Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algiz Rune and the Peace Sign

Hail!
    As most of us who study runelore knows, Algiz is a rune of protective qualities. "The Elk" rune is one that I use in many charms against negative energies and ill-intentioned aggression. Here's one of the poems on Algiz

The Rune Poem – Verse XV

The Elk-sedge usually lives in the fen,
    growing in the water. It wounds severely,
    staining with blood any man
    who makes a grab at it.

With that being said, the peace sign is about 57 years old, and was established at one of the many heights of the new aged Runic revivals. This was also a time deep within the high-tensioned conflict of the Cold War, that almost led to near catastrophic outcomes. Gerald Holtom was one of the many activists who were pro nuclear disarment, but he was the father of the world renowned peace sign.
    Now, I may just be crazy, but I feel it's a tad fishy that a universal sign of peace is actually an old rune that empowers the exact opposite while it is in its reversed position
    What are your thoughts?
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Algiz Rune and the Peace Sign

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Hail!
    As most of us who study runelore knows, Algiz is a rune of protective qualities. "The Elk" rune is one that I use in many charms against negative energies and ill-intentioned aggression. Here's one of the poems on Algiz

The Rune Poem – Verse XV

The Elk-sedge usually lives in the fen,
    growing in the water. It wounds severely,
    staining with blood any man
    who makes a grab at it.

With that being said, the peace sign is about 57 years old, and was established at one of the many heights of the new aged Runic revivals. This was also a time deep within the high-tensioned conflict of the Cold War, that almost led to near catastrophic outcomes. Gerald Holtom was one of the many activists who were pro nuclear disarment, but he was the father of the world renowned peace sign.
    Now, I may just be crazy, but I feel it's a tad fishy that a universal sign of peace is actually an old rune that empowers the exact opposite while it is in its reversed position
    What are your thoughts?
    Why is that fishy?

If you look hard enough, you will find runes and bindrunes in all sorts of crazy places, both historically and in more modern times.

Comment

As those of us who seriously study runelore know, the Algiz rune was, until recently, widely used across Northern European countries on tombstones. Algiz (upright) would appear before the date of birth, and Eir (Algiz turned upside down) would appear before the date of death. So the upside down Algiz rune's association with death was why it became associated with the anti-nuclear movement, and others then began using it as a symbol of peace.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
      Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Given previous comments about how the Elder Futhark is more authentic somehow than the Anglo-Saxon one, I would just like to point out that the rune verse you are using comes from the Old English Rune Poem (which translation is it by the way?) and doesn't appear so far as I know in either the Norwegian or Icelandic rune poems.

The thing is that the Anglo-Saxon runes don't just have a meaning and that's the end of it. They are slippery, hard to pin down. And this is in keeping with what we know about Anglo-Saxon poetry. Even the 'Elk Sedge' of the opening line may mean nothing of the sort (it could, for example just as easily mean an elk-hero or even elk-sea although most scholars will opt for the plant interpretation).

The fens too, have layer upon layer of meaning. So I feel personally a llittle uneasy at taking this rune at its apparent face value. My own feeling is that this is a good rune for peace since the plant grows in the marsh minding its own business. It doesn't go looking for trouble yet it is quite capable of defending itself. And in a way that is what peace is all about.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Its semaphore for N and D overlayed. ND, being nuclear disarmament. At least according to what I've read about the supporting documents of them. Not having read them myself, its hard to say... but people have long had their own ideas and agends about it.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Its semaphore for N and D overlayed. ND, being nuclear disarmament. At least according to what I've read about the supporting documents of them. Not having read them myself, its hard to say... but people have long had their own ideas and agends about it.
            Interestingly, according to a later story by the designer, its based on the imagery from the Goya painting The Third of May 1808:

In a sense, Holtom’s design did represent an individual in pursuit of the cause, albeit in an abstract way. The symbol showed the semaphore for the letters N (both flags held down and angled out from the body) and D (one flag pointing up, the other pointing down), standing for Nuclear Disarmament. But some years later in 1973, when Holtom wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News at the time of the formation of the DAC, the designer gave a different explanation of how he had created the symbol.
            It could echo both the frustrations of the anti-nuclear campaign and a sense of optimism."At first he toyed with the idea of using the Christian cross as the dominant motif," Rigby explains in his article, "but realized that 'in Eastern eyes the Christian Cross was synonymous with crusading tyranny culminating in Belsen and Hiroshima and the manufacture and testing of the H-bomb.' He rejected the image of the dove, as it had been appropriated by "the Stalin regime...to bless and legitimize their H-bomb manufacture.'"

Holtom in fact decided to go for a much more personal approach, as he admitted to Brock. "I was in despair. Deep despair," he wrote. "I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya’s peasant before the firing squad. I formalized the drawing into a line and put a circle round it. It was ridiculous at first and such a puny thing."
            In Holtom’s personal notes, reproduced by peace symbol historian Ken Kolsbun, the designer recalls then turning the design into a badge. "I made a drawing of it on a small piece of paper the size of a sixpence and pinned it on to the lapel of my jacket and forgot it," he wrote. "In the evening I went to the post office. The girl behind the counter looked at me and said, 'What is that badge you are wearing?' I looked down in some surprise and saw the ND symbol pinned on my lapel. I felt rather strange and uneasy wearing a badge. 'Oh, that is the new peace symbol,' I said. 'How interesting, are there many of them?' 'No, only one, but I expect there will be quite a lot before long.'"

(source)
            If it is based on the Goya painting, its based on a misremembering of it...arms are the wrong way.

(ETA: unless its the dead guy on the ground and not the guy surrendering)

1280px-El_Tres_de_Mayo,_by_Francisco_de_Goya,_from_Prado_thin_black_margin.jpg

Either way, people have been interpreting it in all sorts of ways for years. Like these guys.

Because we are good at making giant mental leaps to make things mean what we are predisposed towards. We see what we want to see. Like these guys.

I'd call it convergent evolution applied to culture...or coincidence.
            Last edited by thalassa; 03 Mar 2015, 16:22.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I also read about the Goya painting...To me it always looked like a B-52 flying...Though I believe the Japan bomb was dropped by a b-29(Just my take here)
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X