amongst historians today. The prose Edda was documented by a man of the name Snorri Sturluson, who was a famous historian, and politican in Iceland in the 1200s.
      - Finn's Saga

Comment

Yeah, no, we're not having this chat.

There are two paths this thread can go.

1) Discussing how people remember Heathens who've died for their beliefs.

2) Straight to hell.

We aren't gonna have the "Christianity is or is not evil chat". It directly contravenes the purpose of the forum and I really don't have the patience for it. An attempt to continue that joyous topic will be considered a request for me to ship this thread to its final resting place.

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Sorry, I'm having a bad day, I'll let this rest.
          Work hard Play hard.
          What is history?

Comment

If I can find any Anglo-Saxon Heathens who were killed 'for their beliefs' I might well remember them. As it was, the AS were a fairly slippery lot. And the Conversion of AS England was as much political as religious so it didn't really happen that way.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

You can lock this thread. It was not my intention to get into another VS debate
              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                You can lock this thread. It was not my intention to get into another VS debate
                Personally I think you had a potentially good topic here but instead of focusing on "WHO" you tried to make it about "WHY". You could have made it personal and suggested why they were important to you as a person and figure and what you though they brought to the table. Perhaps even countered it with those you think harmed things.

AS a norm though I tend to stay out of the Northern area as my focus lies more in the Hellenic or Native American areas and don't have a deep enough knowledge to speak on this area.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think a discussion about people who died for their beliefs and how one remembers them could be interesting and I haven't seen one before so if it stays there, I'm quite happy to leave the thread open. If I didn't believe the thread had potential then I wouldn't have bothered with a warning. I'm not nearly a nice enough person to give warnings when I feel that harsher methods are more appropriate. If you really want it gone then I can kill it but it doesn't require a lock right this second.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                  X